Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
Let’s imagine that a married politician gets up to some sexual shenanigans.

Er...like they do from time to time, and like dear old Boris Johnson has done repeatedly over the years.

There’s a line of defence always trotted out on these occasions that always leaves me feeling distinctly uneasy.

Namely the “Private life should stay private, it has nothing to do with public service”.

To a limited extent I accept that. But it really is to a limited extent. A large part of me thinks any politician that is happy cheating wife, is not going to give a rats arse about cheating the public as well.

Some either has honesty and integrity or they don’t..if they are dishonest in private life, they will act similarly in public service.

Maybe I’m wrong. But certainly always surprised at people that pretend to be family loving moralists are so very often happy to trot out line “private life and public should be kept separate”...as long as a very senior politician is involved!
It goes out the window when you have campaign stops where Evangelicals declare you a Christian paragon. You can't declare someone utterly immoral as a moral champion and be surprised when people take exception that the supposed "chosen one" bragged on camera about sexually assaulting women, and lies about charitable donations. To name but a few egregious sins.