Page 136 of 561 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 8412
  1. #2026
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I've seen that his approval ratings among African Americans has hit double digits as well. I think this is connected to the unemployment rates being so low, even if he can only take the credit for the last hundred meters of that marathon. And even a crappy job is better than no job! Still, this is bad news for Dems in 2020 if they can't get these voters back.
    But, on the other end of the spectrum, you have midwesterners and especially farmers who’ve been kneecapped by Trump’s tariff war against China, and those people are said to be plenty pissed, so those more than likely represent voters he’ll lose next year.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  2. #2027
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    1. You say "some on the left call for an end to capitalism." Care to name any of those people?

    2. Large chunks of the population should be kept out of the conversation if they're completely ignorant on the given topic. I, for one, don't want to hear one more person on television say, "I'm no scientist, but..." and then proceed to make some completely unscientific argument about climate change or abortion or whatever matter of science is being discussed.
    I definitely hear people pointing out that a lot of the problems in out society are directly tied to problems with the very system capitalism, but I don't really hear them calling for capitalism to be abolished since there isn't really a good system to replace it with.

  3. #2028
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Writing for the New York Times, Steve Rattner, counseler to the Treasury Secretary in the Obama administration, notes economic tailwinds benefit Trump in 2020.


    Other models come to the same conclusion.



    This isn't to say he's guaranteed to win reelection, or even favored to win. Rattner noted that Trump consistently underperformed models predicting how a typical Republican candidate would do.

    But at the very least Trump winning again remains a significant possibility. Democrats can't take his defeat as a foregone conclusion. We may be stuck with him for a while.

    Nate Silver says this is seriously flawed and these models are terrible at elections.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ial-elections/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  4. #2029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    UFOs do not = Aliens. There is ZERO evidence for alien visitation. It's a giant leap with nothing to back it up.
    It is interesting that there's an uptick in stories in the press. It could all just be that they determined that if they have the right tone (respected pilot saw something unusual; there may be a mundane explanation) they'll get clicks/ views without hurting their straight news brand, but it's a noteworthy trend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    1. You say "some on the left call for an end to capitalism." Care to name any of those people?

    2. Large chunks of the population should be kept out of the conversation if they're completely ignorant on the given topic. I, for one, don't want to hear one more person on television say, "I'm no scientist, but..." and then proceed to make some completely unscientific argument about climate change or abortion or whatever matter of science is being discussed.
    1. https://www.dsausa.org/about-us/what...tic-socialism/

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...end-capitalism

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ist-manifesto/

    https://www.counterpunch.org/2007/04...-five-minutes/

    I'll note that goal posts have shifted and part of it was my fault. Robotman was talking about politicians, and the last comments are a bit easier when I'm just asked about references to anyone on the left.

    Granted, I can take about specific officeholders. There are many more who sought office but didn't win.

    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...s-irredeemable

    https://www.thenation.com/article/kshama-sawant-drinks/

    In the international context, there would be plenty more politicians who are left-wing but not capitalist. There was a network of political parties called the European Anti-Capitalist Left.

    2. I agree in principle, although it's a problem in practice when determining who the gatekeepers should be. There are plenty of Republicans who would be eager to shut out anyone in gun control discussions unfamiliar with particular nuances (IE- what constitutes an assault rifle.)

  5. #2030

    Default

    May 25th, 2019


    Pete Kelly

    Welcome to the 755th original “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile, where today we’ll be taking a look at former Alaska State Senator Pete Kelly, who originally served for six years in the Alaska state legislature from 1994-2000 before taking twelve years off and returning to office in 2012. In that first tenure, Kelly’s most noteworthy legislative victory was to pass legislation to allow for wolves to be hunted by helicopter. Because nothing is more charming than trying to side-step federal wildlife protections for douchebag hunters with their own personal choppers looking to trophy hunt.

    During Pete Kelly’s second term in office, though, he started to turn more heads, and not just because he advanced to be the President of the Alaska State Senate. Back in 2014, Alaska’s state legislators were debating an increase in cases of fetal alcohol syndrome being documented in newborns around the state, when Kelly threw his two cents in during the discussion on providing better access to birth control around the state, and instead submitted legislation that would use state funding to place pregnancy tests in vending machines in bars around the state. His colleagues were baffled, and became even more so when Kelly began to try and explain how that made sense:

    … It would be irresponsible to place birth control because sometimes it doesn’t work…

    Anyway, Kelly had other embarrassing things that weren’t his own mouth to also help make him face a tougher road to re-election… like the fact that his 30-year-old son was arrested for sexually assaulting a 13-year old, as well as exposing his genitals and masturbating in public to another child under 16. That earned the younger Kelly a six year prison sentence. Meanwhile, Pete Kelly and the ministry he founded, Humble Raven Ministries, would rather protect families from the dread threat of same sex couples getting married

    But then during his debate against his opponent, Democrat Scott Kawasaki, Kelly also denied the science proving the threat of Climate Change, which in Alaska, where they literally are watching the glaciers melt, was enough to topple Pete Kelly fom office, as he lost by 179 votes.

    We hope that he does not get a third chance at reaching office.

    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  6. #2031
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,655

    Default

    Child Dies, Several Schoolgirls Injured In Knife Attack At Japan Bus Stop

    A man brandishing a knife stabbed at least 18 people in Kawasaki City on Tuesday morning. One child and one adult were killed, officials said. A sad and horrible story. I'm sure some unhinged gun nut probably commented that if Japan allowed people to have guns, he would've been stopped.

    **********

    Trump HUD Official: ‘I Honestly Don’t Care’ If I’m Breaking Federal Law

    Lynne Patton said she may have violated the Hatch Act, then called anyone mad about it a “liberal snowflake.” Can you imagine the howls of outrages from right wingers if someone in Barack Obama's administration had said something THAT damn stupid? And this bitch will get away with it because of cowardly Republicans in Congress looking the other way.

    **********

    Congressman Likens His Own Behavior In Marines To That Of War Crimes Suspect

    Rep. Duncan Hunter attempted to downplay charges filed against Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher, saying he did “one bad thing that I’m guilty of too.” There is NO downplaying what scum like Hunter and Gallagher had done.

    **********

    Fox News Host Pete Hegseth Gushes About Trump: ‘This Guy’s Got The Thickest Skin’

    The “Fox & Friends” host said Trump’s political rivals, about whom he constantly tweets, aren’t getting to him at all, actually. My response to that nonsense: BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    **********

    Service Members Pictured Wearing Donald Trump-Themed Patches During USS Wasp Speech

    The morale patches bore a likeness of the president alongside the slogan “Make Aircrew Great Again.” Silence from the GOP. Now if those patches had Barack Obama's likeness on them, those same Republicans would be screaming bloody murder.

    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  7. #2032

    Default

    May 26th, 2019
    On this date in 2015, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Tom Goolsby, a former North Carolina State Senator and comb over enthusiast who in his time in office, supported massive cuts to education, a state constitutional ban on same sex marriage, voter ID laws that disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters, voted for a law to prevent climatologists from North Carolina from being able to discuss climate change, was the sponsor of the repeal of the Racial Justice Act, and was the man who snuck an amendment onto a motorcycle safety bill to turn it into one of the most radical pieces of anti-abortion legislation in the country. When his legislative agenda began to create weekly protests at the state capitol, known as Moral Mondays, for being led by the Reverend William Barber, Goolsby took the very adult approach to take out an opinion editorial in the local paper to call them “Moron Mondays”, in which he lied about there being no members of the legislature among the group’s numbers. Goolsby lasted less than two terms in office, resigning in August 2014 shortly after being sued by the rest of the law firm where he worked for financial fraud, which makes him even harder to elect.


    On this date in 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented its original profile of the sitting U.S. House Representative for Colorado’s 6th Congressional District, Mike Coffman, who is now serving in his fifth term in office in Washington after a lengthy tenure in Colorado state politics that strings all the way back to 1989. The main thing Coffman has had going for himself to not seem that crazy, is the fact that Colorado’s 6th District was previously held by Tom Tancredo, who was rabidly xenophobic and nuttier than a Payday bar.

    Back in 2012, Mike Coffman was at a campaign fundraiser when he volunteered his opinion about the Birther conspiracy, saying, “I don’t know whether Barack Obama was born in the United States of America. I don’t know that. But I do know this, that in his heart, he’s not an American. He’s just not an American.” Well, word of this disgusting moment leaked to the public, and Coffman was forced to apologize. Mind you, robotically repeating that apology to local news reporters in Colorado who chased him down for comment might not have been the best way to make it seem genuine.

    He apparently doesn't like the negative publicity about it, since he was caught having his Congressional staff trying to edit the fact that it ever happened from his Wikipedia page, earning him top honors in a Buzzfeed article about members of Congress wasting taxpayer dollars to have paid staff scrub their Wiki pages. But in terms of policy, Mike Coffman isn't any less of an extremist. Say, for example, his repeated support for Congress trying to make fetal Personhood a thing, and make life start at conception. Coffman voted to do so as a state legislator in 2008, and again after hitting Washington, D.C. in 2010. In 2011, he also sponsored legislation that tried to redefine the legal definition of rape, specifying whether it was “forcible rape” or not.

    As you might expect, Coffman's also is a climate change denier, believing scientists' research cannot be trusted, and there's financial pressure on the scientists to cut their funding unless they produce studies that say it DOES exist. And THAT is a decidedly different paranoid conspiracy theory, right there. But it's far from his only one. In October of 2012, Coffman told reporters he believed President Obama would engage in a last minute military engagement to cement his bid on winning the presidency over Mitt Romney (and spoiler alert, nothing of the sort happened). Believe it or not, in spite of Mike Coffman having a history of voting for conservative interests, Colorado's 6th Congressional District held it for four terms after the Tea Party Wave, even though it has a +1 Democratic lean the Cook Partisan Index. After two years filled with disastrous town hall appearances for Coffman where constituents lambasted him for trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act, or how in the wake of the Parkland shooting, they demanded gun control… Mike Coffman got bounced from office in the 2018 Blue Wave by Jason Crow, who bested him by 11 points.

    We now would like to wish him our most sincere “GOOD RIDDANCE” salute.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  8. #2033

    Default

    May 27th, 2019

    On this date in 2015, 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of the current U.S. House Representative for Michigan’s’ 3rd District, Justin Amash, who believe it or not, both Democrats and Republicans agree, is one of the most unflinching ***holes in Washington, D.C. Amash is a disciple of the Ron Paul Libertarian school of Republican thought, and occasionally votes against GOP supported measures because in his mind, they are not conservative ENOUGH. He was actually branded a "Whacko Bird" along with Sen. Ted Cruz by Sen. John McCain, and has continued his rivalry with the former standard bearer of the GOP. He has had pundits on Sunday morning shows laugh in his face for saying things like the GOP would be doing the Obama administration a favor by delaying implementation of the Affordable Care Act, and has outright lied about even the basics of what that legislation does (he said pre-existing conditions were covered prior to its passage). He's into the libertarian ideal of smaller government so much that he is against all forms of hate crime legislation, voted against disaster relief for victims of Hurricane Sandy, and even voted against the 2014 version of the Farm Bill, considered to be one of the biggest legislative "no brainers" Congress ever votes on. But his "hands off" approach to government sure doesn't apply to abortion, because Amash has stated he believes that abortion should be outlawed 3, yes THREE days after conception (when most women don't even know they're pregnant, and longer than some states' waiting periods for abortion).

    Justin Amash remains an unpredictable, petulant bastard, but he does remain bluntly honest about that fact. Case in point, he's not pulling punches about the possibility of Donald Trump being impeached when asked about it by the media. The social media director for the Trump White House, Dan Scavino, responded by calling Amash "a great liability". Make no mistake, though, Rep. Amash is not someone who should be trusted. When he's not brown-nosing to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, he's also advocating that the entire Department of Education should be dismantled. Which would do wonders for America, by making them stupid enough to keep voting for a lunatic like Justin Amash.

    And, looking to Amash’s voting record this term… he hasn’t gained much of a conscience:

    • January 27th, 2019: Justin Amash voted against HJR 30, which was meant to express disapproval of Donald Trump not acting against Russian Federation for attacking our democracy. You see, he’s fine with our nation being sublet to Vladimir Putin.
    • January 22nd, 2019: Amash cannot be arsed to bother to vote against HR 676, which would prevent Donald Trump from doing the unthinkable and walking away from our allies in NATO to appease the Russians.
    • January 23rd, 2019: Rep. Amash voted against HR 648, because he was gleefully enjoying the longest government shutdown in history.
    • February 28th, 2019: Justin Amash votes against HR 1112, a bill which would have required universal background checks on all firearm purchases, and close the gun show loophole.
    • April 4th, 2019: Justin Amash is one of 158 Republicans who choose to vote against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).


    Justin Amash remains a sadist whose governs by his personal philosophy of “I got mine.” He’s also considering taking that ball and going home with it, as the GOP have no interests of pushing someone so determined to embrace libertarianism to the fore, and instead, might run for president in 2020 on the Libertarian ticket, a move that most experts think would eliminate Donald Trump’s chances of winning Michigan again. We’d be fine with that choice, as it would rid us of this boob in Congress, and put a dagger into the re-election hopes of the criminal-in-chief.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  9. #2034

    Default

    On this date in 2015, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Niger Innis, a former Congressional candidate for Nevada's 3rd District who is a frequent quest on FOX News and the national spokesman of the one-time civil rights group CORE, that Niger's dad Roy Innis turned into a black nationalist group that bizarrely would support the re-election of Richard Nixon, and has aligned itself with Republican conservatives and big business for the past 40 years to speak on their behalf and explain why they're totally not racist, against all evidence to the contrary (selling out big for paychecks). Say for example, during the 2012 presidential campaign, Niger Innis claimed that CNN and MSNBC were racist for reporting Herman Cain's long track record of sexual harassment and portraying him as a "oversexed Mandingo". On behalf of energy comapnies at speaking engagments, Innis has claimed the "War on the Poor" is actually being led by environmentalists, and not industry, and has simultaneously attacked food stamps being issued to the needy because it's akin to "the scraps from Massa's table". Innis also defended the racist remarks of Cliven Bundy in 2014, and has declared all gun control measures racist in their motivation. After the deaths of several young African American men in recent years by police officers in highly publicized incidents often caught on video, downplayed a system rife with police brutality and instead said the real problem was "black on black crime". After only receiving 33% of the vote in the 2014 GOP Primary for the U.S. House seat he was running for, he immediately began crying foul due to election fraud, and demanded a complete audit of the election. We're going to go ahead and guess Niger Innis won't be winning office any time soon, even if he runs again.

    On this date in 2016, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Mike Pape, a candidate for the U.S. House seat for Kentucky's 1st Congressional District being vacated by the retiring Rep. Ed Whitfield in 2016. Pape's first campaign ad which showed three supposed Mexican illegal immigrants bumbling across the border, but stopping to talk, in English, about how they needed to do whatever they could to stop Mike Pape from winning office, because he'd help build a wall between Mexico and the United States, and make life too tough for them. Pape didnt' limit his xenophobia to Mexicans, though, as he not only embraced Trump's ideas for the border wall, but called for a halt to accepting Syrian refugees. Scratch that, he called to a halt completely from immigrants from "countries who sponsor terror", which we're pretty sure would only apply to Muslim countries and forget about Ireland's past. Pape's issue stances also include support for mandatory minimum sentencing for crimes and the death penalty while being staunchly "pro-life", his opposition to same-sex marriage, repealing the Affordable Care Act, and other conservative staples. The only thing that could ever be considered in any way moderate about him is that he acknowledges climate change is man-made, but he still didn't want any regulation to prevent it from getting worse). Pape ended up losing spectacularly in the primary for Kentucky's 1st District on May 17th, pulling down but 23% of the vote. He has not re-emerged since.

    On this date in 2017, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Robert Bentley, who was forced to resign from office in disgrace when Bentley fired the top cop in Alabama, who dropped a dime to the media about Bentley cheating on his wife of 50 years on his way out the door, saying he was near Bentley once when he dropped his phone, and it had a sexually explicit text on it directed towards a Governor’s aide on it. Audio quickly surfaced of Gov. Bentley making sexual comments on the phone towards his mistress... and that recording was made by Mrs. Bentley, who confronted the governor about the affair in front of their adult children before filing for divorce. It's only a surprise that it took SO LONG for news of the affair to come out, after all, Bentley would answer the door to his hotel rooms while travelling in his boxers, expecting the aide to be on the other side, only to give random unfortunate souls and eyeful. It would not simply remain a family matter, because in an added twist, Bentley used government resources to carry out the affair and cover it up, which is grounds for impeachment, which opportunistic Republicans in Alabama were more than willing to do. The Alabama state Attorney General, Luther Strange, was in charge of the investigation into any wrongdoing during that time, but in a brazen bit of corruption, Bentley appointed him to be the next Senator from Alabama once Sen. Jeff Sessions was narrowly appointed to be the next U.S. Attorney General. Anyway, on April 9th, 2017, Bentley resigned in disgrace after taking a plea deal to accept punishment of only misdemeanors and refunding money to the state to avoid jail time. Bentley's actual time as governor was filled with several embarrassing moments, such as the time he gave a speech on MLK Day in 2011, always a great opportunity for Alabama Governors to distance themselves from the shameful past it had during the era of George Wallace. Well, for whatever reason, Bentley used the speech to downplay racial division, but chose to try to start religious divisions by saying, "So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother." On immigration? Well, in September of 2011, Bentley signed HB 56 one of the more draconian anti-immigration bills in the country into law, sparking a Justice Department review... and only after a Mercedes-Benz executive got arrested under that piece of legislation did Bentley and Alabama Republicans scramble back to the drawing board to amend it to prevent it from infringing upon immigrants who weren't... y'know... not white. Bentley was staunchly anti-abortion signing harsh anti-choice legislation that aimed at closing the majority of, if not all of the abortion clinics in Alabama. Gov. Bentley was also part of the GOP's efforts to disenfranchise voters with stricter Voter ID requirements, and even moved to close DMV offices where new IDs could be acquired... predominantly in parts of Alabama where the population leans... y'know, the not-white parts of the state. Bentley’s legacy is tainted, and his career is over.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  10. #2035

    Default



    On this date one year ago today, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Georgia State Senator Michael E. Williams, who was elected to his first term in office back in 2014. After being the first Republican politician in Georgia to endorse uber-racist presidential candidate Donald Trump during the 2016 elections, in the 2018 elections, Williams has opted to not run for a second term in the Georgia State Senate, instead opting to aim much higher early in his career, thinking he has a crack at becoming the next Governor of Georgia. There are already several signs as to why that was a mortifying thought for the people of Georgia prior to the GOP Primary for that race. Williams’ voting record is hardly encouraging, what with votes for “religious freedom” bills to allow discrimination towards LGBTQ citizens, a bill to allow adoption agencies to reject potential adoptees for “religious reasons” like their sexual orientation, his vote for a bill to legalize the concealed carry of firearms on university campuses, and of course, his vote for a bill to make English the official language of the state of Georgia, an idea that the Supreme Court has acknowledged as unconstitutional as far back as 1999.

    No, our bigger concern is the four times Michael Williams has turned up on our radar during his campaign for governor. The first time he distinguished himself as being a concern was in June of 2017, when he appeared at an anti-Sharia Law rally being held in the name of paranoid Islamophobia by the anti-Muslim hate group, ACT for America, where he was more than willing to pose with the Georgia Security Force 3% Militia, who just so happen to be a hate group with dual interests, intersecting as not just rabid anti-Islamic nuts who infamously protested a mosque being built in Newton County, and also were not long prior holding a in defense of Confederate monuments. They’re a nice intersection of hate, and Williams was more than happy to pose with them for a photo where they were flashing white supremacist signs. It was only after the Southern Poverty Law Center and the media took note of their friendly little meeting that Williams’ spokesman gave the meager defense that he thought the militant racists were just “pro-gun supporters”.

    So Williams went to an Anti-Islam rally and hung out with Neo-Confederates… but it’s not like he’s staunchly defending Confederate monuments himself or anyth- oh, whoops, he has, on live television, such as in August of 2017 when he was outraged at the thought of monuments being defaced, blaming it on Antifa, and falling all over himself in outrage that anyone would want to blast the face off of Stone Mountain Georgia. As you might expect, a guy who was comfortable chilling out with a militia group packing assault rifles might be, Williams also has quite the hard-on for guns, himself. Enough so that only a few weeks after the mass shooting in Las Vegas, that was carried out by way of using bump stocks to make the guns used fully automatic, that Michael Williams announced that he would be raffling off bump stocks at one of his campaign rallies. And it was only three months ago that Williams went on CNN to defend his criticisms of Delta Airlines, after it decided to end a discount partnership with the NRA following the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida. Williams began outright lying around this time to say that Delta was still clearly acting on partisan lines because it offered discounts to employees of Planned Parenthood. On air, anchor Brianna Keilar called him out for making an untrue statement, and he doubled down, defending his lie because he and other GOP State Senators in Georgia “looked it up on Google and then spent a couple days arguing with Keilar on Twitter, claiming that he’d defended his statement. Williams was trying to drum up support by touting his idea to solve our immigration crisis with a “deportation bus” that would catch, per the painted on sign on its windows, “murderers, rapists, kidnappers, child molestors, and other criminals. Yes, because this bigot also can’t spell. And doesn’t understand that buses are quite large, slow, and would be easy for any suspected illegal immigrants to evade, but “YEEHAW, he’s gonna catch ‘em all like they’re the Pokey-mon.” The end result of the ad was… Williams got banned from Youtube for violating their terms of service because he was sharing super racist views.

    Michael Williams ended up finishing fourth on the GOP Primary in his quest to become the next Governor of Georgia. But it was what happened AFTER the election that we found far more satisfying… it seems that Williams fell victim to a break-in at his own campaign offices, and then filed a fraudulent insurance claim that estimated the value of the computers stolen at almost thirty times their actual worth. For the moment, he’s pleading not guilty… but we feel like even being indicted is probably enough to put a halt to his political career going forward.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  11. #2036
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,620

    Default

    https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/st...61831118000128

    A thread that shows the march towards extreme right wing radicalization for one specific person.

  12. #2037
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I definitely hear people pointing out that a lot of the problems in out society are directly tied to problems with the very system capitalism, but I don't really hear them calling for capitalism to be abolished since there isn't really a good system to replace it with.
    Well the problem isn't capitalism per se, but the fact that certain individuals have managed to concentrate enough wealth and power to rewrite the rules to their advantage, thus enabling them to shut out competitors and keep raking in profits through rent extraction alone, even if their actual services are dogshit. You can kind of see this happening in real time with companies like Google and Facebook, because hard as it might be to remember now, it wasn't so long ago that these were genuinely innovative companies whose services were really loved and appreciated by the people who used them. They didn't achieve this because there was some kind of special sauce or entrepreneurial brilliance at work, they did it because they grew up in a competitive landscape that forced them to stay ahead of their rivals if they wanted to stay alive. Nowadays, they don't have all that much competition to worry about which means that they no longer need to bother improving their services, people will continue to use them simply because they don't have much of a choice, any attempts to create a rival search engine or social network is a complete non-starter these days and would get you laughed out of every VC meeting.

  13. #2038
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well the problem isn't capitalism per se, but the fact that certain individuals have managed to concentrate enough wealth and power to rewrite the rules to their advantage, thus enabling them to shut out competitors and keep raking in profits through rent extraction alone, even if their actual services are dogshit. You can kind of see this happening in real time with companies like Google and Facebook, because hard as it might be to remember now, it wasn't so long ago that these were genuinely innovative companies whose services were really loved and appreciated by the people who used them. They didn't achieve this because there was some kind of special sauce or entrepreneurial brilliance at work, they did it because they grew up in a competitive landscape that forced them to stay ahead of their rivals if they wanted to stay alive. Nowadays, they don't have all that much competition to worry about which means that they no longer need to bother improving their services, people will continue to use them simply because they don't have much of a choice, any attempts to create a rival search engine or social network is a complete non-starter these days and would get you laughed out of every VC meeting.
    A simple example would be WWE.

    Back in the 80s and 90s when they actually had to try to get an audience (due to local wrestling shows and rival WCW) they were at their best. Now though their lazy and mediocre due to having no competition whilst also having devastated the American wrestling scene since they crushed any competition, as such theres no more resources for them to work with.

  14. #2039
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/st...61831118000128

    A thread that shows the march towards extreme right wing radicalization for one specific person.
    Damn...that was very detailed and very depressing.

  15. #2040
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    Also, sounds like things went swimmingly in Italy and France, and with the likely re-election of Trump, we march closer to a unified authoritarian wasteland.

    Maybe I should stop reading the news and just wait to hear the airraid sirens blast.
    Last edited by ZombieHavoc; 05-28-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •