Page 27 of 474 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 7108
  1. #391
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    7,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Republicans On Mueller Report: Time To Put On Blinders And Support Trump

    They won’t even acknowledge the report’s damning conclusion that the president may have obstructed justice. "Time to put on blinders"? Hell, Republicans have been doing that since Trump won the nomination three years ago.

    **********

    The Ways William Barr Misled The Public About The Mueller Report

    Instead of just releasing the special counsel’s findings, the U.S. attorney general spun the report to the benefit of President Trump. Just what Droopy Dog Barr was hired to do by Trump.

    **********

    Twitter Users Show Donald Trump Jr. Just How Dumb He Looks In Mueller Report

    One Twitter user told the president’s son: “You were vindicated because they determined you were too stupid to know what’s going on.” The rotten apple didn't fall far from the Trump tree.

    **********

    U.S. Press Freedom Gets Labeled ‘Problematic’ For The First Time

    The 2019 World Press Freedom Index downgraded the U.S. three spots to 48 out of 180 countries in terms of a free press. All thanks to Trump who hates the press for daring to do their job by criticizing him.

    **********

    Judge Rejects Anti-Vaxxer Lawsuit Against New York City’s Vaccine Mandate

    A group of anonymous parents filed the lawsuit on Monday against local health officials over their new mandatory measles vaccination order. To that, I say....GOOD!
    It's not necessarily the job of the press to criticize the President. It is the job of the press to dig for the facts. If the facts show that the President did something wrong, then it becomes the job of the press to criticize the President. It just so happens in Trump's case that he's done quite a bit of wrong stuff.

  2. #392
    What fresh hell is this? ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    My second favorite part of the redacted Mueller Report are the sections with 3 character overages being dropped to the next line when mentioning names in alphabetical order, being blacked out.

    Because that is not obviously Donald Trump, Jr.

    I'd bet the other redacted name is Jared Kushner. The names would then be listed in alphabetical order according to the first letter of the last name.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  3. #393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    And it's not "your place" to tell me to tell others what to do, either.

    And Obama did not "share his birth certificate" until people like Trump and other Republicans -- whom you echo -- kept making false accusations based on "inferences' and "suspicions" and overt racism and Islamophobia: again, you (like most Republicans) "echo" Trump in both your arguments and the misleading methodology of your "reasoning".

    Regardless, all you seem to want to do is here dodge facts and attack "Democrats" (via "open borders" foolishness) without discussing the failings of your own party -- it's a transparent "framing" technique Mets, which is why nearly everyone is calling you out for it.

    Like I've said before, let me know when your party stops trying to attack and minimize the rights of "minorities" -- until then, I can only "infer" that you both gladly and willingly support a party that is doing it's best to keep people like myself from being treated as equals in our society, something you refuse to address directly because you are too busy trying to defend a political party that thinks separating the families of "brown people" is a reasonable way to deal with people legally seeking asylum in our country.

    ------
    "Trump Blocks US From Appointing Anyone to UN Committee on Racism"

    "A State Department official told Politico that the White House intervened to stop the expected renomination of a human rights lawyer selected by Barack Obama to the 18-member UN panel. As a result, the U.S. will not nominate anyone to the committee. Gay McDougall, who has served on the committee since 2015, was informed by State Department officials that she would be renominated before the White House abruptly scrapped the plan without providing an explanation, according to the report.

    "McDougall, a human rights expert, told the outlet she intended to finish out her four-year term, which ends this fall.

    “I regret that I’m not able to continue, and that was not of my choosing,” she said.

    McDougall previously criticized Trump for emboldening racists in the United States around the world.

    “Essentially, Trump’s many tweets and dismissive comments have given a green light to bigots around the country to attack their neighbors,” she said in 2016. “All of us who campaign for human rights have been shocked and angered by Trump’s derogatory messages regarding Muslims, Hispanics, women and people with disabilities. It is clear that his rhetoric has led directly to an increase in hate crimes in the US.

    Now is the time for all those who believe in human rights to stand firm and fight for basic decency.”

    The pullback from the international stage, particularly as a bulwark on issues of racism and human rights, comes after experts like McDougall warned that Trump’s rise would fuel similar movements that foment hate to gain power, as seen subsequently in countries like Israel, Italy, Spain and Brazil.

    “Unscrupulous politicians worldwide will be studying Trump’s tactics and will see that scapegoating of the marginalized can provide short-term electoral gains,” McDougall warned in 2016.. “There is a clear and imminent risk towards minorities if governments do not take a stand against hate.”

    https://truthout.org/articles/trump-...tee-on-racism/
    Generally, the arguments between us aren't about facts but about conclusions.

    I'll often go narrower, focusing on the specific facts, whereas you often go broader, focusing on the big picture, and skipping the details of a situation being discussed.

    With the immigration argument, I'd be wrong on facts if I said anything untrue. I could be disproven if Keith Ellison's T-shirt didn't feature the phrase I said it did (or if there was another explanation), if he was publicly rebuked by the party, if he had not received the unanimous vote of the members of the Democratic National Committee to be its Vice Chair, if prominent Democrats expressed clear limiting principles on legal immigration, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Uh, No. Jeez...

    Since Mets posted this exact same nonsense, I'll just quote that sequence and then wrap up.





    In summary...

    Some fool being so deluded that they are not "Ruling Out" a future run does not constitute a "Rumor Of His Comeback..."

    It is just some fool trippin' out loud. Not a rumor.
    I think you 're being overly pedantic here, taking a narrow interpretation of a claim that there was speculation that a politician was planning a comeback after charges were dropped as being an endorsement of the comeback, or a considered analysis that it might be successful.

    The recent photos have probably complicated things for him but in a world where Trump is President, and Bob Menendez kept his job despite a federal investigation, it's also difficult to say for sure that some kind of comeback would have been impossible for a person who did have talents as a politician.

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I never said there was, only that we know "why" many Sanders's supporters "believed" the bots and that many of them still continue to attack the Democratic party, despite knowing that it does nothing to help the party as a whole.

    And every time you bring up -- and continue to attack -- "Clinton" you only further prove my point.
    There are two separate issues here. It's clearly a problem that should be corrected if Sanders supporters believe things that are untrue.

    But if they say things that are true but unhelpful to the Democratic party, that's not a problem.

  4. #394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'd bet the other redacted name is Jared Kushner. The names would then be listed in alphabetical order according to the first letter of the last name.
    Methinks ChadH has cracked the code.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  5. #395
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Generally, the arguments between us aren't about facts but about conclusions.

    I'll often go narrower, focusing on the specific facts, whereas you often go broader, focusing on the big picture, and skipping the details of a situation being discussed.

    With the immigration argument, I'd be wrong on facts if I said anything untrue. I could be disproven if Keith Ellison's T-shirt didn't feature the phrase I said it did (or if there was another explanation), if he was publicly rebuked by the party, if he had not received the unanimous vote of the members of the Democratic National Committee to be its Vice Chair, if prominent Democrats expressed clear limiting principles on legal immigration, etc.
    That's because it's your goal in the argument to "frame" things on your own terms -- like claiming that "inferred open borders based on a t-shirt" are more problematic and indicative of general party policy than separating "brown" families at the border (under the leadership of a lying, corrupt, racist, Islamophobic, homophobic, fiscally irresponsible Republican president) for legally seeking asylum in America.

    It's a ridiculous way to "debate" an issue, Mets and I'm not going to waste my time doing so, especially when you won't even admit that your argument is misleading at best and racist fearmongering at worst.

    Which -- as I continue to point out -- is par for course for your party.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-19-2019 at 01:14 PM.

  6. #396
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Trump, his administration, his supporters and the Kremlin are the only ones that see the Mueller report in a positive light. The rest of the world sees how damning it is for this administration.

  7. #397
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are two separate issues here. It's clearly a problem that should be corrected if Sanders supporters believe things that are untrue.

    But if they say things that are true but unhelpful to the Democratic party, that's not a problem.
    Of course, it's not a problem to you -- the divisiveness helps your party win the election.

    Realistically speaking, if you were that concerned about honesty in politics, you wouldn't be a Republican.

    In fact, you seem to be more concerned about a t-shirt than the recent confirmation that Russians interfered with our elections on behalf of your party.

    When I say that you echo Trump, it's not an exaggeration.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.

  8. #398
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    So apparently the ACLU is gearing up for war with armed vigilante groups patrolling the border for migrants, after they *checks notes* kidnapped hundreds of people and held them unlawfully at gunpoint and uploaded the videos to the internet.

    Classy.

  9. #399
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    So apparently the ACLU is gearing up for war with armed vigilante groups patrolling the border for migrants, after they *checks notes* kidnapped hundreds of people and held them unlawfully at gunpoint and uploaded the videos to the internet.

    Classy.
    The ACLU? Where's the FBI?!

  10. #400
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The ACLU? Where's the FBI?!
    I second this notion. Is this even true? Because ...

    UGH!

    I don't want to know but need to now ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #401
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I second this notion. Is this even true? Because ...

    UGH!

    I don't want to know but need to now ...
    I read it on their Twitter, but did a Google and found an actual news link.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/us/bo...nts/index.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-...mexico-border/
    https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/na...1-7fc485b646e7
    Last edited by JCAll; 04-19-2019 at 04:27 PM.

  12. #402
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I looked it up shortly after posting.

    Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #403
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,688

    Default

    So...

    If it looks like the report runs counter to that Buzzfeed claim from a while back, what in the heck were the documents that one of their journalists claimed to have seen?

    Surely the investigation could not have just missed something like that?

    Edit:

    Huh. Seems like said sources thought that it might have been the case. Now, Buzzfeed are saying that their boss did not. Seems like they also put in a pair of FOIA requests.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-19-2019 at 05:30 PM.

  14. #404
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    So apparently the ACLU is gearing up for war with armed vigilante groups patrolling the border for migrants, after they *checks notes* kidnapped hundreds of people and held them unlawfully at gunpoint and uploaded the videos to the internet.

    Classy.

    "The pernicious myth of “open borders”: Trump is obsessed with a wild mischaracterization of the status quo that fuels extremism."

    Donald Trump’s White House is obsessed with “open borders,” a pie-in-the-sky utopian vision of a world of unlimited free movement in which to move from Haiti or Havana to Houston would be about as easy as moving from San Antonio to San Francisco.

    This idea, while fun to think about and, in my view, at least somewhat attractive as a kind of aspirational future vision of the world, obviously does not have any mainstream adherents in practical American politics. But the Trump administration suggests that the open borders lobby is, in fact, massive and powerful and that essentially all critics of its approach to immigration policy are open borders fanatics. Trump himself is a little less into the jargon but similarly paints a portrait of an extremely stark choice.

    “We’ve got to have borders,” is a staple of his campaign rhetoric, because “if you don’t have borders, you don’t have a country.”

    And this notion that the alternative to an immigration crackdown is some notion of borderlessness isn’t limited to Trump himself. David Frum, both a leading immigration hawk and a leading Trump critic, wrote earlier this week to exhort fellow Trump opponents to be meaner to Central American asylum seekers, arguing that “like so many human institutions, borders are both arbitrary and indispensable. Without them, there are no nations. Without nations, there can be no democracy and no liberalism.”

    This is all, in truth, total nonsense. The United States of America as it exists today is, in fact, a country, and it has borders. Our borders are not currently open, nor were they open under George W. Bush. It is not the case that open borders is the only alternative to Trump’s immigration crackdown, nor is it remotely true that harsher immigration laws are required to avoid a situation of borderlessness.

    The fact that this kind of rhetoric has become normalized, including in elite circles, is itself a kind of insanity... The true purpose of “open borders” rhetoric is to try to exempt the topic of border security and immigration enforcement from the normal political process in which we consider the trade-offs and choices involved: if even a single opportunity for a person to break immigration law and get away with it is reframed as an existential threat to the existence of the nation, then suddenly all kinds of things — from a multibillion-dollar border wall to mass incarceration of children — suddenly seem reasonable.

    But none of it is true."

    https://www.vox.com/2018/6/22/174882...n-borders-myth
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-19-2019 at 05:53 PM.

  15. #405
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,792

    Default

    Just another reason why the Dems need to get the Senate back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •