Page 129 of 545 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 8161

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I remember around when this whole child detention thing started. In Virginia there were wild reports that children were regularly beaten, stripped naked, and strapped to chairs with bags on their head for full days. The government sent someone in to investigate these wild claims and found...they were basically true. But none of that legally constituted abuse *cough*bullshit*cough*, so it was allowed to continue. The Venn diagram overlap between the children we're legally torturing and those that actually die in out custody is completely academic in my eyes, so I stick by my analogy.
    Do you have any links? Because the news items I found don't confirm that the worst allegations are true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shenand...ped-to-chairs/

Initial stories in July suggested the main problem was that kids had mental health problems that were not dealt with adequately.

Many of the children were sent there after U.S. immigration authorities accused them of belonging to violent gangs, including MS-13. President Donald Trump has repeatedly cited gang activity as justification for his crackdown on illegal immigration.

Mr. Trump said Wednesday that "our Border Patrol agents and our ICE agents have done one great job" cracking down on MS-13 gang members. "We're throwing them out by the thousands," he said.

But a top manager at the Shenandoah center said during a recent congressional hearing that the children did not appear to be gang members and were suffering from mental health issues resulting from trauma that happened in their home countries -- problems the detention facility is ill-equipped to treat.
    The state review, ordered by a Democratic Governor, dealt with the use of restraints, and rejected the more outrageous claims.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...se-claims.html

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Answer me servant!! I was not acting crazy, correct?

"I watched Nancy and she was all crazy yesterday," President Trump says, asking Sarah Sanders what his tone was like during yesterday's meeting with Democrats.

"Very calm and straightforward and clear," Sanders says

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you have any links? Because the news items I found don't confirm that the worst allegations are true.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/shenand...ped-to-chairs/

Initial stories in July suggested the main problem was that kids had mental health problems that were not dealt with adequately.

The state review, ordered by a Democratic Governor, dealt with the use of restraints, and rejected the more outrageous claims.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...se-claims.html
    I was using this one, but it's all basically the same.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-down-n900306

The fact that the investigators never interviewed the children making the claim, or their lawyers, should say it all.
    The people being accused of wrongdoing were the only ones allowed to tell their story, the rest were just crazy, that's not great.

EDIT: Though I was wrong on one point. They weren't proven to be doing all the things they were accused of. It's just that if they HAD been doing all the things they were accused of, it still wouldn't have legally been abuse. Thyat's on me, I misread that.
    Last edited by JCAll; 05-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 JDogindy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I've never been a fan, even before the LGBT issues. Honestly something's happened to crunchy fast food chicken sandwiches in the last year or 2, and the only one that's not half-rubber is the Chicken Schnitzel from Weinershcnitzel.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, I went there more for the chicken salad sammiches which I enjoyed. No matter, I can live without them.
    I have never eaten at Weinerschnitzel. Then again, I have never seen a Weinerschnitzel. It's mostly a California thing. I'm certain some users are the same whenever people make Dairy Queen comments.

Zapp's utter hatred of the Neutral Planet is a testament to his incompetence as a person, but also a brilliance of Futurama.

The weird thing is... asexuality ain't that bad. You just don't have that urge to boink (which, to some, sounds like a poor frame of words, but just hear me out), which for years was something that made me question why I thought I was bi, or even straight beforehand. When I had bloodwork done, the doctors told me I had healthy testosterone levels, which is something that meatheads and your online MRAs will always puff their chests and brag about is important due to misinterpreting science, or using "paleo-science". While having low levels of testosterone do impact one's sexual drive, that's not entirely a reason for someone to just not be inclined for a sexual relationship. You still want to be with people, though, because as I always attest, a person has their needs. It's just that those needs don't have to end up feeling like they're self servicing.

However, asexuality is one of those things that's even less understood that your standard LGBT, since, as I've stated, to many, the idea of a person uninterested in sex is just as, if not even more, frightening as one who is interested in the same gender, since you'll get your lame arguments like "You're ending your genetic line of thousands of years!" (the results also said that if I did have children, there was a good chance they'd deal with some form of disability, which I don't want to put on them, so back off, eugenist), or "you're missing out on the joys of parenthood!" (I can't stand kids on the bus or at the store, not to mention I had an physically abusive father and a terrible mother who was emotionally abusive and incompetent at child raising, plus coupled with my limited financial outlook, I don't want to raise a kid off welfare and potentially continue the cycle of bad parenting), and my personal favorite, "you're wasting the seed God gave you!" (eh, go preach that in Alabama).

As for picking and choosing places to avoid supporting, it can be tough. Like I said, given the limited resources I have to contend with, I'm stuck shopping at Walmart, which I know is a bummer considering their predatory practices and how they screw over their own employees (I haven't forgiven them for laying off hundreds of workers suddenly years ago when they shut down the Sam's Clubs), but I can avoid buying Nathan's Hot Dogs (I don't eat hot dogs as the nitrates give me headaches) and Chick-fil-A is not worth the price to support radical conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are a number of companies I avoid. Ones like Chic-Fil-A, others where the owner is a Big Republican/Trump supporter, like Nathan's Hot Dog. You can't boycott everyone, but you can try to make sure your money doesn't support the most egregious ones.
    Damn. I like Nathan's hot dogs. I used to go to the original Nathan's all the time when I lived in Brooklyn. But then, that's the only time when boycotts really count, right? When we have to make a real sacrifice. A boycott doesn't really mean anything if you never bought anything from the company in the first place.

I mean, for instance, I recently read that the guy who started MyPillow.com is a big Trump supporter. But I never had any plans to purchase anything from MyPillow.com. So it wouldn't mean much for me to boycott them. But if I stop buying Nathan's hot dogs, it will be a bit of a sacrifice on my part. Not much, but at least I will be forgoing one small thing that I otherwise enjoy.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-23-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tearful Theresa May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Fighting back tears, British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Friday she would quit, triggering a contest that will bring a new leader to power who is likely to push for a more decisive Brexit divorce deal.

May's departure will deepen the Brexit crisis as a new leader is likely to want a more decisive split, raising the chances of a confrontation with the European Union and a potentially unpredictable snap parliamentary election.

May set out a timetable for her departure - she will resign as Conservative Party leader on June 7 with a leadership contest beginning the following week.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I have never eaten at Weinerschnitzel. Then again, I have never seen a Weinerschnitzel. It's mostly a California thing. I'm certain some users are the same whenever people make Dairy Queen comments.
    I ate at Weinerschnitzel some when I lived in Texas but I was a kid and don't remember how anything tasted, but to hear my parents talk about it, it is the best thing you have never eaten. That and Whataburger--which I do remember quite well because that was a once-a-week-thing for years. And it was tasty.

Also, there are places without Dairy Queen? That seems weird.

Mighty Member

I thought this was interesting:

We’ve Hit a New Low in Campaign Hit Pieces
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...38156/#respond

She is doing all this just so her legacy will be that of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, but if it ends up being a "no-deal" Brexit as foreshadowed, she may end up being regarded as one of the least effective prime ministers in Britain's history.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    She is doing all this just so her legacy will be that of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, but if it ends up being a "no-deal" Brexit as foreshadowed, she may end up being regarded as one of the least effective prime ministers in Britain's history.
    Her legacy will always be as one of the worst. Brexit is a clusterf*(& and she is the prime fluffer. The only thing that will make her look better is Boris taking over. Like Bush looks after we got Trump.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Her legacy will always be as one of the worst. Brexit is a clusterf*(& and she is the prime fluffer. The only thing that will make her look better is Boris taking over. Like Bush looks after we got Trump.
    Oh, she's clearly bottom tier. I'm just saying the only way that she'll save face is if this stupid policy that she enacted so she'll get the bigots and the cranks to vote for the Conservative Party (even though said bigots already vote for their own fringe parties, like UKIP and the British National Party) manages to not achieve this level of predictability as depicted in this wonderful piece of stock footage.

And, of course Boris is running for prime minister. I can't wait to see what bullshit that ape plops out on the campaign trail.

Oh my, what a mess that brexit has created in UK.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Just curious about something. I never go on Twitter much except when a news story links to a tweet, typically some inanity by Trump. Most recently, I clicked on the link for when he posted the doctored Nancy Pelosi video (which came from Fox News) the other day. But then when scrolling down a bit, you can see how he retweets Fox News promotional tweets for their Fox Nation, etc. WTF....is this proper for a POTUS to do? Not that anyone seems to be stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just curious about something. I never go on Twitter much except when a news story links to a tweet, typically some inanity by Trump. Most recently, I clicked on the link for when he posted the doctored Nancy Pelosi video (which came from Fox News) the other day. But then when scrolling down a bit, you can see how he retweets Fox News promotional tweets for their Fox Nation, etc. WTF....is this proper for a POTUS to do? Not that anyone seems to be stopping him.
    None of what Trump does is proper. The scandals that would occur for even his minor bulls&^t would be overwhelming to any other Presidency. The problem is that outside of the Congressional Dems, their is no functioning authority left in the US. We have far surpassed a Constitutional crisis. All the Government Agencies he controls and the GOP Senate have decided to back Trump over their country.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

None of what Trump does is proper. The scandals that would occur for even his minor bulls&^t would be overwhelming to any other Presidency. The problem is that outside of the Congressional Dems, their is no functioning authority left in the US. We have far surpassed a Constitutional crisis. All the Government Agencies he controls and the GOP Senate have decided to back Trump over their country.
    I just find it all so depressing. I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking Putin is gaming all the countries that he feels facilitated or cheered on the downfall of the USSR. Look at what has happened in Great Britain.

So far Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan is one member of the GOP that has been bold enough to post about why he feels the president should be impeached. I had hoped for something from Romney but apparently is OK with the Trump zombies. I'm also thinking I'm not alone in thinking McConnell is just as great an evil as Trump since he is a silent enabler also and is blocking bills just like he did with Obama. I keep saying to myself that one day there will be a reckoning but the Dems have to get on track with a plan. Are there enough secret moderates left among the GOP senators that will let their conscience be their guide instead of the Unholy Three of Trump, McConnell and Steven Miller?