Page 527 of 667 FirstFirst ... 27427477517523524525526527528529530531537577627 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,905 of 10005

In the previous opinion poll by ABC and the WP, Trump's net approval rating was -3.
    In the new poll, it's at -18.

That is quite a slide.
    Last edited by SquirrelMan; 09-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Bolton swears that it was he who quit.

He is a ruthless war monger, but less of a liar than Trump, so I'll buy it.
    Beelzebub is less of a liar than Trump. It is the lowest of bars.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Trump to H.R. McMaster "I miss you."

Oh brother

As frustration with Bolton mounted, Trump reached out to ex-adviser McMaster

WASHINGTON — As President Donald Trump began losing confidence in national security adviser John Bolton, whom he fired on Tuesday, he reached out to the man he had fired to give Bolton the job: retired Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster.

In phone calls to McMaster — the first of which took place last fall — Trump told his second national security adviser that he misses him, according to two people familiar with the conversations. It’s a sentiment the president has also expressed to White House aides, they said. Trump has solicited McMaster's advice on various national security challenges, even asking McMaster who he should nominate to lead the Pentagon, they said.

Trump's contacts with McMaster perhaps presaged his decision Tuesday to unceremoniously fire Bolton. They also marked a significant a remarkable shift for the president that is emblematic of how much Bolton fell out of favor since Trump welcomed him into the White House 17 months ago. At that time, Trump was barely speaking to McMaster and regularly did derogatory impressions of him in his absence, according to multiple current and former White House officials.

Like Bolton, McMaster’s firing also transpired hastily and was announced publicly by the president on Twitter. Bolton later said he resigned, and was not fired. Trump's patience for Bolton ultimately wore thin; aides say Trump was close to firing Bolton earlier this year, even putting his name on a list of officials he'd like to get rid of before the end of the year, after which such moves might have a negative effect on his re-election campaign, officials said.
    Last edited by Tami; 09-10-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Bolton swears that it was he who quit.

He is a ruthless war monger, but less of a liar than Trump, so I'll buy it.
    Nothing like two damn near 70 year old men with differing accounts of whom dumped whom. Via Twitter.

Something, something about highest levels of government in there too.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

I can sleep easier knowing Boltonís gone. Fuck him. He would have gotten us in a 20 year with Iran if he had his way

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    ^GOP candidate for governor shoots a process server in the back...
    ("But both parties are just as bad, you guys.")
    I don't think a guy who gets 1.2% is proof of anything.

House of Commons speaker John Bercow announces plans to step down

I'm finding this an interesting glimpse inside British Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I can sleep easier knowing Bolton’s gone. Fuck him. He would have gotten us in a 20 year with Iran if he had his way
    They undoubtedly plan on replacing him with someone worse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    House of Commons speaker John Bercow announces plans to step down

I'm finding this an interesting glimpse inside British Politics.
    Its both simultaneously better AND worse then US politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Bolton tried to quit first, according to Bolton.
    According to NPR Bolton offered his resignation, they asked him to think about and they'd meet the next day to discuss it. Bolton shows up the next day and they ask for his resignation. Because at this point public perception still matters apparently?
    Honestly, I'm just glad Bolton is out. If they can manage to not replace him with someone worse I guess it's a win imo.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    According to NPR Bolton offered his resignation, they asked him to think about and they'd meet the next day to discuss it. Bolton shows up the next day and they ask for his resignation. Because at this point public perception still matters apparently?
    Honestly, I'm just glad Bolton is out. If they can manage to not replace him with someone worse I guess it's a win imo.
    This. Although Bolton is so eager for a war that it should be difficult to find someone worse, even for Trump. I'm sure he can, but it will take a bit of effort, and he hates that
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Astonishing Member

Honestly? Losing Bolton is probably the closest thing Trump's ever done to a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    This. Although Bolton is so eager for a war that it should be difficult to find someone worse, even for Trump. I'm sure he can, but it will take a bit of effort, and he hates that
    How John Bolton Broke the National Security Council

The irony of John Bolton’s tenure as national security adviser, which ended Monday night and was confirmed by presidential tweet on Tuesday morning, is that upon the news of his initial appointment, most foreign-policy experts in Washington worried about the damage Mr. Bolton could do abroad. He was known for his hard-line views on North Korea, Iran and other issues, and several fretted about the wars this irascible firebrand might persuade an inexperienced president to start.

Yet Mr. Bolton’s legacy is not of destruction overseas, but dysfunction in Washington. To pursue his own policy agenda and serve an erratic president, in just 17 months Mr. Bolton effectively destroyed the National Security Council system, the intricate structure that governed American foreign policy since the end of World War II. Mr. Bolton’s most lasting legacy will be dismantling the structure that has kept American foreign policy from collapsing into chaos, and finally unshackling an irregular commander-in-chief.
    Although denied high-level positions early in the Trump administration, Mr. Bolton, who replaced General McMaster in April 2018, could have been a good fit for the job under an inexperienced president. Compared with Mr. Flyyn and General McMaster, Mr. Bolton is a seasoned Washington player, one who considers himself a “good bureaucrat.” Even if he never shared all Mr. Trump’s policy preferences, Mr. Bolton was well positioned to work the levers of government for him.

Instead, Mr. Bolton decided to break the interagency system that had served as the heart of American foreign policy for over seven decades. Driven by confidence in his own ideas about what government should do and how it should run, he had in mind something closer to Roosevelt’s juggling: The president in a room with the national security adviser and a few aides making decisions about most important issues in the world. To realize that plan, Mr. Bolton included fewer people in meetings, made council sessions far less regular, and raced to always be by Mr. Trump’s side. There was no longer a National Security Council, in effect, just a national security adviser.

Mr. Bolton broke government and then it broke him. As the national security adviser, he pushed for a hard line on North Korea, Iran, Venezuela and Afghanistan. But without a structure behind him, Mr. Bolton was increasingly alone trying sell positions that were a hard sell to Mr. Trump, who is much less an ideologue and much harder to pin down. Eventually, Mr. Trump split with Mr. Bolton and began consulting with outsiders like the Fox News personality Tucker Carlson. When Mr. Bolton fell out with the president, the ad hoc system collapsed right along with him, as reports over the messy decision-making on the proposed Afghanistan peace deal and talks demonstrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think a guy who gets 1.2% is proof of anything.
    Can you name a Democratic candidate for any office who's known to have shot someone accidentally or with illegal intent?

I can think of three off the top of my head.

But I guess it isn't "proof" if someone insists on burying their head in the sand and telling themselves everything's fine.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

By the by... there's a special election for U.S. Congress in NC-9 tonight.

Early results coming in... 15.7% roughly in, and Democratic candidate Dan McCready has 82,409 votes, Republican Dan Bishop has 63,712...

Early ballots tend to favor the Democrats, so this will tighten up as the night goes on in a traditionally conservative district.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.