Page 488 of 648 FirstFirst ... 388438478484485486487488489490491492498538588 ... LastLast
Results 7,306 to 7,320 of 9720
  1. #7306
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,376

    Default

    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump orders US companies to look for ‘alternative to China’


    Stocks fell to their lows of the day on Friday after President Donald Trump ordered in a series tweets that U.S. companies find alternatives to their operations in China. Apple led the way lower.

    The Dow Jones Industrial Average traded 420 points lower, or 1.6%. The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite slid 1.7% and 2%, respectively.

    Trump tweeted on Friday: “Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing..your companies HOME and making your products in the USA.”
    So now Trump thinsk he can order companies to do whatever he wants them to do. Remember, this is the guy who bankrupted dozens of businesses.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  2. #7307

    Default


    Max Linn

    Welcome to the 775th original “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profile, where today we’ll be discussing Max Linn, a candidate for U.S. Senate in Maine in 2018, who we only need to talk about briefly in this profile, since it’s a short story. Linn was proud to be a “Trump Strong” Republican, even in the face of the Blue Wave coming. Of course, considering he was registered as a Democrat when he was thinking about running for Governor of Florida back in 2006, and when he ran for Congress in 2010, maybe he’s just an opportunist. It’s still pretty sad to see someone who a decade ago was on the (D) side of the ballot saying that he not only wanted to build Trump’s stupid border wall, but that he would use his “own two hands” to do so.

    But no, we’re doing a quick profile on Max Linn because he got caught faking signatures to get his name on the ballot to run for U.S. Senate in Maine, and then kept trying to campaign anyway after the fact, even though the courts had booted him off the ballot.


    Like we said… it looks like the tale of Max Linn is a brief one.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  3. #7308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump orders US companies to look for ‘alternative to China’

    So now Trump thinsk he can order companies to do whatever he wants them to do. Remember, this is the guy who bankrupted dozens of businesses.
    Mad King Aerys Trump does it again.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  4. #7309
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Question: Does anyone here think that the antifa groups are justified in everything that they're doing right now to combat fascism? I've seen the argument made that even their most violent actions are justified because the US Army and allied powers had to use violence to mow down all the fascist lunatics during World War II, reasoning that if they were justified, then the antifa groups are justified in everything they're doing too. Agree or disagree?
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-23-2019 at 10:27 AM.

  5. #7310
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Question: Does anyone here think that Antifa is justified in everything that they're doing right now to combat fascism? I've seen the argument made that even their most violent actions are justified because the US Army and allied powers had to use violence to mow down all the fascist lunatics during World War II, reasoning that if they were justified, then Antifa is justified in everything they're doing too. Agree or disagree?
    There is no "Antifa" but there is antifa, the anti-fascists.

    I think if you want to have this discussion, it would be best to use the correct terminology.

    IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  6. #7311
    What fresh hell is this? ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    First trump and now the DOJ? But the far right tell me trump isn't antisemetic because he recognizes Jerusalem as the capital.
    Sheldon Adelson paid good money to Trumps campaign in exchange for that Jerusalem move.


    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

    Proud Boys Leader Admits Their Rallies Are For Fighting And Wasting Money

    The group brawls with antifa under the guise of free speech. But video exposes its true intentions: violence and wasting public resources. A clear and obvious perversion of the First Amendment. But, please, tell me again how Antifa are the bad guys.
    The Proud Boys also function as a recruiting arm for more hardcore White Nationalist and Neofascist groups with interesecting ideologies and goals.

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Word is David Koch died. Can't say I'm upset or hurt though.
    F**k him. Good riddance. I'm not ashamed to say it.
    That familiy has done much to make our government the mess it is today and by extension made the lives of some of our most vulnerable people more miserable.
    Last edited by ChadH; 08-23-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  7. #7312
    Postin' since Aug '05 Dalak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Question: Does anyone here think that Antifa is justified in everything that they're doing right now to combat fascism? I've seen the argument made that even their most violent actions are justified because the US Army and allied powers had to use violence to mow down all the fascist lunatics during World War II, reasoning that if they were justified, then Antifa is justified in everything they're doing too. Agree or disagree?
    'Most Violent Actions' . . .

    I do not support violence outside of self-defense or similar situations, but I'd like to know what you consider their most violent actions. As far as I know they haven't killed anyone and have had a significant number of lies spread about their actions (Cement Milkshakes!!1!), so I'd like to see what we're discussing here compared to actual murders, bombs sent, and rabid bigotry by the Fa side of this debate.

  8. #7313
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump orders US companies to look for ‘alternative to China’




    So now Trump thinsk he can order companies to do whatever he wants them to do. Remember, this is the guy who bankrupted dozens of businesses.
    -600 now.

    If "Trade wars are good, and easy to win", I hope Trump never tries anything that is hard.

    Also, with all the officials who have left this administration why is it that no one has told Trump it is time to dump his incompetent economic staff? But then I guess that means replace them with who? Trump has run off all of the halfway decent staff from Cohn, to Mattis, to Kelly and replaced them with people who's only qualification is their undying loyalty to Trump.

    Thank God for the system of checks and balances the Founding Fathers had the foresight to implement in case of just such a tangerine tinpot tyrant taking over the oval office. Let's just hope the C&Bs start flying at him before he gets anymore crazy ideas.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  9. #7314

    Default

    Wonkette has a nice little biography up about the new White House Press Secretary, Stephanie Grisham, who has no plans to have a White House Press Conference even though there hasn't been one in 5 and a half months.

    Grisham has:
    • Was fired from the PR Department of an insurance company for allegedly filing fraudulent travel expenses. (A grifter in the White House? THE HELL YOU SAY.)
    • Been fired for plagiarism (and seems to be a lot of the reason why Melania Trump keeps cribbing Michelle Obama's notes)
    • Has two DUI arrests in Arizona. (BeBest at its fullest)
    • Previously worked for AZ House Republicans and their efforts to bar a reporter from doing his job because he was too critical of David Gowan, a corrupt GOP Speaker of the AZ House (Attacks the media? Let's give her a job where she's going to interact with the media!)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

  10. #7315
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump orders US companies to look for ‘alternative to China’




    So now Trump thinsk he can order companies to do whatever he wants them to do. Remember, this is the guy who bankrupted dozens of businesses.
    Including casinos which literally have a license to print money, but, he fucked them up too. That degree Trump got from Wharton (which his daddy most likely bought) is really coming in handy.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  11. #7316
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Question: Does anyone here think that the antifa groups are justified in everything that they're doing right now to combat fascism? I've seen the argument made that even their most violent actions are justified because the US Army and allied powers had to use violence to mow down all the fascist lunatics during World War II, reasoning that if they were justified, then the antifa groups are justified in everything they're doing too. Agree or disagree?
    Which antifa are we talking about? The Europeans who side with Unions and participate in "anti-fascist" demonstrations? Or the US antifa that goes to Ben Shaprio lectures and has scuffles with Proud Boys and break Starbucks windows? The worst either has done so far has been fist fights and vandalism. I'm not saying any of it is justified per se, but...

  12. #7317
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Question: Does anyone here think that the antifa groups are justified in everything that they're doing right now to combat fascism? I've seen the argument made that even their most violent actions are justified because the US Army and allied powers had to use violence to mow down all the fascist lunatics during World War II, reasoning that if they were justified, then the antifa groups are justified in everything they're doing too. Agree or disagree?
    Probably not, but compared to the far right antifa is an annoyance rather than a danger. One gets into some brawls and breaks some stuff every now and then, the other uses free speech as a shield to deliberately empty the coffers of liberal cities (by their own admission), also gets into fights and breaks stuff, and has an actual body count.

    Conflating the two is just whataboutism at best.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  13. #7318
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    'Most Violent Actions' . . .

    I do not support violence outside of self-defense or similar situations, but I'd like to know what you consider their most violent actions. As far as I know they haven't killed anyone and have had a significant number of lies spread about their actions (Cement Milkshakes!!1!), so I'd like to see what we're discussing here compared to actual murders, bombs sent, and rabid bigotry by the Fa side of this debate.
    Supposedly, the Dayton mass shooter from earlier this month had, assuming the sources I've seen are correct, either links to antifa groups or at the very least was an enthusiast of antifa groups. The sources could always be wrong though, of course, so it would be nice to know which sources tend to be the most reliable so as to gain as good of an understanding as possible.

  14. #7319
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Supposedly, the Dayton mass shooter from earlier this month had, assuming the sources I've seen are correct, either links to antifa groups or at the very least was an enthusiast of antifa groups. The sources could always be wrong though, of course, so it would be nice to know which sources tend to be the most reliable so as to gain as good of an understanding as possible.
    He was more of an enthusiast. To link him to political violence would require a couple of things - a manifesto of some kind, or him targeting the people that antifa, Warren, or Sanders are going after in their speeches. Instead of going after bankers, political donors, or some place frequented by upper classes, he went after a bar and restaurant district and one of his victims was his own sister.

    If a Trumper shoots up his workplace after getting fired it probably isn't political - it's still a tragedy though.

    But if that same person goes after the targets of political rhetoric then it is probably political in nature.

    In other words, the Dayton shooting doesn't meet the base requirements for being a left wing attack, despite the perpetrator being a left winger himself. The history the guy has shows warning signs of violence going back before he was likely to have formed his political identity to begin with.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  15. #7320
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dow drops more than 400 points after Trump orders US companies to look for ‘alternative to China’




    So now Trump thinsk he can order companies to do whatever he wants them to do. Remember, this is the guy who bankrupted dozens of businesses.
    It's now down 616 points, which makes it lower than 12 months ago today.
    Last edited by SquirrelMan; 08-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •