Page 13 of 483 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 7245
  1. #181
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You say that they're silent. So, why are they silent?
    I've never cared, so I've never thought about it -- again, I judge them by their actions, not biased "inferences".

    Regardless, there's no need to "infer" anything -- they've never seriously advocated "open borders" and Obama presided over a period of decreasing illegal immigration. Factually speaking, that's the end of the discussion -- everything else on the matter is just rhetoric that is based on opinion.

    Now, with regards to actual facts, why are you silent about your party allowing a corrupt, lying, racist xenophobic bigot to threaten our democracy by working -- or at the very least attempting to work -- with the Russians to illegally influence our electoral process while the Republicans attempt to distract us with an issue that could have been resolved a long time ago if said unreasonable lying bigot had just been willing to compromise on an agreement?

    Why is the non-factual "open borders" issue more apparently important to you than the factual lying, corruption, blatantly illegal activity, record deficits, racist, homophobic and Islamophobic fear-mongering within the Repbublican base, election fraud, climate change, and the numerous other crimes and unethical behaviors that your party routinely engages in?

    What should we infer from this behavior -- this factual compliance with corruption, Islamophobia, homophobia and racism -- that is common within your party?
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-15-2019 at 07:10 AM.

  2. #182
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,696

    Default

    Don't believe this particular piece came up yesterday. Since it was a Sunday piece, it felt like it might get lost in the shuffle...

    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ollege-n985891

    Veterans could be first to pay as DeVos rolls back for-profit college oversight

  3. #183
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well this line of logic eventually leads you to an inconvenient truth though, which is that the continued prosperity of America and other developed nations depends in large part on exploiting poorer and weaker nations for resources and cheap labor, and that is only possible by keeping them poverty ridden and unstable, so that they'll be desperate enough to work for peanuts and to sell off large swathes of their country to be strip mined by American corporations. If we were somehow to fix all of these failed states to a sufficient degree that they wouldn't be driven to emigrate, we would also be severely impacting our own quality of life by cutting off the flow of resources. At the end of the day, the United States accounts for 5% of the world's population but uses something like 25% of the world's resources, which is only possible because we bully the rest of the world into submission and turn around and point the finger at them for being lazy. We cannot on one hand expect to maintain the same quality of life forever, while at the same time being shocked that others around the globe would want to live the same way.
    Thatís a particular radical view of international relations. I do not subscribe to the Marx-inspired idea that all international economic relations are necessarily exploitative if we make the effort to not make them that way. And I donít think that making that change would be substantively harmful to us as the radical view would propose.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  4. #184
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That’s a particular radical view of international relations. I do not subscribe to the Marx-inspired idea that all international economic relations are necessarily exploitative if we make the effort to not make them that way. And I don’t think that making that change would be substantively harmful to us as the radical view would propose.
    Thats not particularly marxist, thats just basuc capitalism. Get as much as you can for as cheap as you can.

  5. #185
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Thats not particularly marxist, thats just basuc capitalism. Get as much as you can for as cheap as you can.
    It’s from the cynical view of both capitalism and international relations—the idea that all relationships rely on power dynamics and those relationships are inherently exploitative as a result. I think our international relations must do better than simply accept that status quo or thought process, because we have no choice but to do better.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  6. #186
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That’s a particular radical view of international relations. I do not subscribe to the Marx-inspired idea that all international economic relations are necessarily exploitative if we make the effort to not make them that way. And I don’t think that making that change would be substantively harmful to us as the radical view would propose.
    International economic relations aren't necessarily exploitative, ever since the end of WW2 the first world countries have cooperated quite well with one another. Of course, much of that cooperation has been to form a united front to more effectively exploit the third world, and to smother the ambitions of upstart nations who want to enjoy the same kind of wealth and power that we take for granted, we can't just be letting everyone into the cool kids club after all. America just wouldn't be where it is if we played by the rules and didn't screw anyone over, we could stop doing that and start sharing the wealth and playing nice with everyone, but then there'd be no reason why we would be any better off than anyone else, don't tell me you actually believe in that hogwash about American exceptionalism and superior Western cultural values.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-15-2019 at 07:52 AM.

  7. #187
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    International economic relations aren't necessarily exploitative, ever since the end of WW2 the first world countries have cooperated quite well with one another. Of course, much of that cooperation has been to form a united front to more effectively exploit the third world, and to smother the ambitions of upstart nations who want to enjoy the same kind of wealth and power that we take for granted, we can't just be letting everyone into the cool kids club after all. America just wouldn't be where it is if we played by the rules and didn't screw anyone over, we could stop doing that and start sharing the wealth and playing nice with everyone, but then there'd be no reason why we would be any better off than anyone else, don't tell me you actually believe in that hogwash about American exceptionalism and superior Western cultural values.
    Certainly not. Western cultures have been manipulative and harmful to other countries, especially because we bought into realist explanations of the international system for the longest time. But I’m saying, that as an international political liberal, we don’t need to assume that we can’t get mutual benefits from cooperation and that exploitation is the only way the United States maintains its position. I don’t accept that.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  8. #188
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Certainly not. Western cultures have been manipulative and harmful to other countries, especially because we bought into realist explanations of the international system for the longest time. But I’m saying, that as an international political liberal, we don’t need to assume that we can’t get mutual benefits from cooperation and that exploitation is the only way the United States maintains its position. I don’t accept that.
    The united states literally set up dictatorships for bannanas.

  9. #189
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,979

    Default

    The Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire ... doesn't look like the Parisian FD can save it. At all.





    https://abcnews.go.com/International...dalLaYuZO4kNOY
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-15-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  10. #190
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,979

    Default

    They can't get in ... the spire is gone now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #191

    Default

    ... I mean, let's just hope it's not a sign. What a tragedy.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  12. #192
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    ... I mean, let's just hope it's not a sign. What a tragedy.
    The roof collapsed.

    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #193

    Default


    On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Matt Shea, from the Washington House of Representatives, who has had the luck to continually be re-elected to office by the good fortune of getting to run unopposed, even though the Washington Republican Party had several key members warn against backing him when he first entered office because he was too unstable. And boy, is he. Matt Shea has been arrested for road rage and possession of a concealed firearm after allowing his concealed carry license to expire. His ex-wife has gone on record to say he once struck a superior officer while in the National Guard and was forced to take anger management classes (that didn’t work, apparently). Shea also went to the home of his opponent in the 2012 elections and took photos of himself standing on her lawn as an intimidation tactic, then posted them on his Facebook and refused to take them down at her request, effectively doxxing her address to his supporters. And Shea’s supporters include the right-wing militia crowd, who he got all fired up at the capitol in Olympia when a Chinese flag was flown alongside an American one to greet a Chinese diplomat last year (which is normal protocol), calling it a “Communist takeover”. Shea also spoke in defense of Cliven Bundy, has been photographed with the leader of the Oathkeepers, Stuart Rhodes, believes that the Agenda 21 Conspiracy Theory is a real thing, and tells those militia knuckleheads to go ahead and ignore firearms laws. Heck, who he DOES keep company with is ever more disturbing. While Ammon Bundy and a bunch of armed occupiers took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January of 2016, Matt Shea went on what he now calls a “fact-finding” mission to the refuge, and against the requests of law enforcement to not visit, embolden, or incite the protesters, snuck onto the compound to buddy up to the domestic terrorists, again. In 2017, he gave a “Patriot of the Year” Award to Anthony Bosworth, another figure from the Malheur Refuge standoff, If we didn’t already have enough of the crazy from Matt Shea, he’s also passionately anti-gay, gaining the notice of the Southern Poverty Law Center for having ties to the Family Research Council and American Family Association, both anti-gay hate groups, and didn’t just try to redefine parenthood so it excluded same-sex parents, he didn’t just vote against same-sex marriage in Washington… Matt Shea even boasted that he would be the first person to refuse business to a gay customer at his florist shop if they came in for an arrangement for a same sex wedding. He also opposes bans on gay conversion therapy, while supporting transphobic bathroom bans, like when he sponsored HB 2935. Shea also refuses to acknowledge any fellow Republican as a member of the GOP if they are not anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, and anti-Agenda 21. In 2017, Shea was leading a group of many of the same militia whackos at a pro-gun protest at the Washington State capitol, and in the new session of the Washington State legislature, he has sponsored a bill that would split Eastern Washington off from the western party of the state, and make it the 51st State in the union (because it’s far more conservative than the western half).

    Rumors were abound that Matt Shea was potentially planning a run for Congress, as well, in 2018, going for Cathy McMorris Rodgers’ seat in Washington’s 5th Congressional District. But instead, Shea has had his hands full with his usual anti-government insanity, clutching his pearls that the majority of the Washington State legislature would move to ban bump stocks on firearms after the Las Vegas Massacre, and dealing with a defamation lawsuit filed against him, because for whatever reason, Matt Shea’s paranoia got the best of him on a right-wing podcast and he accused a sheriff’s deputy of providing the murder weapon in a triple murder.

    Even Shea’s road to re-election in the state legislature grew difficult, however, when Rolling Stone magazine got their hands on a four page manifesto that Matt Shea had posted online called “The Biblical Basis for War, which describes the Christian God as a “warrior,” details the composition and strategies of a “Holy Army” and condemns abortion and same-sex marriage. The document is organized in 14 sections with multiple tiers of bullet points and a smattering of biblical citations. Under the heading, “Rules of War,” it makes a chilling prescription for enemies who flout “biblical law.” It states, “If they do not yield – kill all males.” Because that doesn’t sound like a Christan ISIS.

    After facing a hell of a lot of scrutiny for his screed, Matt Shea had the calm reaction you’d expect, claiming that a “counter state of Marxists and Maoists” was conspiring against him. The FBI decided to do an investigation of their own because that’s what you’re supposed to do when someone circulates documents calling for Holy War.

    And, in spite of writing a treatise on beginning a holy war were not enough to stop Matt Shea’s election to a sixth term in office, as he won in 2018 with 57% of the vote, leaving his opponent, Ted Cummings, to shrug on election night and sum it up and say, “I just lost to a fascist.” Meanwhile, all the Washington GOP has done in response to this maniac is to finally get around to stripping him from his committee leadership positions in the state legislature, and Shea, meanwhile, has begun calling for Washington state to be split in two geographically and politically, so that he could be a part of a new eastern part of Washington state called “The Liberty State” with its own right-wing politicians running the show.

    This is the modern Republican Party. Make no mistake.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  14. #194
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The roof collapsed.

    Just heard about the cathedral. What an unimaginable loss in terms of history and architecture.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  15. #195
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard about the cathedral. What an unimaginable loss in terms of history and architecture.
    They can't get inside without it killing people it's so hot . Even with gear. I'm watching a friend live tweet it that teaches near it. He said it's stone cold silent. You can hear the fire blocks away because nobody is doing anything.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •