Page 417 of 667 FirstFirst ... 317367407413414415416417418419420421427467517 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 10005

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If it does collapse, can we call it the Trump Bubble?
    Meh, depends on what the consensus is.

I find Trump somewhat amusing but hey I live in Canada part-time (I hold dual citizenship and split my days between a border state and a border province) so I'm one step removed from the subject matter.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Meh, depends on what the consensus is.

I find Trump somewhat amusing but hey I live in Canada part-time (I hold dual citizenship and split my days between a border state and a border province) so I'm one step removed from the subject matter.
    If things get really bad, you are poised to make a run for it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I honestly don't think the Market will collapse like it did in 2008 (Housing Bubble) or 2000 (Tech Bubble). The environment is different there is no speculation craze that has been driving growth, but we'll see.
    There's a US imposed trade war. And housing and their materials are the hardest hit sector.

The only difference from 2007 is that there is a stupid, nonsensical trade war going on.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There's a US imposed trade war. And housing and their materials are the hardest hit sector.

The only difference from 2007 is that there is a stupid, nonsensical trade war going on.
    I think those who lost everything including their homes in 2008 (or so) would think that was "stupid" as well.

I think those who lost everything including their homes in 2008 (or so) would think that was "stupid" as well.
    I think you missed the point: in addition to a housing bubble, there's a stupid trade war.

So whenever this next one hits, it's going to be worse.

Imagine 2007 with the housing market getting shredded in drops AND that W decided he was going to screw over all the US allies over non-existent trade disputes.

Then 2008 hits ... Lehman Brothers collapses.

It would've been catastrophic. Not just bad.

We also have SEVERAL more companies that look like Lehman Brothers right now.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I think you missed the point: in addition to a housing bubble, there's a stupid trade war.

Imagine 2007 with the housing market getting shredded in drops AND that W decided he was going to screw over all the US allies over non-existent trade disputes.

I don't think the economy will collapse. Frankly, it is wishful thinking on the part of those who want Trump out of office. He has to be beaten at the ballot box, not by bad economic news.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-06-2019 at 10:26 AM.

With the trade war, there is also a President willing to push stuff that gives him a temporary boost in November 2020.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't think the economy will collapse. Frankly, it is wishful thinking on the part of those who wanted Trump out of office. He has to be beaten at the ballot box, not by bad economic news.
    Surely that’s right.

What’s latest odds on him winning a second term? I suppose it’s possible he could win...but Jeez..surely it’s got to point where any reasonable democratic candidate would be heavy favourite to beat him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    With the trade war, there is also a President willing to push stuff that gives him a temporary boost in November 2020.
    That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Surely that’s right.

What’s latest odds on him winning a second term? I suppose it’s possible he could win...but Jeez..surely it’s got to point where any reasonable democratic candidate would be heavy favourite to beat him?
    I wouldn't underestimate Trump again if I was Biden for example. Like an unstable virus, he has an uncanny ability to adapt in such a way that he survives when he shouldn't.

Wow. That's a gorgeous portrait.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I don't think the economy will collapse. Frankly, it is wishful thinking on the part of those who want Trump out of office. He has to be beaten at the ballot box, not by bad economic news.
    It's already happening with ZERO protective measures being put in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Bush did that and it helped Obama.

I expect Trump to focus on gas prices and do something about that closer to election day.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can't argue that. Trump's brain dead followers won't care that the economy is going down the toilet, or even understand the implications of another recession like 2008, none of that will stop them from voting for him again. After all, these are the very same gaggle of idiots who were perfectly fine with the GOP killing Obamacare as long as they had the Affordable Care Act to fall back on. No, really. Stupidity like that knows no bounds, and it always votes Republican.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

"A GOP lawmaker from Nebraska accused his party of 'white supremacy.' They told him to leave"

"The Nebraska Republican Party asked a lawmaker to leave the party on Monday after he accused the party of "enabling white supremacy."

State Sen. John McCollister, who has represented part of Omaha since 2014, criticized his party in a series of tweets on Sunday, saying that the GOP had become "complicit to obvious racist and immoral activity inside our party."

Following two mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, that left 31 people dead, McCollister wrote on Twitter, "The Republican Party is enabling white supremacy in our country. As a lifelong Republican, it pains me to say this, but it’s the truth."

McCollister continued his rant, taking aim at President Donald Trump.

"We have a Republican president who continually stokes racist fears in his base," McCollister explained. "He calls certain countries “sh*tholes,' tells women of color to 'go back' to where they came from and lies more than he tells the truth."

"When the history books are written," he said. "I refuse to be someone who said nothing."

The El Paso shooter published a "manifesto" filled with racist and anti-immigrant rhetoric before his rampage, and authorities said they would be investigating the killings as a hate crime.

By Monday, the state Republican Party responded to McCollister.

In a press release, party Chairman Ryan Hamilton said McCollister had "finally shed all pretense of being a conservative."

"I am happy to send a change of voter registration form along to his office so he can make the switch officially and start, for once, telling the truth to voters in his district," said Hamilton.

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-lawmaker-...165035342.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-06-2019 at 11:47 AM.