Page 230 of 667 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240280330 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It is difficult to suggest that was part of the legacy of the fifth Vice President is unconstitutional 200+ years later.

It would also be unclear what the exact standards would be for the independent groups, as well as the question of who composes the groups. I wrote this before, but should we seek to maintain communities of interest when dividing borders? Should we have completely random geographically contiguous districts? Should we create artificial borders in order to increase the chances that the popular vote will match the outcomes (IE- that states where a majority of the vote goes to one party have a similar split in the legislature)? A problem with that is that populations change, so what works in one election may get skewed results in another (IE- suburban women swung heavily against Republicans after the nomination of Trump, which is the kind of thing that changes the dynamics of districts.) It'll be a trainwreck if judges and commissions have solutions to different problems. There is also the risk with commissions of having a politically unaccountable group pushing behind the scenes for preferred outcomes without any checks on what they can do.
    Vagueries in Forum Discussion worry you more than actual policy being enacted by your Republican party. Actual people being mistreated in camps aren't worth fighting for having better treatment because of phrases like 'treat these people like human beings' in response to said mistreatment. If you as a registered Republican were to call your Senators and Congresspeople (Local and not) and show them your objections to this policy you'd have much more of an impact than any liberal as they ignore us, have you done so? You've said this shouldn't continue but you never responded to how long it should still continue thanks to the phrasing I used, so I think it's important to see if you are even willing to put that much effort into holding your party responsible for policies you say that you oppose.

BTW: Gerrymandering being tied to a VP from hundreds of years ago shouldn't protect the current illegal practice from being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Question for the thread.

Whats with the large number of conservative posters on social media ? I see tons of right wingers slinging **** on YT comments, Twitter etc. Yet never in a more legitimate forum where actual debate can be had ?
    Very simple. When bullies are confronted with people who fight back, they generally turn tail and run away.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So in that case, it still isn't "if the fetus dies for any reason the mother is a criminal."
    We are always only one law passing away from that happening. And if the anti-abortion wave coming out of the red states is any indication that's not as far away as it should be.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Warren’s older so I’d lean towards her for the same reason. If they win and they have a good run, you can turn 8 years into 16 years.

I’m hesitant to run that ticket for two reasons

1. You have Senators from MA and CA. Two of the most liberal. Typically you want someone who can bring you a swing state or at least get you some traction in the Midwest where you need to win.

2. This is bad but I worry about two women on the same ticket.
    You like to believe this country and its people have grown up and matured enough to embrace a two woman ticket in a presidential race, sadly, that's not the case. Way too many knuckledraggers out there who refuse to even believe, never mind accept that a woman can be Commander-in-Chief, having two women occupying the highest office in the land would be a bridge too far for certain segments of the populace.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The reservation I have is that Bernie Sanders doesn't sway people. If you like his policies - you generally climb aboard pretty quickly. If you don't? Well, I wouldn't put "persuasive" as a strength of Bernie. He just yells and stumps mostly.

He has good points (like how many people would see a net win each month on his healthcare, even with higher taxes) he's just brutal about articulating it. In a general election, that's a defeat waiting to happen. At least Warren has some persuasiveness to her. She's likable and relatable, but still passionate. In terms of that wing of the party, she's the better bet.
    I slightly disagree with the idea that Sanders doesn't sway people. He went in front the Fox crowd and was able to open a few minds while making the Fox Hosts look like the hacks they are. I don't think his likability factor is going to be a problem in the general election.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I slightly disagree with the idea that Sanders doesn't sway people. He went in front the Fox crowd and was able to open a few minds while making the Fox Hosts look like the hacks they are. I don't think his likability factor is going to be a problem in the general election.
    Like I said it basically comes down to the people who blame him for Hillary. Lots of people haven’t come to grips with it and needed someone to blame. So they scapegoat him and his supporters. He didn’t even have a bad night. Was rather so-so but you could see the glee some people here had that he didn’t have s breakout night.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 06-28-2019 at 11:05 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That wasnt a Fox viewer audience. I wouldnt put much stock in that.

If Bernie had Warren's charm and abilitu to articulate with passion he would be ideal.

Like I said it basically comes down to the people who blame him for Hillary. Lots of people haven’t come to grips with it and needed someone to blame. So they scapegoat him and his supporters. He didn’t even have a bad night. Was rather so-so but you could see the glee some people here had that he didn’t have s breakout night.
    You can't glory in those you dislike fumbling and failing one night and complain about others doing it to one you do like the next. Well obviously you can, but you won't come off as genuine anyway.

On this date in 2015, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profile of David Schultheis, a former Colorado State Senator who over the course of a decade, continuously proved himself to be an example of the GOP’s most cruel and heartless elected officials. In 2006, he responded to news of a fatal car accident that killed three Hispanic citizens by demanding that their citizenship should be checked (which, y’know, would have shown a lack of empathy even if they had survived). In 2009, during debate on a bill that would have provided HIV testing for all pregnant women, he cast the lone vote against it, arguing that “HIV stems from promiscuity” and he didn’t feel the legislature should “remove the negative consequences that take place from poor behavior and unacceptable behavior”. As if an issue position of hoping babies get AIDS to punish their mothers wasn’t revolting enough, later on in 2009 he compared President Obama’s economic policies to the terrorists who hijacked Flight 93 on 9/11, and declared “Let’s Roll” the last message of the people on board who stormed the cockpit rather than be aimed at another government building. Since leaving office in 2010, Schultheis remerged once in 2013 to say that the openly gay Speaker of the Colorado House adopting a child amounted to “deliberate child abuse”, so he’s a homophobic ***hole as well. Schultheis has been silent now going on six years consecutitvely, and it the time of this posting, is 77, so a political comeback seems unlikely.

In 2016, 2017, as well as 2018, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” presented profiles of the sitting U.S. House Representative from Texas’ 36th Congressional District, Brian Babin, a dentist by trade who made his first run for Congress two decades ago, failing to be elected in 1996, and making news for being caught in a campaign finance scandal, where he was found to have tried circumventing the rules for maximum donations from one donor by having intermediaries deliver the large sums in smaller pieces. He was caught, and fined $20,000 by the normally toothless FEC. Two years later, in 1998, that scandal may not have been what stood in the way of a Babin victory, as much as the story of his campaign manager simultaneously coming out of the closet, and resigning, saying that Babin had said numerous disparaging things about homosexuals in private meetings. Babin denied this, but the tabloid-like nature of the story, combined with his earlier scandal was enough to sink his chances again.

Well, Texas' 36th District has never been shy about taking on controversial candidates, considering they elected Rep. Steve Stockman back in 2012, nearly two decades after he crazied his way out of office. By 2014, Rep. Stockman had shown he hadn't changed much, so the district elected Babin, another embarrassing throwback to two decades earlier. During the 2014 election season, Brian Babin revealed a variety of mind-numbingly stupid ideas, like his belief that the Affordable Care Act would bankrupt America, his desire to do away with the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Homeland Security, and of course, his desire to build a border wall along the U.S./Mexico border (beating Donald Trump to the punch on this stupid, stupid idea).

Since hitting Washington, D.C. in his late sixties, he has followed up on his campaign platform, showing outrage whenever possible. Perhaps the best example is his response to the Supreme Court's King vs. Burwell ruling, where he introduced legislation that would force all nine of the Supreme Court Justices to enroll in healthcare through the Affordable Care Act (rather than the insurance plans they already have) to show them what they were relegating the American people to. Seriously, this was his patronizing quote:
    A few months later, his xenophobia hit a fever pitch. While most Republicans freaked out about the Syrian refugee program AFTER the terror attacks in Paris by ISIS sympathizers from France and Belgium (i.e. not carried out by any Syrian refugees), On September 17th, 2015, Brian Babin went on Facebook to call for a complete suspension of the entire Refugee Resettlement Program, writing:
    Two months later in November of 2015, Babin took to Breitbart Radio to be interviewed by Steve Bannon himself, and talk about legislation he filed to defund the Refugee resettlement program. While Babin acknowledged that Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus were refugee, this was different because, “Jesus and Mary didn’t have suicide bomb vests strapped on them.” Babin also has tried squaring his overall Islamophobic stance because he believes that "No-Go Zones" set up by Muslim communities are actually a thing happening in Michigan and Tennessee, and we should stop bringing in Muslims before more of them pop up. Hint for sane people: These “no-go zones” are not happening. All the way up into the last weeks of the Obama administration, Babin was fear-mongering about the refugee resettlement program, claiming it was a “Trojan Horse” to allow terrorists into the country. Once Donald Trump took office and instituted his unconstitutional Muslim ban, it was Rep. Babin who sent out an e-mail to his constituents, with a survey asking if they supported the measure or not, and within it, claimed several Muslim countries as “terrorism hot spots that have not produced a terrorist attacker in Europe or the United States within this century.

Now, as you might expect with his hate of Muslim refugees, and a desire to build a border wall, Brian Babin ended up firmly in the corner of Donald Trump in the fall of 2016. So much so, in fact, that he defended Trump for calling Hillary Clinton a “nasty woman” during one of the presidential debates as she handed Trump his ass. Babin’s logic? “I think sometimes a lady needs to be told when she's being nasty. I do.”
    Last edited by worstblogever; 06-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Now, Texas’ 36th is one of the reddest of red districts in all the country, with a +26 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index, which helped Babin to coast to a third term in office with 72% of the vote. Back in Washington, Brian Babin’s stupidity continues:

• May 2nd, 2018: Brian Babin is one of 18 Republicans who sign on to a letter asking to nominate Donald Trump for a Nobel Prize for meeting with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.
    • January 23rd, 2019: Rep. Babin voted against HR 648, because he was gleeully enjoying the longest government shutdown in history.
    • January 27th, 2019: Brian Babin voted against HJR 30, which was meant to express disapproval of Donald Trump not acting against Russian Federation for attacking our democracy. You see, he’s fine with our nation being sublet to Vladimir Putin.
    • February 28th, 2019: Brian Babin votes against HR 1112, a bill which would have required universal background checks on all firearm purchases, and close the gun show loophole.
    • March 14th, 2019: Rep. Babin votes against HJR 46, which sane members of Congress voted for to reject Donald Trump’s “national emergency” regarding the U.S. border and his attempts to reallocate funds for a border wall without Congressional approval.
    • April 4th, 2019: Brian Babin is one of 158 Republicans who choose to vote against the re-authorization of the Violence Against Women Act, likely because they feel the 2nd Amendment remaining absolute is more important than preventing people with a history of domestic abuse from owning a firearm (which statistics show, makes them more likely to use those firearms against women in their lives).
    • June 4th, 2019: Babin votes against the Dreamers Act, because he’s too xenophobic and partisan to care about immigration reform.

Brian Babin took the news of the GOP’s defeat in the 2018 elections about as well as most Republicans, which is not well. He’s still been hosted by the “alt right” (i.e. white nationalist) Breitbart News for interviews to claim that Democrats want “open borders” and otherwise fearmonger about immigrants in November of 2018, and only weeks into the new session of the House with Democrats in control, tried to block Palestinian-American Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib from leading a delegation to the West Bank, because of reasons that amount to trying to stir up Islamphobia. We will continue to monitor him until someone realizes this man should have been ruled out of being a Congressman even prior to the turn of the millennium.

There was only one new thing Bernie Sanders brought to the table at the debate last night...

A new haircut.

To his credit, he looked nice.

BANNED

The thing is how persuasive do you have to be when your policies are the most popular? Warren is more personable and can sell herself more, true. And since she supports pretty much everything he does, I think that’s better.

However I think he’s pretty much a sure thing in a general against Trump. He doesn’t scare the far right because a lot of them actually agree with him, the Midwest loves him for some reason. He has a problem with more pragmatist Democrats in the South but they don’t help you win a general
    Policies rarely win elections. Trump won and didn't run on a single intelligible policy. I worry being too policy driven (sad as it may be) is a pitfall not an asset. So to answer your question - yes. You are going to have to sway people. Like him or not, Trump did that. Obama did that. Bush did that. People don't want to vote for someone who does nothing but yell the same things at them all the time. If you didn't buy into it the first time he yelled it at you...why would the 10th time?
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 06-28-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Policies rarely when elections. Trump won and didn't run on a single intelligible policy. I worry being too policy driven (sad as it may be) is a pitfall not an asset. So to answer your question - yes. You are going to have to sway people. Like him or not, Trump did that. Obama did that. Bush did that. People don't want to vote for someone who does nothing but yell the same things at them all the time. If you didn't buy into it the first time he yelled it at you...why would the 10th time?
    Wasn’t that what the author (her name eludes me) said last night, that policy ain’t all that? One thing she was right about.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Wasn’t that what the author (her name eludes me) said last night, that policy ain’t all that? One thing she was right about.
    I think she did, I was so in awe of how odd-ball her comments were that I probably didn't listen for substance as much as I should've.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    There was only one new thing Bernie Sanders brought to the table at the debate last night...

A new haircut.

To his credit, he looked nice.
    Warren has taken Bernie’s thunder. He sounds like a broken record, no one pay attention to him nor took him serious in that debate.