Page 334 of 667 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    One of the main reasons the Scotland referendum failed is there was no guarantee of staying in the EU. When Boris goes ahead with Brexit, the very reason for staying in the UK is gone. I think the EU will welcome Scotland and make assurances before another vote.
    The difficulty there will be Spain. Allowing Scotland in might give more traction to Spain's own independence movements and they might do all they can to block Scotland entering the EU based on that alone.
    Dark does not mean deep.

One of the main reasons the Scotland referendum failed is there was no guarantee of staying in the EU. When Boris goes ahead with Brexit, the very reason for staying in the UK is gone. I think the EU will welcome Scotland and make assurances before another vote.
    One reason may be gone..personally I think UK will stay in EU now anyway. There is nothing Boris can do that will be any more successful than Mrs May tried in recent months. Ultimately there will be a second referendum or a forced general election..neither of which will led to exit.

It will be up to Boris to chose between a rock and a hard place. One will damage Conservative Party, the other will damage it even more. Sadly given Boris’s nature he will chose more damaging choice..he will be forced into a General Election.

Do you really not see a lot of parallels between the Brexit campaign and the Scottish Independence one??

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Oh, boy. The Brits are gonna have bloated James Woods in charge of Parliament. Wow; this is so going to go well.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    One reason may be gone..personally I think UK will stay in EU now anyway. There is nothing Boris can do that will be any more successful than Mrs May tried in recent months. Ultimately there will be a second referendum or a forced general election..neither of which will led to exit.

It will be up to Boris to chose between a rock and a hard place. One will damage Conservative Party, the other will damage it even more. Sadly given Boris’s nature he will chose more damaging choice..he will be forced into a General Election.

Do you really not see a lot of parallels between the Brexit campaign and the Scottish Independence one??
    I did not pay as much attention to what was said before the Scottish referendum. I know Brexit was based on complete lies. Not sure if Scotland was the same. But as I said, not as informed on it.
    I do recall all the misinformation from the Better Together crowd.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Oh, boy. The Brits are gonna have bloated James Woods in charge of Parliament. Wow; this is so going to go well.
    But, it's what the people wanted, just like voters here wanted Trump. Now, the Brits will have to deal with the inevitable consequences, just like we're dealing with the seemingly endless fallout from Dolt45 being in office.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't really know that Democrats were better during the 2012 election.

What do you think of the Democratic leader in the Senate lying about Romney's tax returns, and justifying it later by saying "We won the election, didn't we?" If this is the norm, a lot of stuff is justified in the names of winning.
    Stop acting as if "both sides" justifies racism, white nationalism, and corruption in the Republican party -- it doesn't.

I think any kind of unethical behavior in politics is wrong, just as I think using anecdotal evidence while ignoring solid data regarding Republican bigotry, incivility, criminality, homophobia, racism and corruption is engaging in misleading rhetoric -- you can't support the Republican party and pretend you don't likewise support said behaviors in your representatives.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-23-2019 at 10:40 AM.

I did not pay as much attention to what was said before the Scottish referendum. I know Brexit was based on complete lies. Not sure if Scotland was the same. But as I said, not as informed on it.
    I do recall all the misinformation from the Better Together crowd.
    So you don’t know enough about Scottish campaign to have a valid opinion on question I asked?

I don't remember hearing anything about the Scottish referendum being unfair, which I definitely can't say for Brexit.

This is petty and unproductive. But damn, pence looks so much older. I just saw a clip of him trying to address the send her back thing, and he looks so old. I mean he was never a spring chicken with the premature silvering of his hair, but the wrinkles have deepened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    This is petty and unproductive. But damn, pence looks so much older. I just saw a clip of him trying to address the send her back thing, and he looks so old. I mean he was never a spring chicken with the premature silvering of his hair, but the wrinkles have deepened.
    Having to spend so much time in proximity to Trump takes a toll on a person.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    You try dealing with the Tyrant Toddler and his antics on a daily basis and see if that doesn't prematurely age you. Speaking of which, I know I don't follow the news outlets all that closely (said avoidance keeps me sane), but when was the last time Trump and Pence were seen together?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Having to spend so much time in proximity to Trump takes a toll on a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You try dealing with the Tyrant Toddler and his antics on a daily basis and see if that doesn't prematurely age you. Speaking of which, I know I don't follow the news outlets all that closely (said avoidance keeps me sane), but when was the last time Trump and Pence were seen together?
    This is like the third year, what is he gonna do if things go south in 2020 and Trump gets reelected? He's not gonna make it.

You know what I don't think they spend too much time together? So maybe at the 4th of july thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    So you don’t know enough about Scottish campaign to have a valid opinion on question I asked?
    Pretty much, yes.

But moving forward, much of the "Stay" arguments are negated by Brexit.

I think the next leave referendum will have a different take, if the UK is no longer in the EU.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 07-23-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The most popular Governors in the US are Republicans, so you could look at what they've done.

As something on a larger scale, George W Bush has been credited with the single greatest humanitarian program of the last few decades (his efforts against AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa.)
    Oh please. While some fools like U2's Bono fell for it, the real experts saw through that.

As the programs were tied to sexual health providers in Africa not even MENTIONING abortion at any time if they didn't want to lose all their funding, the programs probably did more bad than good. In Uganda, for example, a positive trend of receding infection rates was reversed.

The Bush Global Gag Rule: Endangering Women's Health, Free Speech and Democracy

Also, funding for the President's global AIDS program has been well below expectations and even below the annualized amounts authorized by Congress. The administration has also allowed its approach to be guided by political and social ideologies over sound public health and the local needs of recipient countries.

Bush accused of Aids damage to Africa

A senior United Nations official has accused President George Bush of "doing damage to Africa" by cutting funding for condoms, a move which may jeopardise the successful fight against HIV/Aids in Uganda.
    Stephen Lewis, the UN secretary general's special envoy for HIV/Aids in Africa, said US cuts in funding for condoms and an emphasis on promoting abstinence had contributed to a shortage of condoms in Uganda, one of the few African countries which has succeeded in reducing its infection rate.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the condom crisis in Uganda is being driven by [US policies]," Mr Lewis said yesterday. "To impose a dogma-driven policy that is fundamentally flawed is doing damage to Africa."
    If that is supposed to be Bush's saving grace, he remains lost.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

For all his early concern about "Islamic terror", Trump has a blind spot when it comes to this kind of terrorism for obvious reasons.

-----
    "Wray: ‘Majority’ Of Domestic Terror Arrests This Year Motivated By White Supremacy"

"FBI Director Christopher Wray told lawmakers on Tuesday that the majority of the arrests his team has made this year related to domestic terrorism have been motivated by white supremacist ideology.

“In terms of the number of arrests, we have through the third quarter of this fiscal year, we had about 100 arrests on the international terrorism side, which includes the homegrown violent terrorism,” he told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. “But we’ve also had just about the same number, again, don’t quote me to the exact digit, but on the domestic terrorism side and I will say, that a majority of the domestic terrorism cases that we’ve investigated, are motivated by some version of what you might call white supremacist violence, it includes other things as well.”

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) called the numbers “significant” in light of the ongoing dialogue about race in the U.S. following President Trump’s racist attacks on four congresswomen of color over the last several days.

“I think this is significant,” Durbin said. “I do not not want to diminish the work you’re doing when it comes to homegrown domestic terrorism … But what you have just said is significant, if the number of people arrested this calendar year when it comes to this extremist conduct, is about equal between those who were inspired by foreign actors, ISIS, al-Qaeda, whatever it might be, and those who were inspired by white supremacy or at least some version of race.”

Durbin added: “We are having a national conversation about race that we haven’t had in a long time — about racism and the reaction, what is acceptable and what is not.”

When Durbin asked if the two could be considered equal threats, Wray said no, calling homegrown violent terrorism the single biggest threat to the U.S."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/d...acy-chris-wray
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.