Page 198 of 667 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Let’s imagine that a married politician gets up to some sexual shenanigans.

Er...like they do from time to time, and like dear old Boris Johnson has done repeatedly over the years.

There’s a line of defence always trotted out on these occasions that always leaves me feeling distinctly uneasy.

Namely the “Private life should stay private, it has nothing to do with public service”.

To a limited extent I accept that. But it really is to a limited extent. A large part of me thinks any politician that is happy cheating wife, is not going to give a rats arse about cheating the public as well.

Some either has honesty and integrity or they don’t..if they are dishonest in private life, they will act similarly in public service.

Maybe I’m wrong. But certainly always surprised at people that pretend to be family loving moralists are so very often happy to trot out line “private life and public should be kept separate”...as long as a very senior politician is involved!
    It goes out the window when you have campaign stops where Evangelicals declare you a Christian paragon. You can't declare someone utterly immoral as a moral champion and be surprised when people take exception that the supposed "chosen one" bragged on camera about sexually assaulting women, and lies about charitable donations. To name but a few egregious sins.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Trump made a statement, and his defense is, "I NEVER EVEN MET HER!"

Carroll's article has a photo showing her meeting Donald and Ivana Trump in 1987, nine years before the 1996 assault. So he's already been proven to be lying.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Intresting that while were here in the states having Trump claiming he doesn't know Carroll and people shouting liar, Finland just gave an award to Chizuko Ueno, leading scholar on Feminism in Japan. There's a lot about this article that's interesting, and some of what she says, I have to wonder, if in the states there's something similar going on in regard to how women tend to cover up their intelligence especially in certain fields, and about the different models of how money is made in the family. She also at first didn't want to give a speech, which seems to play into what she's talking about in the speech. Has some really interesting bits about Sexual harassment and assault as seen in Japan, and the fact that some Male students see their victims as "Stupid".

https://japantoday.com/category/nati...human-disaster

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Let’s imagine that a married politician gets up to some sexual shenanigans.

Er...like they do from time to time, and like dear old Boris Johnson has done repeatedly over the years.

There’s a line of defence always trotted out on these occasions that always leaves me feeling distinctly uneasy.

Namely the “Private life should stay private, it has nothing to do with public service”.

To a limited extent I accept that. But it really is to a limited extent. A large part of me thinks any politician that is happy cheating wife, is not going to give a rats arse about cheating the public as well.

Some either has honesty and integrity or they don’t..if they are dishonest in private life, they will act similarly in public service.

Maybe I’m wrong. But certainly always surprised at people that pretend to be family loving moralists are so very often happy to trot out line “private life and public should be kept separate”...as long as a very senior politician is involved!
    Ehhhh idk

Mike Pence is famous for not even letting women be around him without his wife. Meanwhile the Kennedy’s all fucked everything with a pulse that walked near them. You’d be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Ehhhh idk

Mike Pence is famous for not even letting women be around him without his wife. Meanwhile the KennedyÂ’s all fucked everything with a pulse that walked near them. YouÂ’d be surprised
    It’s the thought of people like JFK...immoral in many respects but at least a half way decent President..that maybe makes me think I should be a bit more open minded on this issue than I am.

The other thought that should also make me more open minded is that my own tendency to immorality has some “flexible areas”.

( i.e. I can easily imagine doing some immoral things myself...indeed have done a few..but cannot imagine doing others...so I have to concede it’s possible to have integrity in some areas and not others.)

But I’d hope some one who aspires to high political office would have considerable integrity in most areas of their character..private as well as public. I do think at some level there’s a strong connection between private morality and fitness for public service.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 06-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Can we play "caption this" on this thread? I mean, it is "all purpose"?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Can we play "caption this" on this thread? I mean, it is "all purpose"?

*record scratch*

Yep, that's me. You may be wondering how I got into this situation.

On a 'small things to use less carbon' note I just purchased an ebike which should be arriving at my house in 2-3 weeks. It's only a couple of miles to work and I can ride pretty much year round where I live. I'm fortunate to live in a place with devoted bike lanes though - that makes the choice much easier.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

"Somali pirates gave me toothpaste & soap"

That just about says it all, doesn't it?

Soaring temperatures will raise the risk of armed conflict

A new analysis in Nature finds that climate change has likely played a relatively small role in driving armed conflict so far. But if temperatures reach more than 2 °C above preindustrial levels, it may substantially increase violence around the globe.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What I don't get is that the far right were making comments online on how Obama was going to institute some emergency so he can stay in office. I don't know why they thought that but they don't seem to have any problems with trump doing this.
    Because Trump isn’t black, and racist right wingers, conservatives and Republicans couldn’t tolerate Obama in office a second longer than absolutely necessary. No other explanation is required.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Because Trump isn’t black, and racist right wingers, conservatives and Republicans couldn’t tolerate Obama in office a second longer than absolutely necessary. No other explanation is required.
    That's pretty much it. They can claim that they're not racist all they want, but they always let something slip that shows just how racist they really are.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I fear that may have already happened, the bodies just haven’t been found yet. But, once they do turn up, and they will, this administration is too damn inept to keep a monstrous secret like that under wraps for very long, all hell will break loose.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I fear that may have already happened, the bodies just haven’t been found yet. But, once they do turn up, and they will, this administration is too damn inept to keep a monstrous secret like that under wraps for very long, all hell will break loose.
    I just know people are going to find ditches full of bodies one day, and absolutely nobody is going to be surprised where they came from.
    And a distressingly large number of people will cheer.