Page 432 of 667 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 10005
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    From their point of view?

Sure.

It's the move where they can say "We Listened To Concerns..." while not messing with their ability to make a buck.

Look at everything else the company does. It doesn't exactly say "Morality Is Job #1..."
    Of course not. People have bitched about Walmart for decades for treating their employees like crap, for forcing local businesses to close down due to unfavorable business tactics, for being toxic to the environment, for relying on cheap goods often gotten from slave or sweatshop labor... the list goes on and on. Walmart makes truckload after truckload of money not because they're nice people, even though they've presented the façade of having a smiley face as an unofficial mascot for about two decades and still employee greeters; they make their money through cutthroat tactics, knowing the average consumer cares more for saving money than ethics at the end of the day.

The issue, ultimately, is that it once again presents the argument that "Vidya Games cause these shooters, not White Nationalism", which is what plagued the industry in the 1990s, which services as a divergence tactic where people defending video games have to waste their breath defending video games until people get tired and move on, so the issue of gun control and legislation will be forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Of course not. People have bitched about Walmart for decades for treating their employees like crap, for forcing local businesses to close down due to unfavorable business tactics, for being toxic to the environment, for relying on cheap goods often gotten from slave or sweatshop labor... the list goes on and on. Walmart makes truckload after truckload of money not because they're nice people, even though they've presented the façade of having a smiley face as an unofficial mascot for about two decades and still employee greeters; they make their money through cutthroat tactics, knowing the average consumer cares more for saving money than ethics at the end of the day.

The issue, ultimately, is that it once again presents the argument that "Vidya Games cause these shooters, not White Nationalism", which is what plagued the industry in the 1990s, which services as a divergence tactic where people defending video games have to waste their breath defending video games until people get tired and move on, so the issue of gun control and legislation will be forgotten about.
    See, I'd disagree with the assertion that this move seriously does that.

It's just the move that they can frame as "Addressing This Issue..." without really messing with it's ability to make money.

It kind of looks a little like presenting that argument without actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    My wife and I are Buttegeig fans. I saw him speak here back in July and was genuinely impressed with his calmly confident demeanor and thoughtful answers to peoples questions. I just wish he had more experience at the federal level. If he doesn't get the nom I'd really like to see him as someones VP pick.
    I think Warren can draw if she's not stuck with the rest of the pack. She's a true believer and it's palpable when she has a stage to herself and the freedom to share her opinions and ideas.
    This is something I've wondered about Buttigieg as a VP pick. Who would he be a good match for? Would Democrats be comfortable with a ticket with two white guys, or with two people who have husbands?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is something I've wondered about Buttigieg as a VP pick. Who would he be a good match for? Would Democrats be comfortable with a ticket with two white guys, or with two people who have husbands?
    Yes. None of those are deal-breakers.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

No, it's a well known fact that Democrats hate white people and marriage.

Yes. None of those are deal-breakers.
    If that even makes the top five problems Democrats have going into the next general, they are in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I don't think they hate either, but with their emphasis on the need for diversity, I'm not sure they want two white men on the ticket, and it might also be a little odd for someone seeking to be the first female President to have a gay running mate. Granted, Buttigieg's record of military service can appeal to voters who might be otherwise hesitant about voting for a gay candidate.

Here, I'm trying to consider what Democratic operatives think will work best in a general election context.

If that even makes the top five problems Democrats have going into the next general, they are in great shape.
    I suspect they'll go with someone else.

The party has a decent bench, but they'll likely pick people who fit some kind of need for a candidate. Biden will probably pick someone who isn't a white guy who can be presented as a next generation leader. Because Warren's appeal is largely among feminists and educated white liberals, I suspect she would go with an African-American or Hispanic male running mate. I'm guessing Harris would go with a white guy from a red state.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

See, I'd disagree with the assertion that this move seriously does that.

It's just the move that they can frame as "Addressing This Issue..." without really messing with it's ability to make money.

It kind of looks a little like presenting that argument without actually doing it.
    And I would disagree there. While you believe they're able to frame it as tackling the problem without actually doing something about it, thus presenting them as approaching the situation as passive at best, I look at it as Machiavellian to a degree. Also, from a profit standpoint, the average firearm (Walmart's online store will only sell those wimpy BB guns, but you can go to any physical store and get an authentic hunting rifle) retails between $150 and $300 at Walmart, while a brand new video game will cost $60 on average with season passes and additional content being sold separately via download code between $20 and $40. From a monetary standpoint, Walmart would rather sacrifice the video game sales than the firearm sales.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 08-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.

For a Republican, absolutely. But for a Democrat, unless one of them happens to be "out there" like Williamson or just a douche that right wing basement dwellers are jumping on like Yang (those are honestly the only two candidates I consider truly unsalvageable in this campaign, with Yang being the man I'm rooting especially to crash and burn), I fail to see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The DSA has been spiraling for a while. Most of the founders have left the group over some of the new issues being put in their platform. (Support of BDS was the breaking point for most of the people who left, but yeah, that probably is real.)
    Thanks for the information, Tuck.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm ok with him talking himself out of the nomination.
    As am I but I doubt he will. Frankly, I can't help but wonder if Biden is going senile. I'm not trying to be funny I'm worried about his mental state.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    And guns, don't forget guns oh and god.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    For a Republican, absolutely. But for a Democrat, unless one of them happens to be "out there" like Williamson or just a douche that right wing basement dwellers are jumping on like Yang (those are honestly the only two candidates I consider truly unsalvageable in this campaign, with Yang being the man I'm rooting especially to crash and burn), I fail to see the issue.
    So you think Tulsi Gabbard is still a viable candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Maybe he just forgot about her. I know I almost did.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I did like her takedown of Kamala Harris it was entertaining. But yeah, I doubt she is viable.