Page 528 of 667 FirstFirst ... 28428478518524525526527528529530531532538578628 ... LastLast
Results 7,906 to 7,920 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    We still have to deal with the horrible electoral college system so at the end of the day it all comes down to who undecided voters in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan want to be president. The rest of our opinions don’t matter. Most of the “progressive left” voters I’m willing to bet are on the coasts. Biden has pretty much been running as President of the Swing States. It may be a good strategy.

The polling in 2016 was actually pretty accurate. Nationally it had Clinton winning 51% to 49%. Which she did. But we aren’t working with a popular vote system.
    We are 1-3 election cycles away from the EC being moot due to population sizes in big cities in every state.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax is suing CBS for $400,000,000 for interviewing two women who accused him of sexual assault.

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) on Thursday filed a $400 million defamation lawsuit against CBS Corp. and CBS Broadcasting in New York, accusing the organization of publishing false statements from two women who accused him of sexual assault.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Virginia's Eastern District, came in response to CBS interviews with the accusers the network conducted in February.

"Fairfax brings this action to restore his reputation and clear his name, ensure the truth prevails, stop the weaponization of false allegations of sexual assault against him, and vindicate his rights under civil law," the lawsuit says.

Fairfax has denied the accusations made by Vanessa Tyson and Meredith Watson. Tyson says Fairfax forced her to perform oral sex on him at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

Watson, who said Fairfax raped her while they attended Duke University, came forward in an interview with CBS's Gayle King.

The women went public with their accusations after many called on Gov. Ralph Northam (D) to resign after a photo from his medical school yearbook page resurfaced showing people in blackface. If Northam had resigned, Fairfax would have become governor.

"We stand by our reporting and we will vigorously defend this lawsuit," CBS News said in a statement to The Hill.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Was Andrew Gilliam a "local midterm"?
    Was he running for president?

I can name more from 2018 if you'd like.
    Name as many as you want. It doesn't change that state and local elections are a world apart from the presidential races.

And....local midterm wins like AOC get used by the myth purveyors all the time! The ONLY examples of your myth that exist are "local midterms".
    If thats your argument...take a look in the mirror.
    Nothing to say about Kerry and company, huh?

Read the vox article. It uses data as opposed to self-service as a basis for a conclusion. I will repeat: I want Republican losses. You get those unicorns to the ballots for someone -anyone! - at a governor/senator level and I will agree with you its worth investing in. But it hasnt happened...pretty much ever. Until then, the myth side of this is literally evident.
    Enjoy reliving 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Historically more Democrats vote in presidential elections than midterms, and the gap between them is much larger with Democrats than with Republicans.
    2018 may have ended that gap, at least temporarily.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ctions-turnout

There are some questions about what that means going forward. Will Trump be even less popular when he's on the ballot? Will he increase turnout among white working class voters? Will more conservatives/ moderates back him if it's a race against a problematic Democrat?

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Except nobody can accurately predict who's going to win a presidential race. 'Electability' is a myth. John Kerry, Mitt Romney, and Hillary Clinton all won their party's primary because they were seen as the most electable. So tell me, where'd that get them?
    They did run at times when the parties are historically not favored. There's no indication that Dean or Gephardt would have outperformed Kerry, or that Santorum or Gingrich would have outperformed Romney.

Clinton's in a bit of a different situation since so many other potential top contenders (Biden, Booker, Klobuchar, Warren) chose not to run, more because of her advantages in a primary than the perception that she would be more electable than someone like Sherrod Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am still amazed that people don't remember that she won by 3 million votes and the results in WI and MI were suspect to say the least. Not to mention other States like OH and NC. That plus the Russians, saying "she lost" is ignoring what happened.
    Hillary winning the popular vote by 3 million votes against one of the worst general election candidates ever doesn't indicate that she's electable, especially when the election isn't determined by the popular vote. Her ability to increase turnout in California and New York was meaningless.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Hillary winning the popular vote by 3 million votes against one of the worst general election candidates ever doesn't indicate that she's electable, especially when the election isn't determined by the popular vote. Her ability to increase turnout in California and New York was meaningless.
    No, but the efforts in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin to decrease turnout, in "certain areas" was.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, but the efforts in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin to decrease turnout, in "certain areas" was.
    I think all those things needed to fall into place for Trump to win, and have to hope he hasn't managed to mess things up in his favor with the time he has been given.

Hilary was a bad candidate. However, there wasn't a decent alternative who chose to run.

Russian interference.

Comey's public stupidity, coupled with remaining silent about Trump (if he spoke about both or was silent about both I think the effect would have been blunted)

Voter suppression.

The unforced error of taking the blue wall for granted, paired with the unforced error of having proxies put their thumbs on the scale in the primary when it wasn't even needed. DWS may have done it on her own, but by giving her even a meaningless job it didn't look that way.

The global trend of wanting someone from outside the establishment to take the reins, despite the consequences. It flies in the face of someone like Clinton, who is in insider even among other insiders.

Remove one, maybe two of those things and I think the election turns out differently.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Was he running for president?

Name as many as you want. It doesn't change that state and local elections are a world apart from the presidential races.

Nothing to say about Kerry and company, huh?

Enjoy reliving 2004.
    Wait...you think limiting the conversation to Presidential elections helps you? Wha? No left wing Presidential candidate has ever won either. (Nor do I find the "all the eggs in the President basket" mentality a good one but that's another issue)

But,sure, lets only talk Presidents. Every primary for President there are progressives....where is this sizable voting bloc to push them to the nomination?

You have literally zero examples of your approach working. I have literally all Democrats who ever actually won the Presidency.

So.....why should I entertain your position?
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 09-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax is suing CBS for $400,000,000 for interviewing two women who accused him of sexual assault.

Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) on Thursday filed a $400 million defamation lawsuit against CBS Corp. and CBS Broadcasting in New York, accusing the organization of publishing false statements from two women who accused him of sexual assault.

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Virginia's Eastern District, came in response to CBS interviews with the accusers the network conducted in February.

"Fairfax brings this action to restore his reputation and clear his name, ensure the truth prevails, stop the weaponization of false allegations of sexual assault against him, and vindicate his rights under civil law," the lawsuit says.

Fairfax has denied the accusations made by Vanessa Tyson and Meredith Watson. Tyson says Fairfax forced her to perform oral sex on him at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

Watson, who said Fairfax raped her while they attended Duke University, came forward in an interview with CBS's Gayle King.

The women went public with their accusations after many called on Gov. Ralph Northam (D) to resign after a photo from his medical school yearbook page resurfaced showing people in blackface. If Northam had resigned, Fairfax would have become governor.

"We stand by our reporting and we will vigorously defend this lawsuit," CBS News said in a statement to The Hill.
    "Right About Now..." would be a good time for the Democratic Party to get it's butt in gear about seriously addressing if the Party is fine with what this guy is doing.

For all of Trump's talk about the press being the "Enemy Of The People...", his isn't suing the news arm of the network that interviewed women who accused him of rape.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Time for another debate! I'm ready for some normal conversations and discussions, how about you?

Amy opens with the dad jokes and Yang kicks off with some sort of promotional ad. Pete Buttigieg is thrown for a loop at that.

"I know you're watching Donald." "You can go back to Fox News now, Trump." Damn, Harris is going hard.

Also, Bernie Sanders seems to be sick. That voice.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 09-12-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Biden calling Bernie President like he called Booker that in the last debate. Castro going at him for forgetting what he said a couple minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Biden calling Bernie President like he called Booker that in the last debate. Castro going at him for forgetting what he said a couple minutes ago.
    Castro threw me for a loop. He's usually so calm so that lashing out left me stunned.

"Trump didn't pull the trigger but he sure is tweeting out the ammunition."

GODDAMN that line. Bravo Harris.

Klobuchar saying that the time is now was right on.

Well, ABC are running a tight ship.