Page 220 of 667 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 10005
  1. #3286
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not as optimistic as you.
    Trump to push for delay of census in wake of Supreme Court ruling

    President Trump on Thursday said that he is asking his administration to temporarily delay the 2020 census in light of the Supreme Court ruling blocking the citizenship status question for the time being.

    "I have asked the lawyers if they can delay the Census, no matter how long, until the United States Supreme Court is given additional information from which it can make a final and decisive decision on this very critical matter," Trump tweeted.

    "Can anyone really believe that as a great Country, we are not able the ask whether or not someone is a Citizen. Only in America!"

    The Supreme Court earlier Thursday ruled 5-4 against the Trump administration over the census citizenship question, finding that the official reasoning for the question was not in line with evidence presented in the case.

    The justices, in a majority opinion authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, sent the matter back to the Commerce Department to provide a reasoning more aligned with the evidence.

    The justices also sent the case back down to a lower court for further proceedings.

  2. #3287
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    All of that bluster changes nothing. I dont want a rogue Supreme Court either. The bullshit they can pull will make gerrymandering look like nothing.

    We need to applaud our government staying in their lanes, not cheerlead abuse because it suits us.
    This is exactly what the SC should rule on. As Justice Kagan wrote, Gerrymandering deprives people of representation. It is a Constitutional issue. This IS their lane. But they are partisan hacks. The ouster of Kennedy has given them what they wanted.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  3. #3288
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,454

    Default

    He can't, the Census is in the Constitution. What a fricken vile moron.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  4. #3289
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He can't, the Census is in the Constitution. What a fricken vile moron.
    You think Trump gives a fuck what is or isn't in the Constitution? He's pouting like the spoiled man-child he is and lashing out because SCOTUS didn't give him what he wanted on the proverbial silver platter.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-27-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #3290
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is exactly what the SC should rule on. As Justice Kagan wrote, Gerrymandering deprives people of representation. It is a Constitutional issue. This IS their lane. But they are partisan hacks. The ouster of Kennedy has given them what they wanted.
    I sympathize with Kagan's reasoning, but I disagree with her.

  6. #3291
    Postin' since Aug '05 Dalak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    All of that bluster changes nothing. I dont want a rogue Supreme Court either. The bullshit they can pull will make gerrymandering look like nothing.

    We need to applaud our government staying in their lanes, not cheerlead abuse because it suits us.
    How exactly is any of that Bluster?

    Also: I hate the phrase 'stay in your lane' and variations, particularly when it comes to the government. The various branches of government are meant to be checks on the others to keep things balanced, and gerrymandering is inherently unbalancing thus it needs addressing one way or another. Having any branch go rogue is bad, don't let anyone tell you different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is exactly what the SC should rule on. As Justice Kagan wrote, Gerrymandering deprives people of representation. It is a Constitutional issue. This IS their lane. But they are partisan hacks. The ouster of Kennedy has given them what they wanted.
    This guy gets it!

  7. #3292
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,990

    Default

    Twitter is going after world leaders. According to CNN
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  8. #3293

    Default

    On this date in 2015, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled John Lloyd Ellis, the former Chairman of the Alabama Cherokee County Republican Party whose career ended when he was discovered to have a massive marijuana farm being operated out of his home by police. Last we heard, he was looking at a prison sentence of one to ten years.

    On this date in 2016, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Alex Beinstein, who as a 28-year old libertarian who filed as a Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives seat for Colorado’s 3rdCongressional District, as a primary challenger to incumbent Congressman Scott Tipton, focusing almost entirely on a single issue… destroying all foreign relations between the United States and Saudi Arabia. Now, among the many Saudi-related conspiracies that Beinstein believes is that Saudi Arabia was behind the 9/11 attacks, helped protect Osama bin Laden while he was hiding in Pakistan, and are responsible for helping create ISIS. But how do they get away with it, you ask? Bribes. Bribes all over the place. Saudi princes have spent money to corrupt everyone from President Barack Obama and CNN’s Anderson Cooper to House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Fox News leadership. Beinstein also told The Huffington Post that Bill Gates, Apple Inc., The Plaza Hotel in New York and the Four Seasons hotel chain are among other alleged lackeys of the kingdom. (Let’s not even get started on Hillary Clinton.) Beinstein compares cutting ties to Saudi Arabia as to when the United States chose to stop doing business with Nazi Germany, so we’ll add a little dash of Godwin’s Law to his wacky mix. And of course, Beinstein said his primary opponent, Tipton, is in on the conspiracy, and his evidence is… Tipton has failed to publicly condemn Saudi Arabia and has ties to local oil, gas and coal companies. Beinstein, being a libertarian, also has thoughts on gun control… he’s against all of it, specifically even arguing against the idea that those deemed mentally ill or incompetent should still be allowed to have their 2nd Amendment rights. (We suspect this might be because a psychologist might one day recommend Beinstein not have firearms, since he’s already showing some signs of needing to shop for real estate with padded walls.) Beinstein managed a meager 21% of the vote against Tipton in the 2016 GOP primary for that Congressional seat, and it bears watching if he makes another run for office on the platform of, “I REALLY DON’T LIKE SAUDI ARABIA, YOU GUYS.”

    On this date in 2017, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Paul Blair, a radical anti-gay pastor from Oklahoma who has twice run for the Oklahoma State Senate, and a big ally of State Rep. Sally Kern, who proudly spoke of her political credentials (i.e. her dedication to oppressing the LGBT community) at the “Rally for Sally” back in 2008. You see, he was all lathered up after she said that gays represent a bigger threat to America than terrorism (since gay rights made people like Blair and Kern victims). Blair is a former player for the Chicago Bears (and could easily be operating under the effects of long term head injuries), the pastor of Fairview Baptist Church in Edmond, Oklahoma, the founder of Reclaiming Oklahoma for Christ, head of the Reclaiming America For Christ organization. He's also appeared at an anti-hate crimes “Rally for Religious Freedom” where he and anti-gay activists vowed never to stop fighting homosexuality and challenged the Justice Department to prosecute them. Blair was the driving force behind a video called “The Criminalization of Christianity” in which he warns that hate crimes legislation is actually a “Pedophile Protection Act”, would “make it possible for a pastor to be prosecuted for doing nothing more than preaching a Biblical sermon on Sunday”. Which would be breaking a commandment about bearing false witness, because hate crime legislation does nothing to criminalize free speech (because that would be an unconstitutional violation of the 1st Amendment now, wouldn't it?) But it would seem that lying is a frequent habit of Pastor Blair, who claims he receives death threats from the gay community over his stance (that are repeatedly unfounded). And that's when Blair tried saying the unsubstantiated death threats were his motivation for making himself a 2012 candidate for the Oklahoma State Senate (endorsed by that anti-gay hate group, the Family Research Council), where he lost in the Republican Primary, earning a shockingly impressive 43% of the vote. Some of the more disturbing and/or homophobic quotes from Paul Blair's most bats*** speeches include that "The Devil is behind gay rights and gay culture", before whining how America has gone from "Ozzie and Harriet to Desperate Housewives" and "from True Grit to Brokeback Mountain", claiming that the “communists” are trying to “inculcate homosexual values, or lack of values, into the American culture” in order “to destroy the family” and create “a global utopia", adding that "Satan is the source and ultimate conspirator” behind “the force of communism, the force of the radical homosexual agenda, the secularist movement in America", and of course, comparing his battle against gay marriage to be similar to “the fight against slavery and Nazi Germany”. Paul Blair has also promoted conspiracy theories about how our government deliberately launches EMP attacks against conservative Christians, and that Jade Helm 15 and began promoting the alternative history that the ancient Israelites had a Constitutional Republic. It takes an extremist to be too far to the right in Oklahoma, but Paul Blair manages to pull it off.

    On this date in 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled the former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Michigan’s 11th District, Dave Trott, who was first elected back in 2014, when the GOP were desperate for a sane candidate to replace the far more bizarre CSGOPOTD legend Kerry Bentivolio. Trott just straight up outspent Benvolio in the 2014 Primary for this seat by a ratio of 25-1 and took his infamous reprutation as being “Michigan’s foreclosure king" who got rich during the Great Recession of ’07 and ’08 by preying on homeowners who couldn’t afford to pay their mortgage and were being evicted from their homes, including signing off on the paperwork to evict a 101 year old Detroit woman from her home, leaving her belongings in the street.. In many ways, that’s actually a perfect representation of modern Republican values. While in Congress, Trott’s voting record exemplifies that “rich white men first” mentality, trying to repeal the ACA and defund Planned Parenthood among many other stereotypically conservative measures. Only about seven weeks into Dave Trott’s second term in office that he was caught on a hot mic with aides after a tense town hall talking to advisers about how the protesters who showed up to complain about their Congressman ignoring the working class were “un-American”. One of his aides claimed it was his voice on the recording (maybe, maybe not)… but needless to say, Trott didn’t have the courage to ever host another town hall after kicking the hornet’s nest and announced his retirement after only two terms in office in September of 2017. As such, we’ll retire her profile at this time and go ahead and take a look at a different wacky Republican today instead. (Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 762-40, since this was established in July 2014.)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  9. #3294
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Twitter is going after world leaders. According to CNN
    Considering who owns Twitter, are we talking about leaders on Trump’s shit list?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  10. #3295

    Default


    Ron Beaty

    Welcome to the 762nd original “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile, where today we’ll be discussing Ron Beaty, a human thumb with hair and Republican candidate for the Massachusetts state legislature, who lost in an attempt to get elected to the Massachusetts State Senate the 2014 general election. That bid seemed like a long shot even with the GOP having political momentum that year, because Beaty served a 16 month prison sentence back in 1991 for making death threats against Republican President George H.W. Bush, the late Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy, and Massachusetts State Senator Lois Pines.

    Beaty was trying his luck again to pull an upset in 2018 even in the face of the predicted Blue Wave to represent the Cape and Islands district of the state, with the momentum Donald Trump showed in 2016, Beaty hoped as a fellow member of the “bloated old white guy” demographic, that he could ride the white nationalist coattails of Trump into a second chance at political success beyond just being a County Commissioner, branding himself as “Deplorable and Proud of It”.

    Go figure, Beaty lives up to that promise. Because in the weeks after the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, Beaty took to Twitter to call shooting survivor David Hogg “a communist pig” for his anti-gun advocacy. He refused to apologize, and ignored calls to resign as County Commissioner. The only good news to come out of that is… Beaty became as politically radioactive as Chernobyl as a result, and lost the GOP Primary in 2018 for the state legislature with only 21% of the vote.

    Still, after the election, and prior to us having printed this article, he made the news again in April of 2019, when he again took to social media to suggest that LGBTQ Americans cannot serve in political office, because they are "too self-absorbed and self-centered”:

    Yet again, Ron Beaty refused to apologize or resign from his position as County Commissioner. Instead, he defended his Twitter post, comparing it to the sorts of things Donald Trump posts about. Which, to any sane person, is hardly a paragon of virtue to use to defend oneself.

    We don’t think Ron Beaty ever has a chance of getting elected to the Massachusetts state legislature at this point, and we’re predicting that when his term of office as commissioner is up, that if he does run for re-election, he gets his ass effectively stomped into a mudhole in 2020.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 06-27-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  11. #3296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So to clarify.

    Women is pregnant.
    Other woman argues with said pregnant women
    Other Woman pulls a gun and shoots women in stomach.
    Baby dies because it was shot.
    Pregnant women is now under "Manslaughter" because her baby died.
    Women who shot her is fine.

    Is this right ?
    Isn't the argument that the pregnant woman instigated the altercation?

  12. #3297
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Isn't the argument that the pregnant woman instigated the altercation?
    I'm sure you have had your share of altercations, would those ever justify someone pulling out a gun and shooting you? It's childish to talk about who started it when the end result was an act of violence with a weapon/gun.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  13. #3298
    Fantastic Member kmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Isn't the argument that the pregnant woman instigated the altercation?
    So shooting someone and saying "they started it" is a valid argument for shooting someone now(a pregnant woman)? Are we living in the third grade?

  14. #3299
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,315

    Default

    Since I don't know if this one is going to make national news, this evening's news on the CBS affiliate had a piece about Sheriff Tom Dart allowing inmates at the Cook County Jail to register and vote absentee ballot up until they have been sentenced.

  15. #3300
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Isn't the argument that the pregnant woman instigated the altercation?
    Who gives a damn? SHE was the one who got shot! SHE was the one who lost her child, then was fucked over by a (pardon the pun) miscarriage of justice!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •