Page 23 of 127 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 1892
  1. #331

    Default

    It was on this date in 2015 that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” had a profile of Kim Lehman, a former Republican National Committee member who in 2010, called for Americans to rise up in armed revolt as courts began to uphold same sex marriages. She would later also start ranting on social media about how President Obama was secretly Muslim, and when Politico reported her claims, and debunked them, she accused the media of participating in a cover up of Obama’s true faith and allegiances. The Republican Party then tried forcing her to resign prior to their 2012 National Convention, but she refused, sticking around to help write the party platform, and then bragging to the media about how she personally had made sure it included mentions of the dreaded Agenda 21, thus confirming she was a nutty conspiracy theorist, in case there was still any doubt that she deserved to be shown the door.



    In 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented its original profile of the U.S. House Representative from Pennsylvania’s 12th Congressional District, Tom Marino. During the Bush administration back in 2007, Marino was elevated to be the U.S. Attorney in Pennsylvania’s Middle District, but he resigned while under investigation for ethics violations. After that, Marino spent three years working as a six-figure lawyer at a private practice, and then like many of the chuckleheads that we’ve covered at CSGOPOTD he was elected in 2010, in the Tea Party Wave. Maybe someone should have paid attention to the fact that Tom Marino’s as dumb as a post when it comes to a great many things. For starters, geography. You see, back in his first 90 days in office, Marino decided to criticize the Obama administration’s strategy in Libya, asking, “Is there a plan? Is the mission to take Gadhafi out? Where does it stop? Do we go into Africa next? " which indicates he’s not aware that Libya is actually in Africa. What made that statement even more sad for our country was that Marino was placed by Republican House leadership on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, which is a great place for a guy who doesn’t know where the foreign countries actually are. Where Tom Marino really stands out, however, is how much he loved, LOVED to talk about impeachment. However, he doesn’t seem to understand how that works, or who it is that can be impeached. The first instance where he did so was back in February of 2013, when he was talking about impeaching Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, for… reasons. (Where he’s a bit off…Senators don’t get impeached. They can be expelled, however, by a 2/3 majority vote.) A few months later, in July 2013, after President Obama announced he wanted to delay the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (which supposedly the GOP wanted so they could try to repeal it before it took effect), Marino again seemed to stumble with the concept of how impeachment worked, talking about indicting Obama for his decision, comparing it to Watergate. (Again, Rep. Marino is not just a lawyer, but a former U.S. Attorney, albeit a Bush administration appointee, who doesn’t seem to know that that’s in no way a crime, let alone an impeachable offense.) Marino called for the impeachment of both President Obama AND Attorney General Eric Holder in February of 2015, insisting that HE wasn’t talking about impeachment, he just kept hearing questions about it at town halls. He then proceeded to talk about how both men were “approaching impeachment” because they were not “enforcing the laws”. He gave no specific laws, that he would have a case for impeachment hearings, of course. Mind you, Marino imagined a lot of wrongdoing by Obama and Holder, though, to be sure, like when in January of 2015, when he accused them of using the Justice Department to illegally fund “activist groups”. And he of course, provided no evidence of that.

    But, in our introduction to Tom Marino, we are proud to include his most partisan and cowardly moment in his three terms in office, from August of 2014. Republicans were in lockstep, campaigning hard on two issues in the mid-term elections… fears about Ebola Virus, and of course, anti-immigrant sentiment. And as debate in the House over immigration reform and how to help migrant children from South America being detained was ongoing, Tom Marino took to the House floor, and laid the blame solely on… Nancy Pelosi? It seems that in the warped mind of Marino, it was not Republicans in the House and Senate voting against immigration reform at every opportunity who were responsible for the DREAM Act not passing, nor was it House Speaker John Boehner blocking later versions of the bill from coming up for a vote for almost two years. By not getting her entire caucus to work together to pass EVERYTHING they wanted, including that legislation, she was at fault. Well, unfortunately for Rep. Marino… Nancy Pelosi was in the room, and she went right after him for invoking her name in such a manner, yelling at him and calling him a liar, as he retreated from her up the aisle like a coward. After the incident, Pelosi’s aides reported she received an apology, Marino of course denied it, and said Pelosi is “a prime example of why we need term limits”.

    When last we left Rep. Tom Marino, he was sucking up to the Trump administration, hoping for an appointment to be the drug czar for it, and combat the opioid crisis. There’s just one problem with that… he withdrew his name from the running in shame after an investigation by The Washington Post and "60 Minutes” detailed his years-long efforts to pass a law that critics say allowed the drug industry to profit off people addicted to opioids. Can you believe that? Donald Trump wanted to nominate someone to a post who was revealed to have a financial interest in not just failing to do the job, but a track record of profiting by working against the mission statement of that position? THE HELL YOU SAY. (Also, the latest ethical lapse from Marino).

    So instead, Tom Marino ran for a fifth term in Congress in 2018. He won the election with 66% of the vote, mostly because of the partisan lean gave a +11 Republican advantage.

    However, about two and a half weeks into the new session of Congress, Tom Marino resigned to go take a job in the public sector, likely enraged at the prospect of operating as a member of the minority party in the House.

    We here at CSGOPOTD would like to wish Marino our heartiest of “GOOD RIDDANCE!” greetings.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  2. #332
    Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,085

    Default

    Attention Black People: It’s Your Fault Should Donald Trump Get Re-Elected in 2020

    Narrator: It's really not. The writer is being facetious.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, Avengers, Invaders, Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Savage Avengers, and tentatively Powers of X/House of X.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Doomsday Clock, Heroes In Crisis

    Xbox Live Gamertag:

    K0SL0X

  3. #333
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Attention Black People: It’s Your Fault Should Donald Trump Get Re-Elected in 2020

    Narrator: It's really not. The writer is being facetious.

    It's white men, it's always white men.





    The only group that really supported Trump. (white women also have something to answer for, especially how anti-woman Trump is)
    That 30% difference is embarrassing.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 04-18-2019 at 06:48 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  4. #334
    Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's white men, it's always white men.





    The only group that really supported Trump. (white women also have something to answer for, especially how anti-woman Trump is)
    That 30% difference is embarrassing.
    Oh, for sure. I mostly just posted that because there is almost always a narrative that develops to account for some progressive defeat that lays the blame on black people either not voting in our* best interests, or being ill informed.

    Nah, we understand the game just fine. We are the most reliably left voting block.

    *for some reason 22 year old white guys seem to be so much more keyed in to the problems affecting us.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, Avengers, Invaders, Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Savage Avengers, and tentatively Powers of X/House of X.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Doomsday Clock, Heroes In Crisis

    Xbox Live Gamertag:

    K0SL0X

  5. #335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    *for some reason 22 year old white guys seem to be so much more keyed in to the problems affecting us.
    I honestly believe it's because of the age demographics for Fox News viewership. Old people watch Fox News, and support Trump. Young people see the Republican Party demonizing the LGBTQ Community, Trump disparaging women, and seeing Trump being openly racist, and aren't down with it because they won't play the "it was okay when I grew up" theory, because they just grew up.

    His approval rating with people under age twenty-five is only 33%
    .
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  6. #336
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's white men, it's always white men.





    The only group that really supported Trump. (white women also have something to answer for, especially how anti-woman Trump is)
    That 30% difference is embarrassing.
    This is just my opinion, but I attributed that to a couple of factors:

    A) White women were just as invested on keeping minorities down on the societal ladder as white men, thus their support for Trump, despite his rampant misogyny, they just weren't as out in the open about it
    B) Their general dislike of Hillary and blatant refusal to vote for her, regardless of her gender. I distinctly remember seeing quotes that said, in so many words, that women refused to "vote with their (body part)"
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-18-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  7. #337
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I attributed that to a couple of factors:

    A) White women were just as invested on keeping minorities down on the societal ladder as white men, thus their support for Trump, despite his rampant misogyny, they just weren't as out in the open about it
    B) Their general dislike of Hillary and blatant refusal to vote for her, regardless of her gender. I distinctly remember seeing quotes that said, in so many words, that women refused to "vote with their (body part)"
    I mostly agree...

  8. #338
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I attributed that to a couple of factors:

    A) White women were just as invested on keeping minorities down on the societal ladder as white men, thus their support for Trump, despite his rampant misogyny, they just weren't as out in the open about it
    B) Their general dislike of Hillary and blatant refusal to vote for her, regardless of her gender. I distinctly remember seeing quotes that said, in so many words, that women refused to "vote with their (body part)"
    But even then it was almost 50/50. And i am very sure it is the older white women who voted for Trump. The ones that birth control and abortion don't matter. The ones screaming at black and brown people on their block.

    I worked the Census in 2010, Older white woman were the angriest people I ran into.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  9. #339
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I attributed that to a couple of factors:

    A) White women were just as invested on keeping minorities down on the societal ladder as white men, thus their support for Trump, despite his rampant misogyny, they just weren't as out in the open about it
    B) Their general dislike of Hillary and blatant refusal to vote for her, regardless of her gender. I distinctly remember seeing quotes that said, in so many words, that women refused to "vote with their (body part)"
    It’s not even that really. It’s one party not so subtlety gives lip service to white men and endears themselves to them and the other doesn’t. Not that they are remotely better whatsoever. It’s just one is pushing a narrative that they will benefit them and one doesn’t. It’s like how there are some people on here have displayed apprehension towards Sanders because he doesn’t speak directly to minority issues in favor of an economic message. Same idea.

    Then you add in that women’s lives are quite frankly benefitted more by their husband and father’s and boyfriend’s being well off, and they vote with who is throwing dog whistles saying “we are the white men party”.

    As far as Hillary I think she was just a flawed candidate with a lot of baggage. She was poison for anyone who wasn’t a firm
    Democrat. She pissed off Obama’s coalition for how 08 was handled. Her ties to big banks and Wall Street made liberals not want to vote for her. To be honest, she probably did better than she would have otherwise because Trump was against her and it made it hard to vote against her.

  10. #340
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    *talks about how uneducated white males vote Trump*

    *Still manages to somehow make it about pro Bernie and shitting on Clinton*

    Its almost like clockwork.

  11. #341
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    *talks about how uneducated white males vote Trump*

    *Still manages to somehow make it about pro Bernie and shitting on Clinton*

    Its almost like clockwork.
    It was an example that was easy to use because of the sentiment in this thread with some people. Probably should have remembered he was a trigger word for some people and that they wouldn’t be able to parse out the actual point without getting in their feelings.

    It’s kind of sad that I thought I might have to preface it with “not using it to argue, just to make a parallel”, but I Gabe it the benefit of the doubt. That was my mistake.

  12. #342
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    As far as Hillary I think she was just a flawed candidate with a lot of baggage. She was poison for anyone who wasn’t a firm
    Democrat. She pissed off Obama’s coalition for how 08 was handled. Her ties to big banks and Wall Street made liberals not want to vote for her. To be honest, she probably did better than she would have otherwise because Trump was against her and it made it hard to vote against her.

    But that's not true. All candidates are flawed, and you obviously don't think Trump's glaring flaws mattered. The facts don't support your Hillary hatred. You disregard the Russians, voter suppression, Comey and that she won the vote. She actually got a bigger chunk of the white woman vote than Obama did. She was who American wanted for President if a historic clusterf^#& didn't lead to the criminal now in the White House.

    Compare for white women Obama 42%, Clinton 45%.

    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  13. #343
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But that's not true. All candidates are flawed, and you obviously don't think Trump's glaring flaws mattered. The facts don't support your Hillary hatred. You disregard the Russians, voter suppression, Comey and that she won the vote. She actually got a bigger chunk of the white woman vote than Obama did. She was who American wanted for President if a historic clusterf^#& didn't lead to the criminal now in the White House.

    Compare for white women Obama 42%, Clinton 45%.

    I literally said “she probably did better than she would have otherwise because Trump was against her”. How you quote and rationalize that I didn’t think Trumps glaring flaws mattered. Okay whatever.

    Am supposed to be impressed that she did slightly better in her own demographic than a candidate that shared neither the race or gender of that target demographic. Seriously imagine a scenario where Obama does only slightly better with black men. That would be demoralizing. Not to mention, she didn’t even win it. She lost it.

    Obama decisively won his demographic and brought it up 6 percentage points from the next person. Clinton lost her demographic and only brought it up half of what Obama did for his. If Clinton had the same success she would be President.

    And yes, Comey was known baggage that she brought that nobody else had. Voter suppression is something you always will have to account for, you can’t use that as an excuse. As far as the Russians. Yes they spread a misinformation campaign. Maybe we should ask why so many people were inclined to believe a bunch of bots online.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 04-18-2019 at 09:40 AM.

  14. #344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But that's not true. All candidates are flawed, and you obviously don't think Trump's glaring flaws mattered. The facts don't support your Hillary hatred. You disregard the Russians, voter suppression, Comey and that she won the vote. She actually got a bigger chunk of the white woman vote than Obama did. She was who American wanted for President if a historic clusterf^#& didn't lead to the criminal now in the White House.

    Compare for white women Obama 42%, Clinton 45%.
    i wonder why...
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  15. #345
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,851

    Default

    Here's two rather opposing points of view, depending on what side of the political aisle you stand on:

    William Barr Has Failed America

    Observers of the Justice Department will spend the rest of our lives talking about Attorney General William Barr’s jaw-dropping and horrifically inappropriate address on Thursday morning, which attempted to spin special counsel Robert Mueller’s report in Donald Trump’s favor—before the public has seen it. In just a few minutes, Barr managed to throw Mueller under the bus, mount a Fox News–style defense of Trump, and further obscure his dubious decision to absolve the president of obstruction of justice. It is hard to convey just how appalling Barr’s performance was, and it will take a while to assess the extent of the damage Barr just inflicted on the Department of Justice and the office of the attorney general. But let me take a first crack: This was Pravda-style propaganda, pure and simple, a grotesque display of spineless fealty to the president, and a confirmation that Barr views the Mueller investigation as fundamentally illegitimate.
    **********

    Mueller took many improper actions investigating Trump – Here are a few

    The release Thursday of the redacted report of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe of Russia’s interference in our 2016 presidential election should mark the end of a long, expensive and pointless investigation. It was an investigation that damaged the American legal system in ways that should not be forgotten.

    But don’t expect the Mueller report to fade into history in coming days. Democrats who control the House of Representatives are already demanding to see the entire report without any redactions.

    The Democrats also want to see President Trump’s tax returns for the past six years, an enormous amount of other information about the president’s long and successful business career going back decades, and information about his activities and communications with aides in the White House.

    What’s next? Demands to see Trump’s elementary school report cards?

    Instead of wanting to legislate and serve the American people, the Democrats are determined to investigate, investigate and investigate some more to serve their own political needs. They are desperate to find something – anything – to deny the president a second term in office.
    Hypercharged partisan spin on BOTH sides of the argument in the aftermath of the Mueller Report release, and things only figure to get louder and uglier from there while divisions continue growing.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •