Page 283 of 667 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Not at all what I said. No issue with calling out racism. What I am saying is, there is a boat-load of insults hurled at conservatives/republicans in general in this thread, lumping such a large portion of people into one basket as though it would almost be impossible to be a conservative/republican inserting an attempt at civilized discussion from that point of view on any given single issue. To me, it seems already well established that if you identify as a conservative/republican and have a desire to express those values in this thread, you may as well expect the same level of hatred, insults, ect.
    I mean, you're welcome to try, instead of just coming in here and crying about it.

For example- Trump "the racist." This is something more and more I have seen him labeled as in the media connecting his stance on the border/immigration-trying to keep people out who happen to not be white. Is that a component of his racism? Okay. I can see how someone could see it that way. Its further exacerbated by the unfortunate reality that in order to keep the border intact, people, including children need to be contained in large cage-like structures. However, there are a great many people who believe he is doing it for no other reason than to secure the border, which keeps the nation intact and there are perfectly reasonable arguments that support that stance as well. If the country were to open up and allow anyone and everyone to not just flood into the country, but to benefit from a system they would not be helping to support (including expensive health care), in a very short time, this country would not sustain itself.

I try to keep both sides in mind when I consider this topic. In terms of Trump, I can't say I know the man's real motivation, however, regardless of whoever the president is, I do want to see the nation kept in tact with borders. I believe a lot of good comes from the advancements this country makes (which a lot of the world eventually benefits from) which has only been afforded because of the foundational pillars of law and policy and subsequent prosperity that would not exist without borders. Also, as someone in healthcare, while obviously not perfect, I shudder at the thought of what would happen with a system of completely open borders/free healthcare to all who would come here. What I want to learn more about, is how many of the would-be immigrants are truly seeking asylum and how many are just trying to get into the country for prosperity and are unwilling to do it the legal way because it takes more effort and patience.

I would say though, that the true test on this topic, is that to anybody who supports open borders- if you are not willing to right now, take an immigrant family into your house or, perhaps empty a savings account of a few thousand dollars to cover an immigrant's health expenses for a year (would likely be much higher), than I question that person's integrity on the topic.
    Ok, finally something of substance.

Sorta.

First of all, nobody is arguing for completely open borders, where just anyone and everyone can come and stay. Nobody. so you can cross that off your list of things to argue with.

Secondly of all:

What I want to learn more about, is how many of the would-be immigrants are truly seeking asylum and how many are just trying to get into the country for prosperity and are unwilling to do it the legal way because it takes more effort and patience.
    The facts are out there, if you really are interested in looking for them, and not just seeking to cast aspersions against people who are worse off on their best day than you'll ever be on your worst. The best place to start looking for these facts probably isn't a comic book message board.

Third of all, the main reason health care is so expensive in the United States is because a bunch of rich and powerful people have conspired to make and keep it that way. Your problem should be with them, not with the people who need it.

Fourthly of all, the jab about "take an immigrant family into your house and pay for their healthcare". People aren't looking to move to the US for a free ride. They move because they want to work, to earn the money to look after themselves and their families. They work damn hard, for a lot less money, and everyone knows it.

Nevermind that they are completely overwhelmed with the amount of immigrants that have allowed to cross the border. Just continue to keep that element out of the formula. It must be, has to be evil republicans.
    Doesn't really have much to do with my statement but, what the hell, I'll bite...
    First of all, if the immigration people are overwhelmed it's due to decisions in policy dictated by higher-ups in the administration. Ask yourself who dictated the policy to separate children from their parents - effectively multiplying the number of people to attend too? The parents would've taken care of their own children. Why separate them and create the need for their care and then not provide it? Is it intentional cruelty or incompetence or both?
    Answer those questions if you really want to defend the sort of people who would abuse children.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 07-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Also, my issues with "diversity" in general is that some of it feels forced, via agenda by politicians and media outlets with ulterior motives.
    If it sometimes feels 'forced', maybe that's because sometimes it has to be, because there are some people who only want to see/hear able-bodied, heterosexsual, cisgender, rich, white, 'Christian' men.

And isn't it interesting how that one very specific sub-group has come to mean 'the majority', with everyone who doesn't fit all, or any, of those categories being marginalized as a minority?

Many prominant democrats are advocating for...free health care for all.
    And that would be bad because...?

How much money did you say you donated to alleviate those children at the border?

Just curious.
    How would donating money get them out of overcrowded prison camps where they're forced to sleep on concrete floors, covered in their own filth? To whom should we be making these donations?

Just curious.

They are not "concentration camps" as the term is most commonly associated with Nazi germany. Not even close.
    They are indeed, by many commonly accepted definitions of the term. They're not actual death camps (yet), but death camps is a subset of the larger group of facilities that fall under the classification of 'concentration camps'.

AOC has been called out by jews because of her ridiculous labeling. The people who use that term to describe the camps at the border...man, the credibility just plummets.
    And she's been backed up by many more who agree with her. The people who only mention the ones who disagree with her to discredit her trying to actually do something about children being locked in cages...man, the credibility just plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    A forum that has a problem with cruelty and fascism is not automatically an "echo chamber."
    I'd agree here, but it does require accurately diagnosing fascism and cruelty.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The problem with saying that the holocaust has an exclusive to the term 'concentration camp' makes it much more difficult to ensure that the two most important words to arise from it to be a reality. Those two words are 'never again.'

And FDR called the Japanese internment camps 'concentration camps', so clearly the words aren't exclusive. The ones run by the nazis are more accurately called 'death camps', but even those didn't start out that way. They worked up to it bit by bit, starting with dehumanizing their victims and escalating towards mass slaughter over the course of time.

And seeing some similar language being used against both groups ("Not even human, they are animals" has been spoken out loud both then and now) makes it harder and harder not to see parallels.
    Exactly. "Never again" doesn't mean, "Wait until it starts happening again". It means cut that **** off before it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Ok, finally something of substance.

Sorta.

First of all, nobody is arguing for completely open borders, where just anyone and everyone can come and stay. Nobody. so you can cross that off your list of things to argue with.

Secondly of all:

The facts are out there, if you really are interested in looking for them, and not just seeking to cast aspersions against people who are worse off on their best day than you'll ever be on your worst. The best place to start looking for these facts probably isn't a comic book message board.

Third of all, the main reason health care is so expensive in the United States is because a bunch of rich and powerful people have conspired to make and keep it that way. Your problem should be with them, not with the people who need it.

Fourthly of all, the jab about "take an immigrant family into your house and pay for their healthcare". People aren't looking to move to the US for a free ride. They move because they want to work, to earn the money to look after themselves and their families. They work damn hard, for a lot less money, and everyone knows it.
    If you are in a country where you have no legal status, is it more or less likely that you will always be working for a lot less money?

I never said the camps were ideal. The point is, they are abstractly being compared to the most associated, commonly referred to thing connected with that word- Nazi concentration camps (you know, for that much needed emotional affect).
    It's not 'abstract' to compare a thing to another thing that is similar. It's calling a spade a goddamn shovel.

Perhaps if there was more funding (not being blocked)
    They're spending $770 per captive, per night. How much do you think toothbrushes cost?

or donations from more of the people outcrying over them, they could be improved.
    People have turned up with goods to donate. They're being turned away.

The captives in the concentration camps aren't denied blankets or toothbrushes or soap or basic human fucking dignity because there's not enough money for those things. They're being denied those things as a deliberate choice. This isn't pointless cruelty we're seeing here. The cruelty is the point.

At the same time, again, I ask how many of the immigrants are truly seeking asylum and not just wanting to get in the easier way?
    Again, you seek to cast aspersions and try to dismiss genuine refugees as 'economic migrants'. If you were really that interested in knowing the facts, you'd have them by now. they're not difficult to find.

The other curious aspect about this, with as heavily this is covered in the media, it's safe to say that these people crossing the border know A) it's illegal and will likely feel some form of repercussion and B) may end up in a detention area...yet they do it anyway. Strange.
    Maybe they're hoping to encounter somebody with some basic human decency? If so, I guess they've come to the wrong country. You seem to have run out.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you are in a country where you have no legal status, is it more or less likely that you will always be working for a lot less money?
    Of course. I wasn't trying to imply that it was by choice.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 07-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.

The camps were used during the Obama administration as well, chum.
    Yep. I've been waiting for this one. I think we got Bingo here, guys!

Here's a little something I wrote about that the other night, after giving it a bit of thought. I figured someone would give me an excuse to post it here sooner or later.

There’s been a curious response from sections of the American Right, regarding the cruel, inhumane, and downright despicable treatment of the human beings that the US government currently has locked away in concentration camps, under the guise of ‘border protection’.

“Obama did it too.”

First of all, no. Obama didn’t do it too. Obama didn’t lock children in cages for months on end, without blankets, without soap or toothbrushes, without clean drinking water. There has been much written about what Obama actually did and didn’t do, and I’m not interested in rehashing basic facts here.

What I am interested in, is asking one simple question. If we were to accept, just for a minute, that your claims are true - that under President Obama, human beings were kept in conditions worse that the roughest prison in the US; conditions that, were you to keep animals in a similar fashion, you would be prosecuted; if you were to keep your own children in these conditions, those children would be taken away from you, and you would be branded not just an unfit parent, but an unfit human being - the question that comes to mind is this...

Where were you?

You, the people who opposed everything, real or imagined (mostly the latter), President Obama said, and did, and even thought about doing? Where was your constant Obama-bashing when children were being locked up in these ghastly camps, under the most abhorrent conditions? Where were the hourly Fox News updates on conditions inside the Obama Camps?

You howled with indignation when President Obama gave a televised address to children in schools, espousing the subversive, anti-American values of *checks notes* working hard and staying in school. You lost your collective minds when the First Lady suggested that eating...what was it again? Fruits and vegetables? Might be a good idea for American children?

You protested loudly and furiously against those things, and a thousand others, but were suddenly nowhere to be heard when the President of the United States was supposedly locking babies in cages? After all the trivial, ridiculous crap you carried on with, when you weren’t just outright making stuff up to get mad about, that was the one and only thing you didn’t think was worth raising a fuss over?

Really?

Not a word? Not one poorly-spelled, single run-on sentence, grammatical nightmare of a Facebook post? Not a single newspaper or television editorial? Not a solitary fucking peep, in eight years, about Obama locking children in cages, sleeping on concrete, covered in their own ****?

Nothing? From any of you?

So, then. Given that you claim that these conditions existed under President Obama, and given the deafening silence emanating from the entirety of the American Right in response, the casual observer can only draw two possible conclusions:

1: you’re lying, or

2: you loved the idea of brown people in concentration camps even more than you hated the idea of black people in the White House.

Which is it?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

They are indeed, by many commonly accepted definitions of the term. They're not actual death camps (yet), but death camps is a subset of the larger group of facilities that fall under the classification of 'concentration camps'.

And she's been backed up by many more who agree with her. The people who only mention the ones who disagree with her to discredit her trying to actually do something about children being locked in cages...man, the credibility just plummets.
    Among those people who agree with AOC is George Takei who spent time in one of those camps as a child.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wow. I'm sorry you feel that way. If anybody ever wondered why your everyday Joe White taxpayer, with his head down, just trying to keep his sanity as trudges back and forth to work eveyday is becoming more and more agitated with the democratic party, look no further than this quote.

Jesus, man. Way to go with more of your insulting generalizations and assumptions.
    Speaking of generalizations and assumptions, you just literally described me. The only thing I'd take issue with is that, yes, I am becoming more and more agitated with the Democrat Party (and my own country's equivalent, the Australian Labor Party), but it's not because they're a bunch of horrible anti-white bigots that want to take my money and give it all to brown people. It's because they're not fighting hard enough against the cruel and inhumane policies and actions of both our countries' current governments.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    A forum that has a problem with cruelty and fascism is not automatically an "echo chamber."
    I would like to echo this sentiment.

Heeheehee

Speaking of generalizations and assumptions, you just literally described me. The only thing I'd take issue with is that, yes, I am becoming more and more agitated with the Democrat Party (and my own country's equivalent, the Australian Labor Party), but it's not because they're a bunch of horrible anti-white bigots that want to take my money and give it all to brown people. It's because they're not fighting hard enough against the cruel and inhumane policies and actions of both our countries' current governments.
    Without taking a side here...

If you are potentially losing some "Joe White Taxpayer"(which I would personally still chalk up to "Unproven Assertion...") votes(never mind legal Latino immigrants/citizens. We won't really be able to judge that until we see Trump's numbers in the next Presidential election), does it put you in a more or less likely position to be able to fight against those policies?