Page 128 of 191 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2861

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Golly gee whillickers! Why am I not shocked by this revelation? I wonder what those Log Cabin Republicans who supported Caramel Caligula back in 2016 think of him now that his administration has thrown the LGBTQ community under the bus?
    They're fine with it since it's 'just' the 'transgenders'. Plenty of gay people out there who reject the T in the LGBTQ, sad to say.

But, hey. They're Republicans so they're just fine with #$@$ you I got mine' right up until they end run their way to reinstituting discrimination everywhere they can. See legislation to help Chik-Fil-A

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.1a5ca1a15cd6

ter the San Antonio City Council voted to ban the fast-food chain Chick-fil-A from the city’s airport because of its history of anti-LGTBQ statements and actions, many prominent Texas Republicans were in up in arms, saying it violated the First Amendment.
    This week, about three months after that effort, the state’s Republican-controlled House passed a measure to try to prevent further actions. The “Save Chick-fil-A” bill explicitly forbids the government from taking “any adverse action,” against any person, contractor or business for its membership in or affiliation with a religious organization.
    The bill met vociferous opposition from Democrats, including the legislature’s LGBTQ members who made several attempts to block it, according to the Texas Tribune, calling it a bill of hatred that was being disguised by its stated purpose of religious liberty. Some have expressed concerns that it is written so broadly that it could effectively require certain governmental entities to work with virulently anti-gay, but ostensibly religious groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church.

Meanwhile, Chik-Fil-A continues to funnel millions into anti LGBTQ groups.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Multiple tornadoes touched down here in MO last night, including in the capital. There are reports of some injuries and deaths, and massive damage naturally, but nobody seems to have a clear report yet. Just, damn.
    The remnants of that storm system are headed east for my neck of the woods here in Philly. Forecasts are calling for strong to severe thunderstorms blowing through the region between five and nine p.m. today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They're fine with it since it's 'just' the 'transgenders'. Plenty of gay people out there who reject the T in the LGBTQ, sad to say.

But, hey. They're Republicans so they're just fine with #$@$ you I got mine' right up until they end run their way to reinstituting discrimination everywhere they can. See legislation to help Chik-Fil-A

I stopped eating there years ago after learning of their virulent anti-LGBTQ stances. Discrimination against gays today could easily morph into discrimination against minorities like me tomorrow.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 JDogindy's Avatar

I used to identify as bisexual but then I realized how that wasn't making me feel happy about my worth, until I recognized that asexuality not only is common among autistics, but is healthy and should not be condemned.

That being said, the idea of a man uninterested in romantic encounters of any kind sets off just as much panic.

I stopped eating there years ago after learning of their virulent anti-LGBTQ stances. Discrimination against gays today could easily morph into discrimination against minorities like me tomorrow.
    I've never been a fan, even before the LGBT issues. Honestly something's happened to crunchy fast food chicken sandwiches in the last year or 2, and the only one that's not half-rubber is the Chicken Schnitzel from Weinershcnitzel.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I used to identify as bisexual but then I realized how that wasn't making me feel happy about my worth, until I recognized that asexuality not only is common among autistics, but is healthy and should not be condemned.

That being said, the idea of a man uninterested in romantic encounters of any kind sets off just as much panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've never been a fan, even before the LGBT issues. Honestly something's happened to crunchy fast food chicken sandwiches in the last year or 2, and the only one that's not half-rubber is the Chicken Schnitzel from Weinershcnitzel.
    Well, I went there more for the chicken salad sammiches which I enjoyed. No matter, I can live without them.

There are a number of companies I avoid. Ones like Chic-Fil-A, others where the owner is a Big Republican/Trump supporter, like Nathan's Hot Dog. You can't boycott everyone, but you can try to make sure your money doesn't support the most egregious ones.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Well, I went there more for the chicken salad sammiches which I enjoyed. No matter, I can live without them.
    I've seen knock off recipes for their chicken which I suppose one could try if you really liked their chicken. I know the knock-off McRib one I found works well since I can tweak it's spices and mix my own sauce.

Imagine what would happen if someone went to court and argued: "Yes, they might have run over a kid while driving drunk, and maybe they could have done more to prevent that, but it's really the kid's fault for trying to cross the street while they were driving. There are just too many kids crossing streets these days to miss them all."

I just don't buy it. Any system that involves using deliberate mistreatment as a deterrent is going to to have deaths at some point. The deaths aren't anomalous , they are the point.
    As Ms. Pelosi pointed out, not a single child died in US custody in the decade before Trump. Now it's six.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are a number of companies I avoid. Ones like Chic-Fil-A, others where the owner is a Big Republican/Trump supporter, like Nathan's Hot Dog. You can't boycott everyone, but you can try to make sure your money doesn't support the most egregious ones.
    I'm kinda big on this (fuck, didn't know that about Nathan's, glad I've not eaten more than a few of their Dogs in life). Big corporate avoidance is harder than it has ever been yet easier at the same time- for some things, if that makes sense. It's a tangled nest and this Trump tariff hammer is gonna be huge I feel. Larger capital items are not in the short term budget for the foreseeable future in my household but bay-bee, If our Chinese overlords really want to put the screws to us, than can. Their brick and mortar agents are full of their stuff. That's the tangible goods you can hold in your hand before you purchase, I don't know what people do who purchase the majority of things on the interwebz. I feel I'm gonna wake up and all of the Dollar stores will be becoming $3 dollar stores. Looking for American made products is part time work in of itself.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I didn't know about Nathan's. I avoid Jimmy John's because of the 'no compete' clause they force every employee to sign - it basically means you can't work anywhere that serves any combination of meat and bread. Thankfully, I leave closer to a Kneader's and a Capriotti's than a Jimmy John's, so the loss is minimal.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Okay, where did this come from?

Rex Tillerson, a man who is “dumb as a rock” and totally ill prepared and ill equipped to be Secretary of State, made up a story (he got fired) that I was out-prepared by Vladimir Putin at a meeting in Hamburg, Germany. I don’t think Putin would agree. Look how the U.S. is doing!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Geezus! How long has it been since Tillerson left/was fired? More proof Trump is seriously incapable of letting go of a grudge.

Imagine what would happen if someone went to court and argued: "Yes, they might have run over a kid while driving drunk, and maybe they could have done more to prevent that, but it's really the kid's fault for trying to cross the street while they were driving. There are just too many kids crossing streets these days to miss them all."

I just don't buy it. Any system that involves using deliberate mistreatment as a deterrent is going to to have deaths at some point. The deaths aren't anomalous , they are the point.
    To go with the metaphor, we don't yet have evidence that anyone was driving drunk or who was in the car. There's a bit of a difference here on speculation. The sources suggest that it's not clear yet why the kids died in terms of negligence, whereas you think it's clear why and JCAII thinks the main cause of speculation is whether much worse has happened that we don't yet know about.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    That's kind of the Republican MO these days, their blatantly evil policies and their opponents' inability to do anything to hold them accountable for that is as potent a demonstration of their power as anything else.
    PwdOn, the article I cited is from Vox, which is hardly a Republican news outlet.

It's one thing to talk about punishment, but what's the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Tillerson made some recent comments against Trump in an interview, and he does appear eager to speak with House Democrats, so there is new material to piss off the President.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

The Republican legislation is in response to elected Democrats using the law to punish a fast food chain. The Democrats made the first move, and probably on a bad issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The irony of this is that it would be in the Republican's benefit to jump on it. Seriously, with renewable energy sources you can produce locally and so you don't have to import nearly as much oil. Modifying cities and towns as well as upgrading gas stations and creating new locations would introduce much needed jobs. You introduce a tax incentive to the auto industry to introduce electric power into cars to eventually phase out oil so long as production is kept in the US. Therefore you can introduce jobs to the country and keep them there. As well as you can shut up the climate crowd and be hailed as heroes in the process. Phasing out oil wouldn't happen over night so you're looking at a decade or more of praise and job growth for that decision possibly keeping politicians in office.

It's baffling they don't at least consider the monetary benefit of this because that oil money is only as good as the source of it.
    From a purely economic perspective, the US benefits from some of those non-green policies. Our energy production is roughly 90% of consumption, and there are advantages to some non-renewable forms of energy (oil is easy to transport and cheap.)

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...us_energy_home

Other countries are failing to meet their goals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.e01dfdd91e33

Renewable energy sources do have disadvantages in terms of costs and efficiency.

This isn't a case of pure upside. There are serious tradeoffs, even if you think a switch is necessary. And it's just about what the US does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To go with the metaphor, we don't yet have evidence that anyone was driving drunk or who was in the car. There's a bit of a difference here on speculation. The sources suggest that it's not clear yet why the kids died in terms of negligence, whereas you think it's clear why and JCAII thinks the main cause of speculation is whether much worse has happened that we don't yet know about.
    I remember around when this whole child detention thing started. In Virginia there were wild reports that children were regularly beaten, stripped naked, and strapped to chairs with bags on their head for full days. The government sent someone in to investigate these wild claims and found...they were basically true. But none of that legally constituted abuse *cough*bullshit*cough*, so it was allowed to continue. The Venn diagram overlap between the children we're legally torturing and those that actually die in out custody is completely academic in my eyes, so I stick by my analogy.