Page 204 of 667 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204205206207208214254304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Whenever the 9/11 Fund will run out or not, the fact that McConnell is holding those people hostage is despicable and in no way benefit the country - It is no excuse for it. That you can't seem to think anything other than this guy is just honestly trying his best for the USA with all this is more revealing of your actual beliefs than practically anything else I've read you post on these forums. Trump is not the whole of what is wrong with your party, and the people who are supporting him most (Mitch included) aren't doing it to better the country which he's harming with every new BS tariff, deregulation (Phili's Oil Refinery says hi!) and each camp they deny fellow human beings access to basic things like Soap and stuff other than concrete to sleep on.
    Understanding someone's rationale isn't the same as endorsing it.

With the 9/11 fund it is a problem that it ran out much sooner than expected, and it's understandable to push against that. Otherwise it's more pressure for politicians to make short-sighted decisions (IE- backing something politically popular under the impression that it will cost several times less than it eventually does.) It's also standard politics to bundle popular legislation with other stuff, usually with the belief that the other stuff will also help the country.

I'll note that I think politicians I disagree with deeply are usually trying to make things better.

I don't support the tariffs but there are some arguments for it, especially as a negotiating tactic.

The conditions in the migrant camps are unfortunate, but what alternative has been suggested? That'll give a better sense of the choice.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I...

I...

reilly.JPG

that is literally what happened bill

Not Every Dem is Beholden vs Practically Every GoPer seems to be the breakdown, though I could be mistaken.
    I believe it would be very naive to think that lobbyists only spread money around to the Republicans in Washington and that it doesn't influence Democratic policy at all.
    I want to add though that I also believe that if any positive changes are to take place in American society it will almost certainly come from the Democrats. We do still have idealists among us who will attempt to drive those changes, whereas the GOP at this point is nothing but a snake pit of loathe-some evangelical opportunists and hard-line war mongering racists.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-24-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Understanding someone's rationale isn't the same as endorsing it.

I'll note that I think politicians I disagree with deeply are usually trying to make things better.
    I cannot understand the inability to conceive that a politician can do things for shady means just as much as 'all politicians are crooks', things are not 100% Black or White here as reality is a blend of greys. Since you seem to be able to ascribe hidden agendas unrelated to the national good and the ability to lie about their motives to liberal politicians easily enough, I don't think that's your issue.

With the 9/11 fund it is a problem that it ran out much sooner than expected, and it's understandable to push against that. Otherwise it's more pressure for politicians to make short-sighted decisions (IE- backing something politically popular under the impression that it will cost several times less than it eventually does.) It's also standard politics to bundle popular legislation with other stuff, usually with the belief that the other stuff will also help the country.

I don't support the tariffs but there are some arguments for it, especially as a negotiating tactic.

The conditions in the migrant camps are unfortunate, but what alternative has been suggested? That'll give a better sense of the choice.
    1. To quibble over the cost of this fund after giving away so much away to corporations that wasted it on stock buybacks is hypocrisy not tactics. Double Standards aren't good for the country, and no one who's seriously interested in what's good for the country thinks they are.

2. How is it helping us negotiate? By hurting us and forcing former trade partners to go to cheaper sources closer to them? There are also some arguments for a Flat Earth but it doesn't make them good ones.

3. The alternative that has been suggested is something you have ignored/forgotten: Treat these people like human beings. The cost to do so would be pennies compared to The Wall. Instead they are bemoaning the costs of basic human care like sleeping and not being covered in filth while also saying that this acts as a deterrent to others. The Cruelty is literally the point. You continually act like there's no alternative to kenneling these people in ways that most of these senators & GoP voters wouldn't treat their own pets, but there was an alternative to being this cruel which worked for 8 years of the Obama Admin! There were still a few unscrupulous people doing horrible things like there is in practically every system nowadays (Daycares, Prisons, Schools, Churches, sadly I could go on) but it wasn't endorsed at the top and vehemently defended by the rank and file as it seems these camps are. This isn't an A or B situation of 'Open Borders' against 'Concentration Camps' here Mets, these people can be treated fairly while still being detained for deportation or review of their asylum claims. I don't see how that's so hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I believe it would be very naive to think that lobbyists only spread money around to the Republicans in Washington and that it doesn't influence Democratic policy at all.
    I want to add though that I also believe that if any positive changes are to take place in American society it will almost certainly come from the Democrats. We do still have idealists among us who will attempt to drive those changes, whereas the GOP at this point is nothing but a snake pit of loathe-some evangelical opportunists and hard-line war mongering racists.
    Oh yes, I hope it's clear I don't think the majority of Dems are saintly and unmotivated by wealth or power, just that it seems that any corruption is a bug and not a feature the GoP has embraced from the top down.

Beto, I liked you even if I thought your run for the white house was premature. Why did you do this to yourself?

Beto O'Rourke proposes 'war tax' as part of veterans' plan
    For a nation that claims to love its troops you guys seem to have an aversion to actually help them.

I worry that the GOP will try to steer the conversation away from "NO CAMPS" and towards "Better funding for the camps". They'll use the same tired "Democrats are causing this by with holding funding" shaminging points, and the Dems will try to compromise. And then will just have camps forever, and we'll spend even more money on them, and all that money goes to the rich GOP donors running the for profit camps. Not even a penny to bury the bodies. These are the things keeping me up at 3 in the morning.

Everyone else can see that debate coming, right? Does anyone else have the sickening feeling that that will happen? I just hope everyone sticks to their guns with "NO CAMPS".

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I worry that the GOP will try to steer the conversation away from "NO CAMPS" and towards "Better funding for the camps". They'll use the same tired "Democrats are causing this by with holding funding" shaminging points, and the Dems will try to compromise. And then will just have camps forever, and we'll spend even more money on them, and all that money goes to the rich GOP donors running the for profit camps. Not even a penny to bury the bodies. These are the things keeping me up at 3 in the morning.

Everyone else can see that debate coming, right? Does anyone else have the sickening feeling that that will happen? I just hope everyone sticks to their guns with "NO CAMPS".
    Yeah, Stevie Wonder could see that scenario coming, and it's both hypocritical and damn disturbing. By no means should these CONCENTRATION CAMPS be allowed to exist! PERIOD!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post

And I'm realistic enough to know the GOP are inhuman mother****ers enough that they would take more funding if they got it, and do nothing to improve the human rights conditions in their concentration camps, and would either direct the money towards more ICE officers to do raids to further fill the camps, and/or throw the money at the useless vanity project that is Donald Trump's stupid f***ing border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for.

And that's the argument the Democrats will have to dig in on. The Trump GOP are too corrupt, and cruel, to be expected to direct this funding towards any betterment for mankind. Because they literally have lawyers arguing why you don't need to give children soap or a toothbrush.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel, who we noted had elevated his career in Wisconsin politics by dragging his feet and refusing to prosecute cases against Republican Governor Scott Walker and Republican state legislator Joel Kleefisch when both were caught in ethical and potentially criminal endeavors in carrying out their offices. Schimel has gone on record to say he opposes minimum wage increases (during the greatest era of income inequality in our nation's modern history), and more importantly, he stated his desire to use his office to fight tooth and nail against honoring the Supreme Court's ruling in the Obergefell v. Hodges case, and even agreed his opposition to the law would be similar to those who opposed interracial marriage becoming legal 60 years ago. This of course made local reporters ask the question of if Schimel was a racist, and lo and behold after some digging, they found training videos from the State Department of Justice in 2009 and 2013 where Schimel made racist and sexist comments while instructing trainees, including putting on false accents to appear as racial caricatures. Of course, these details came up just prior to the 2014 election, and Schimel slid by and won office with 52% of the vote. Schimel's history of being terrible at his job and not pressing charges continued through 2015, apparently, as he decided against prosecuting two Wisconsin police officers who gunned down a hostage during a siege at a motorcycle shop, with their body camera footage contradicting their version of events. He's also taken measures to remove environmental oversight from Wisconsin's water supply, and trust in big business interests to keep it safe.

In 2017 alone, Schimel made headlines in Wisconsin for several controversies, including settling a case against a company caught as serial polluters without imposing a fine against them, claiming the company was sufficiently punished by making them invest in themselves to stop polluting in the first place and then dropping a fraud case against the wealthy Eliason brothers, where they faced 10 felony charges, instead, leaving the case to be handled in civil court and in lawsuits only. This, after a YEAR of trying to put a gag order on the case so no details about it leaked to the public. But effectively, Schimel just thought they were too rich to go to jail, so he didn’t bother pressing charges.

Which, seems par for the course. Then, the public discovered that he spent $10,000 of taxpayer money to create gold collector coins for himself, his staff, and Wisconsin Law Enforcement that say, “Kicking Ass Every Day”, by effectively saying his department was great, deserved them, and that they worked far harder than other state workers, like at the Wisconsin DMV. Schimel blatantly lied in a TV interview, Schimel claiming that Wisconsin does not have a back log of untested rape kits that have yet to be investigated when in reality… There were SIX THOUSAND OF THEM.

And, in late April of 2017 a day after Brad Schimel claimed he would not be opening an investigation into potential voter fraud, he is threatened with being investigated himself by Breitbart “reporter” James O’Keefe. And by “reporter”, we mean exposed lying fraud and convicted felon. But anyway… O’Keefe wants to prove a negative, and that voter fraud exists. His “evidence” is an out-of-context quote from one Democrat, and several other videos that are obviously spliced to create quotes out of context. And guess what? Once O’Keefe threatened to harass Schimel, he caved, and opened an investigation based on lies, at taxpayer expense. (Big surprise… they have found no evidence of voter fraud.) In April of 2018, he got a little too honest and defended Wisconsin’s anti-democratic Voter ID law by proudly stating how it “helped Trump get elected. (Thousands of voters were blocked from voting at the polls, particularly in Democratic-leaning districts.) Yeah, no more pretenses about mythical “voter fraud”, he outright admitted it helped swing a presidential election to Republicans, therefore, mission accomplished.

A month later, in May of 2018, reports surfaced about how Schimel took time out of his busy schedule ten months prior in July of 2017 to attend an anti-gay conference in California hosted by a “Christian group”, the Alliance for Defending Freedom that’s actually more really of a “hate group”, by the definition of the Southern Poverty Law Center. Even worse for Schimel, there are e-mails that show he would have liked for no one to have noticed his little fun-times-hating-the-gays vacation stop, and his only defense for the trip was that it wasn’t on taxpayer expense. Of course, that’s because the ADF group itself paid for Schimel’s travel and hotel, which is a gift you have to report in your campaign finance reports, and all that. On the ADF’s end… they apparently advised attendees on how to keep their attendance secret from the public, and how to avoid public records laws. “NOTHING SHADY GOING ON HERE, NO SIR.”

Brad Schimel lost in the 2018 elections to Josh Kaul. Minutes before the race was called, he and a band played a cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive", and we're glad that on a political level, he didn't. We won’t be missing Schimel, and wish him the best of luck f***ing off, never to return to politics.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 06-25-2019 at 08:21 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Awwww, WBE! You forgot to include the best part of Schimel losing! He got so cocky that he win that he started playing "I Will Survive" with his band hours before he lost.

Got video of it too!

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Awwww, WBE! You forgot to include the best part of Schimel losing! He got so cocky that he win that he started playing "I Will Survive" with his band hours before he lost.

Got video of it too!
    LOL. What. A. Putz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And I'm realistic enough to know the GOP are inhuman mother****ers enough that they would take more funding if they got it, and do nothing to improve the human rights conditions in their concentration camps, and would either direct the money towards more ICE officers to do raids to further fill the camps, and/or throw the money at the useless vanity project that is Donald Trump's stupid f***ing border wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for.

And that's the argument the Democrats will have to dig in on. The Trump GOP are too corrupt, and cruel, to be expected to direct this funding towards any betterment for mankind. Because they literally have lawyers arguing why you don't need to give children soap or a toothbrush.
    Exactly. There is a good reason Democrats are fighting handing trump a blank check. And wanting any more money with strict rules about its use. They are already stealing money from allotments to unrelated projects for the vanity wall.

The White House Threatens to Veto an Aid Bill for Migrant Families Detained After Crossing the Border

In a letter Monday threatening the veto, White House officials told lawmakers they objected that the House package lacked money for beds the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency needs to let it detain more migrants. Officials also complained in the letter that the bill had no money to toughen border security, including funds for building Trump’s proposed border wall.

“Because this bill does not provide adequate funding to meet the current crisis, and because it contains partisan provisions designed to hamstring the Administration’s border enforcement efforts, the Administration opposes its passage,” the letter said.
    They don't care about the children's safety. They wanted reporters to not be reporting it instead. They want more money for border wall for campaign promises. If this is such a crisis, there should be NO reason to veto 4.5 billion to help the crisis.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Rep. Burgess on conditions in migrant camps: "You know what? There's not a lock on the door. Any child is free to leave at anytime, but they don't. You know why? Because they are well taken care of."
    Cruelty is all they know.

Astonishing Member

All I can do is apologize for him on behalf of Texas because he is gross.

People want to donate diapers and toys to children at Border Patrol facilities in Texas. They’re being turned away.

One one hand when people find out about these conditions they really want to help with what they can. But, are being turned away and the facilities will not take donations. That's just crazy. There should be a list of acceptable things people can donate on a humanitarian level.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 06-25-2019 at 07:47 AM.

This would be the same Rep. Burgess who can tell fetuses can feel pain and pleasure because he's watched them masturbate. But again, once a zygote actually is a living child outside the womb, a Republican can only shrug, no matter how dire that child's plight.