Page 215 of 667 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 10005
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Regarding tonight's session with Biden, Bernie, Harris, Mayor Pete and the rest, I wonder if the moderators will ask the same questions that were posed last night?
    Some have to be asked right, Immigration and the migrant camps is so prevalent in the consciousness right now you cant escape asking what they will do about it. I think Buttigeg will get hit with the issues in South Bend right now in relation to the larger issue of how the candidates appeal to minorities and get traction with the constituency any one of them will need to win the nomination and election at large.

I'm predicting Harris will do well. Biden will just have to weather the punches really and still retain his popularity. Sanders needs a commanding performance too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/polit...urt/index.html

Sounds like the Trump Administration might try again on the Citizenship Question. The battle truly is never ending...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/polit...urt/index.html

Sounds like the Trump Administration might try again on the Citizenship Question. The battle truly is never ending...
    Round 2 won't be seen till the census is out. IF they win, it could be taken right back off in 2030 and it won't be on 2020.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So to clarify.

Women is pregnant.
    Other woman argues with said pregnant women
    Other Woman pulls a gun and shoots women in stomach.
    Baby dies because it was shot.
    Pregnant women is now under "Manslaughter" because her baby died.
    Women who shot her is fine.

Is this right ?
    I can see Alabama send a woman who had a miscarriage to trial to find out of she caused the miscarriage.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Round 2 won't be seen till the census is out. IF they win, it could be taken right back off in 2030 and it won't be on 2020.
    I'm not as optimistic as you.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    And the Supreme Court rejected any limitations on gerrymandering. This should be the news story of the day. Democrats need to win at every fucking level now
    Can't say I'm at all surprised. Rulings like this was what Turtle Boy McConnell hoped for when he started stacking the courts from SCOTUS on down with right wing ideologues. I'm dying to hear the rationale behind that bogus decision by the Supremes, though I suspect one won't be forthcoming.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not as optimistic as you.
    Supreme Court will have Mueller's testimony, the executive privilege invoked, the implications of blocking items related to the case, and the fallout of his testimony after July 17.

That's not counting SIX rather lengthy major labor disputes, the marriage equity dispute, 3 separate civil union disputes, and the border situations.

Those will take them to or through the time the census startup training begins. Nobody is going to let the training start and forms go out AND then rule differently.

It's not optimism, it's flat out logistics. SCOTUS won't be touching it unless the WH figures out someway to turn it into a flaming issue, which they have ones that will be costing them votes if they don't push them first.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-27-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Can't say I'm at all surprised. Rulings like this was what Turtle Boy McConnell hoped for when he started stacking the courts from SCOTUS on down with right wing ideologues. I'm dying to hear the rationale behind that bogus decision by the Supremes, though I suspect one won't be forthcoming.
    Justice Roberts: "The Framers also gave Congress the power to do something about partisan gerrymandering in the Elections Clause. That avenue for reform established by the Framers, and used by Congress in the past, remains open." SCOTUS abdicated and passed the buck on to Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Some have to be asked right, Immigration and the migrant camps is so prevalent in the consciousness right now you cant escape asking what they will do about it. I think Buttigeg will get hit with the issues in South Bend right now in relation to the larger issue of how the candidates appeal to minorities and get traction with the constituency any one of them will need to win the nomination and election at large.
    I wondering about that very thing. I'd be surprised if race isn't brought up in one way or another tonight, and Mayor Pete's troubles back home could be the lightning rod for a round of questioning about minorities and how they're treated, and mistreated by law enforcement. If he drops the ball, he's toast.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I wondering about that very thing. I'd be surprised if race isn't brought up in one way or another tonight, and Mayor Pete's troubles back home could be the lightning rod for a round of questioning about minorities and how they're treated, and mistreated by law enforcement. If he drops the ball, he's toast.
    Huge point right there, and that's going to be resonating for a lot of people. Wonder who's going to pull out Spanish tonight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Justice Roberts: "The Framers also gave Congress the power to do something about partisan gerrymandering in the Elections Clause. That avenue for reform established by the Framers, and used by Congress in the past, remains open." SCOTUS abdicated and passed the buck on to Congress.
    That's what they should've done, as much as we'd all like the quicker fix. Time to win seats and get a true independent system for checking that through Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That's what they should've done, as much as we'd all like the quicker fix. Time to win seats and get a true independent system for checking that through Congress.
    Yup, the courts won't fix the unbalanced system keeping Democrats from winning the majority of seats despite getting the majority of votes so our solution is . . . to continue to vote in the unbalanced system hoping to win more seats?

Instead: The SCOTUS could rule that Gerrymandering is Illegal and require/recommend Congress set up independent groups to redraw them (Or require their creation independent of congress), as that's what happens most often when these sorts of lower court cases go against the gerrymanderers as far as I know. Of course that assumes that both the SCOTUS and Congress actually work for the people instead of the partisan bullshit they are currently bogged down in.

To be fair, gerrymandering shouldn't be a partisan issue. If affects both sides. In fact, one of the cases the SCOTUS heard was from Maryland who argued that there was gerrymandering in favor of the Democrats. Gerrymandering tends to occur a lot around urban areas that make up certain demographic areas in order to secure the most votes for whose ever side is in power. Look at the Illinois 4th. At least that's within one community. There was the old New York 28th that encapsulated part of Rochester, shot up North, got a small sliver a long the lake all the way to Niagara Falls and the suburbs of Buffalo.

Unfortunately Republicans seem to be really good at not caring about stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    To be fair, gerrymandering shouldn't be a partisan issue. If affects both sides. In fact, one of the cases the SCOTUS heard was from Maryland who argued that there was gerrymandering in favor of the Democrats. Gerrymandering tends to occur a lot around urban areas that make up certain demographic areas in order to secure the most votes for whose ever side is in power. Look at the Illinois 4th. At least that's within one community. There was the old New York 28th that encapsulated part of Rochester, shot up North, got a small sliver a long the lake all the way to Niagara Falls and the suburbs of Buffalo.

Unfortunately Republicans seem to be really good at not caring about stuff like this.
    The answer seems simple enough. Have a couple large blue states gerrymander and make the Republican party disappear in those states entirely. Republicans might care then.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Huge point right there, and that's going to be resonating for a lot of people. Wonder who's going to pull out Spanish tonight.
    And it's not just Mayor Pete who could be tapdancing through a minefield tonight. Bernie Sanders has been known to be more than a little tone deaf when it comes to race, filtering EVERYTHING through his narrow prism of economic independence, just like Tulsi Gabbard based nearly all her answers last night around the importance of the military and her experiences in same, sometimes to her detriment I think. If race relations does become an issue tonight, how will Sanders respond to it?