Page 281 of 483 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 7234
  1. #4201
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    20,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    By the by... we just hit the fifth anniversary of CSGOPOTD. There's enough in the queue to easily assure there will be a sixth next year.
    Congrats WBE.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  2. #4202
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,696

    Default

    While this one certainly isn't the most important news article of the week, it did wind up being pretty interesting as a curiosity...

    - https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/07...w-parking-lot/

    Mysterious Safe Unearthed In Parking Lot Of Lakeview Synagogue

  3. #4203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Congrats WBE.
    It's a depressing milestone. It never should have gone on this long, y'know? All I needed back in 2014 was for the Republican Party to look at itself and how it was acting during the 2013 Government Shutdown, and look at people like Gohmert, Steve King, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Allen West, and Herman Cain and go...

    We should be better than that.

    They've somehow found even worse people. Like... they're running actual Nazis and white supremacists on the ballot. In some races, unchallenged by any other Republican. They're rallying around people like Roy Moore, and have a fanatical level of support for Donald Trump, including having Evangelicals praise him as an agent sent to do the Lord's divine work on Earth.

    Like... stop. Look at yourselves. At what point do you realize you're not fit to govern?

    Instead, the only legislative goal they seem to have is to try to destabilize our very democracy by changing the voting laws, changing the legislative districts, changing the census, and revamping the judiciary to cling to power... which they will use to keep 99.9% of the country working themselves to death, and hoping at no point, does a revolution come to pass from a populace that realizes their government no longer represents them.

    This is all incredibly sobering, really. And I'm only a month away from having to cover 365 days of the Trump's dementia for his profile update.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  4. #4204
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's a depressing milestone. It never should have gone on this long, y'know? All I needed back in 2014 was for the Republican Party to look at itself and how it was acting during the 2013 Government Shutdown, and look at people like Gohmert, Steve King, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Allen West, and Herman Cain and go...

    We should be better than that.

    They've somehow found even worse people. Like... they're running actual Nazis and white supremacists on the ballot. In some races, unchallenged by any other Republican. They're rallying around people like Roy Moore, and have a fanatical level of support for Donald Trump, including having Evangelicals praise him as an agent sent to do the Lord's divine work on Earth.

    Like... stop. Look at yourselves. At what point do you realize you're not fit to govern?

    Instead, the only legislative goal they seem to have is to try to destabilize our very democracy by changing the voting laws, changing the legislative districts, changing the census, and revamping the judiciary to cling to power... which they will use to keep 99.9% of the country working themselves to death, and hoping at no point, does a revolution come to pass from a populace that realizes their government no longer represents them.

    This is all incredibly sobering, really. And I'm only a month away from having to cover 365 days of the Trump's dementia for his profile update.
    You might want to let him know...

    - https://www.al.com/politics/2019/07/...ship-fund.html

    Moore, in a statement to AL.com, said he blames McConnell and the Leadership Fund for not assisting him ahead of the 2017 general election, which he lost by a razor-thin 20,715 votes, or less than 1 percentage point.

    “I hope that Mitch McConnell and his establishment Republicans will not turn on fellow Republicans and hand another election to pro-abortion Doug Jones as they did in 2017,” Moore said. “Even if they do, I believe voters will refuse to be fooled by them again, and will overwhelmingly elect the candidate who will best defend our conservative values in Washington.”

  5. #4205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You might want to let him know...

    - https://www.al.com/politics/2019/07/...ship-fund.html
    I know the sitting president f***ing endorsed that lunatic pedophile.

    So don't try being a pedophile enabler-enabler up in here, please. They don't deserve your effort.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  6. #4206
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Hello...new here. Just getting back into comics and was looking for a good forum for discussions. Stumbled onto this thread.

    So, is it accurate to say this forum is majority left-leaning, then with little-to-no conservative voices out there?

    Just curious.

  7. #4207
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    20,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Hello...new here. Just getting back into comics and was looking for a good forum for discussions. Stumbled onto this thread.

    So, is it accurate to say this forum is majority left-leaning, then with little-to-no conservative voices out there?

    Just curious.
    Personally, I think it simply reflects, in a small sample way, the views of most people. The political opinions here are pretty varied on a number of issues. It's just that, there are some issues that most tend to be on the same side of.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.
    DBM: Meagan/Cyanna/Dash/Mirror Mage

  8. #4208
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    By the by... we just hit the fifth anniversary of CSGOPOTD. There's enough in the queue to easily assure there will be a sixth next year.
    And a seventh, and an eighth I suspect. You've got your work cut out for you, WBE!

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    They're also not getting any less deranged. The failure of the Republican Party to curtail Donald Trump is making the conservative movement embrace White Nationalism more and more all the time, to the extent that we've got folks defending locking toddlers in cages and excusing sexual predators behavior almost as if it's the brand now.
    This is just my opinion, but I never thought the Republicans had ANY interest or desire to rein in Trump as his support of white nationalist shitstains meant more voters to support the party. As for the GOP being the so-called "Party of Values", that train left the station a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago. They clearly don't give a fuck that they're now seen as scumbags, they're all about the power and aren't about to let go of same.

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Speaking of, Fox News hasn't suspended Tucker Carlson for racist attacks on Rep. Omar yet, and Sean Hannity (who we've seen has helped spin coverage for people operating as foreign agents) is calling for Bill O'Reilly to be brought back to Fox News. Laura Ingraham, only days after defending baby jails and being called a white supremacist by Joaquin Castro for it (justly), was on Fox News to defend Donald Trump for calling the Neo-Nazis at Charlottesville "very fine people" the other night.

    These are the people Republican voters listen to, and who the president listens to. And they're exacerbating the problem that CSGOPOTD covers on a daily basis.
    Hell, instead of being suspended, Fucker Carlson will probably get a raise, ditto for Sean Hamhocks and Laura Ignoramus. By the by, speaking of Faux News, has anyone seen the Showtime mini-series "The Loudest Voice", starring a ridiculously bloated Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #4209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hell, instead of being suspended, Fucker Carlson will probably get a raise, ditto for Sean Hamhocks and Laura Ignoramus. By the by, speaking of Faux News, has anyone seen the Showtime mini-series "The Loudest Voice", starring a ridiculously bloated Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes?
    Not as of yet. I get HBO, which reminds me, I need to watch that docu-drama they made about Brexit with Benedict Cumberbatch as Dominic Cummings.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  10. #4210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Hello...new here. Just getting back into comics and was looking for a good forum for discussions. Stumbled onto this thread.

    So, is it accurate to say this forum is majority left-leaning, then with little-to-no conservative voices out there?
    It seems often enough the conservative voices end up having to defend the views of screaming racists, bigots, xenophobes, and white nationalists often enough that they often say things as bad as, or worse than the politicians they're echoing, and earn a forum ban for violating civility standards of CBR.

    Go figure, this forum has better standards than the Republican Party for conduct.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  11. #4211
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It seems often enough the conservative voices end up having to defend the views of screaming racists, bigots, xenophobes, and white nationalists often enough that they often say things as bad as, or worse than the politicians they're echoing, and earn a forum ban for violating civility standards of CBR.

    Go figure, this forum has better standards than the Republican Party for conduct.

    Either that, they try to defend an imaginary Republican Party that doesn't echo and completely back Donald Trump. Most probably found it a thankless task.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  12. #4212
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It seems often enough the conservative voices end up having to defend the views of screaming racists, bigots, xenophobes, and white nationalists often enough that they often say things as bad as, or worse than the politicians they're echoing, and earn a forum ban for violating civility standards of CBR.

    Go figure, this forum has better standards than the Republican Party for conduct.
    Well, I find that strange, since in this thread alone (and others scattered around as I have read) various insults demonizing conservatives and republicans on the whole, as though just by associating with either of those entities, you must be an evil bigot...and all the rest of those lumping adjectives you listed.

  13. #4213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Well, I find that strange, since in this thread alone (and others scattered around as I have read) various insults demonizing conservatives and republicans on the whole, as though just by associating with either of those entities, you must be an evil bigot...and all the rest of those lumping adjectives you listed.
    Ah, we're going to jump right to the "you're the bigot for calling out racists" conservative meme, eh?

    That's nice.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  14. #4214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    On the DHS... I was watching an old Lewis Black comedy special yesterday, and he made mention of Tom Ridge, the first DHS director creating a color system for terror threat warnings that was useless because every time they changed the threat level, they wouldn't just say a color, they had to explain what that color means in detail. Which defeats the entire purpose of having a color system to designate threat level, just explain what the threat level is and leave the rainbow out of it. He then reminded the audience that this entire department's "intelligence" could do things like send Ridge to a podium to warn people of the risk of a chemical weapons attack (that never came), and told them that the best ways to protect themselves were duct tape and water.



    Seriously, when folks like Ron Paul grouse about government bureaucracy and agencies they want to do away with, they always talk about the Department of Education (which is super important for shaping our future), but they never seem to think that maybe the DHS is redundant with an NSA already in existence.
    A quick google search shows that Ron Paul wrote against the Department of Homeland Security when it was created, promised in a 2007 presidential debate he would abolish the DHS, and wrote or ghost-wrote a column in 2015 suggesting it's pointless.

    https://www.antiwar.com/paul/paul56.html

    The administration and Congress put the finishing touches on the monstrous Homeland Security bill last week, creating the first new federal department since the Department of Defense at the end of World War II. Laughably, the new department has been characterized as merely a "reorganization" of existing agencies, even though I notice no department was abolished to make up for it! One thing we can be sure of in this world is that federal agencies grow. The Homeland Security department, like all federal agencies, will increase in size exponentially over the coming decades. Its budget, number of employees, and the scope of its mission will EXPAND. Congress has no idea what it will have created twenty or fifty years hence, when less popular presidents have the full power of a domestic spying agency at their disposal.

    The frightening details of the Homeland Security bill, which authorizes an unprecedented level of warrantless spying on American citizens, are still emerging. Those who still care about the Bill of Rights, particularly the 4th amendment, have every reason to be alarmed. But the process by which Congress created the bill is every bit as reprehensible as its contents.

    Ironically, many in Congress who usually champion limited government were enthusiastic supporters of the largest federal expansion in 50 years. Twenty years ago President Reagan revitalized conservatives across the country by appealing to their Goldwater roots, promising to slash the size of government and eliminate whole departments. Yet the promise of a smaller government went unfulfilled, and today Congress passes budgets even larger that those of the Clinton years.

    Of course the Homeland Security bill did receive some opposition from the President's critics. Yet did they attack the legislation because it threatens to debase the 4th amendment and create an Orwellian surveillance society? Did they attack it because it will chill political dissent or expand the drug war? No, they attacked it on the grounds that it failed to secure enough high-paying federal union jobs, thus angering one of Washington's most powerful special interest groups. Ultimately, however, even the most prominent critics voted for the bill.

    The lesson learned from the rush to create a Homeland Security department is that the size and scope of government grows regardless of which party is in power. The federal government now devours a whopping 40% of the nation's GDP, the highest level since World War II – and a massive new department can only make things worse. The Homeland Security bill provides a vivid example of the uncontrolled spending culture in Washington, a culture that views the true source of political power – your tax dollars – as unlimited.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/u...cs/06text.html

    MR. WALLACE: Congressman Paul, your answer is to cut both taxes and spending. You say that you would eliminate the IRS, the CIA, the Federal Reserve, the Department of Homeland Security, Medicare. (Cheers, applause.)

    MR. : (Laughs.)

    MR. WALLACE: I know that you used to want to end the FBI. I’m not sure whether you still support that idea, sir.

    MR. : No.

    MR. WALLACE: Perhaps you can tell us. But if you get rid of the CIA, let alone the FBI, how would President Paul have any idea, any intelligence of what our enemies, foreign and domestic, are up to?

    MR. WALLACE: Perhaps you can tell us. But if you get rid of the CIA, let alone the FBI, how would President Paul have any idea, any intelligence of what our enemies, foreign and domestic, are up to?

    REP. PAUL: Well, you might ask a better question. Before 9/11, we were spending $40 billion a year, and the FBI was producing numerous information about people being trained on airplanes to fly on but not land in, and they totally ignored them. So it’s the inefficiency of the bureaucracy that is the problem. So increasing this with the Department of Homeland Security is spending more money, doesn’t solve the problem. Yes, we have every right in the world to know something about intelligence gathering, but we have to have intelligent people interpreting this information. (Cheers, applause.)

    But, you know, just going for increasing presidential powers, as has been discussed, is rather disturbing to me. This whole idea that we’re supposed to sacrifice liberty for security -- we were advised against that. Don’t we remember that when you sacrifice liberty for security, you lose both? That’s what’s happening in this country today. (Cheers, applause.) We have a national ID card on our doorstep. It’s being implemented right now. We have FISA courts, we have warrantless searches, we’ve lost habeas corpus, we’ve had secret prisons around the world, and we have torture going on. (Bell.) That’s un-American, and we need to use the power of the presidency to get it back in order in order to take care of us and protect this country and our liberties.
    http://www.campaignforliberty.org/cl...-security-good (It should be noted that the headline is "Department of Homeland Security: What is it good for?"

  15. #4215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am Amereecan votar. I live in big Amereecan city. I vote for Mr. Obama and Clinton woman, but now see our President Trump is strong leader. He no colludes and has no sex with the children.

    signed,
    good Democratic comrade.
    The implication that anyone making up stuff in a forum would have to be Russian may be off. It is possible to be an American troll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Primary polls do show him well behind frontrunner Lieutenant Governor Tate Reeves, as well as state supreme court justice Robert Foster, so he's most likely to stay a state representative.

    https://www.yallpolitics.com/2019/06...ction-ballots/

    Interestingly, this may be a race where Democrats are competitive, since their likely candidate is state attorney general Jim Hood, who had been elected to four terms in the office.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
    Hello...new here. Just getting back into comics and was looking for a good forum for discussions. Stumbled onto this thread.

    So, is it accurate to say this forum is majority left-leaning, then with little-to-no conservative voices out there?

    Just curious.
    The regulars are largely liberal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Personally, I think it simply reflects, in a small sample way, the views of most people. The political opinions here are pretty varied on a number of issues. It's just that, there are some issues that most tend to be on the same side of.
    If this were representative, 40 percent of posts by Americans would by by people who support Trump which isn't the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Laughing my ass off at white knighting for Andrew 'Pay You 1,000 Dollars A Month For Existing' Yang while accusing the other candidates of unrealistic promises.
    I don't wish to cast aspersions on any specific poster here, but I wonder what the best strategy would be to pretend to be left-leaning and mess with a comments section.

    Backing Yang or Gabbard would be too obvious for me since they've got some support on the right, and are willing to engage with right-wing media.

    It would make sense to claim to back Pete Buttigieg, since his chances of winning are rather low, and he's criticized for how he handles racial issues, which raises some hot-button questions.

    Otherwise, one could claim to back Sanders and pose as an obnoxious Bernie bro.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •