Page 461 of 667 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,915 of 10005

Trump wants to focus on the ‘real threat’ to elections: Not Russia, but imaginary voter fraud

At about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, I went to the website of the California secretary of state and downloaded data on voter registration in each county in that state as of February. Then I went to the Census Bureau website and pulled counts for the total population and the number of adult citizens residing in each. I calculated the percentage of registered voters as a function of those two populations, opened a graphic design program and made the chart you see below.

I was done by about 8:50.
    n the abstract, the chart probably isn’t particularly eye-opening. In each county in California, the number of voters is a subset of the adult citizen population, which is itself a subset of the total population. Okay. Fine.

The reason I created that graph, though, was because of this April tweet, thrown out into the social-media miasma by the ever-enthusiastic conservative activist Charlie Kirk.
    As you can see from my chart, none of the numbers offered by Kirk is accurate. In fact, the chart I made is likely inaccurate only in overestimating the density of registered voters, since I’m comparing 2019 registration data with 2017 and 2018 population data. The reason California is solid blue is — get this — because there are 8.6 million registered Democrats and 4.7 million registered Republicans.
    Given that earlier in the day he had defended accusing a former president of complicity in a death by waving it away as merely a retweet, we should probably not be too surprised that he didn’t put in time to figure out if the often-wrong Kirk had missed the mark before pushing the ol’ retweet button.

By sharing Kirk’s nonsense, Trump was trying to bolster the case for this tweet that he sent immediately prior.

The president has been hammering away at the need for voters to present identification before voting since before he was elected. During the 2016 campaign, he warned that certain areas of Pennsylvania (a reference to heavily black areas of Philadelphia where Mitt Romney did particularly poorly in 2012) were hotbeds of fraud and that his supporters would need to watch the polls closely.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Last time he did that, the commission found that his own family and party committed the most fraud, so he shut it down.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Highest housing debt, higher than 2008.

Bond market flashed higher than 2008. The benchmark T-note broke below the 2 year rate, worse than 2008.

Citigroup down 6%. Bank of America, 4.3%, J.P. Morgan ... 3.5%. The banks are in free fall today.

And all the other things I've been talking about the last few weeks are happening today.

The equity market is on borrowed time after the yield curve inverts, which means we're 6-18ish months away from a recession.

Welcome to the Trump Recession.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hardly surprising that Trump returned to the embrace of an old and comfortable bogeyman. This whole episode demonstrates to me that Trump is STILL pissed that he lost the popular vote three years ago, so he's back to his familiar whine of voter fraud, even though there's been ZERO basis of truth to his ridiculous claims, but, he'll keep at it anyway.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

- 720 ...
    - 750 ...
    - 741 ...
    - 811 ... !
    - 747 ...

It's just getting worse ...

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hardly surprising that Trump returned to the embrace of an old and comfortable bogeyman. This whole episode demonstrates to me that Trump is STILL pissed that he lost the popular vote three years ago, so he's back to his familiar whine of voter fraud, even though there's been ZERO basis of truth to his ridiculous claims, but, he'll keep at it anyway.
    Well, there probably was some voter fraud..

But most of believe it benefited the Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Well, there probably was some voter fraud..

But most of believe it benefited the Donald.
    And that's why the commission was closed in 2017 ... they found 0 cases that benefited his opponent. They even found members of his own family and cabinet had committed voter fraud ... it was a giant self-own.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    - 720 ...
    - 750 ...
    - 741 ...
    - 811 ... !
    - 747 ...

It's just getting worse ...
    The only reason people would reelect Trump would be because the economy was doing well. If that tanks, then he'll go down with the ship. Plain and simple.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The only reason people would reelect Trump would be because the economy was doing well. If that tanks, then he'll go down with the ship. Plain and simple.
    If they run stopgap legislation like the GOP did in 2007, the recession begins AFTER November 2020.

Pin it on the Dems, win or lose, will be the play call.

If they run stopgap legislation like the GOP did in 2007, the recession begins AFTER November 2020.

The GOP will want a massive tax cut, which will do diddly. If the economy tanks, only Gov. spending will bail it out, and given the current GOP driven debt, that will be hard.

A Dem win in the WH and Congress could bring Roosevelt type s&*t, which would be a good thing.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Even if the downturn starts before the election he'll pin it on the Dems in the House. Trump tries to take responsibility for everything good and blame others for everything bad.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I’m sure the poll numbers and shaky economic situation from his horrible trade war have him secretly worried. He’s going to preemptively start ranting about voter fraud just like he did leading up to 2016 when the poll numbers showed him losing to Clinton. He’s going to start saying it’s rigged against him and push even more conspiracies. Wouldn’t be surprised if he mentions the Deep State in a few speeches.

U.S. Rep. Steve King: If not for rape and incest, 'would there be any population left?'

U.S. Rep. Steve King told the Westside Conservative Club Wednesday that humanity might not exist if not for rape and incest throughout human history.

"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" he said in Urbandale, Iowa. "Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can't say that I was not a part of a product of that."

The Kiron Republican was discussing his defense of not allowing exceptions for rape and incest in the anti-abortion legislation he tried to pass in Congress. Republican leadership had prevented bills he sponsored on banning abortions from advancing through the House, despite GOP support for the measures, King said.

Just because a conception happened in bad circumstances doesn't mean the result isn't a person, King, who is Catholic, argued.

"It's not the baby's fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother," he said.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Hopefully, America is woke enough to be smart to Trump's double speak.

He already lied to Michigan's backbone factory workers ... where are those jobs he promised?

His goose is cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Even if the downturn starts before the election he'll pin it on the Dems in the House. Trump tries to take responsibility for everything good and blame others for everything bad.
    It won't matter what he says, most voters tie the economy to the President. There aren't enough of his blind, dumb supporters to make a difference.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!