Page 5 of 667 FirstFirst 1234567891555105505 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    And can you imagine the hot takes from the media if something like this was from a Democratic administration?

My take? The WH gave Trump an out by saying the idea was fake news, but Trump didn't like being contradicted by his henchmen, so he went ahead and said it was true. Crazy ****.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Don Junior as Joffrey was spot on.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Or in a language that you, as a registered supporter of the party of evil will understand:

Signaling to people in shithole countries that they will be safely bused to attractive sanctuary cities where they will be treated well will cause more caravans for brown people.
    So, Democrats and liberals in the press are upset that this policy that was considered but not implemented might have caused an increase in asylum-seekers?

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The US going after the disabled isnt that surprising, they've been doing it for several years now here in the uk. To the point where 111,000 people died because of it. Conservatives are fine to let the plebs die.
    Technically, it's not about going after the disabled, but about a form of investigating whether people have been honest about their need for disability benefits.

How has the UK killed 110,000 people in several years with a similar policy?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, Democrats and liberals in the press are upset that this policy that was considered but not implemented might have caused an increase in asylum-seekers?

Technically, it's not about going after the disabled, but about a form of investigating whether people have been honest about their need for disability benefits.

I am not sure about those figures, but if this is referring to DWP, they have caused many deaths in the UK. They have an awful system where they assess people and there are so many errors. People get letters on the 9th telling them they have an appointment on the 9th or will be sanctioned. Doctor's telling people that they are disabled, but then 'experts' saying not. Making people in wheelchairs stand up and walk.

A lot of suicides/deaths directly linked to them. Again, I am not sure about the figures, but I know it is a lot. A very good movie, 'I, Daniel Blake', perfectly captures the system. I know of one elderly gentleman who was missing a leg after fighting overseas and he told me that he'd rather go back than claim disability. It is atrocious and under the Conservatives it has gotten significantly worse.

As ever, be sceptical:
    https://www.thepeoplesnewsonline.co....23944091796875
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nt-dwp-figures

Our current government has discriminated against the disabled.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Wow... I thought I was kidding, but you actually did only process the explanation in evilspeak.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

'Fox News brain': meet the families torn apart by toxic cable news

I love my mother. She is one of the kindest and sweetest people you will ever meet and I would be nothing without her. I’ve never heard her say a bad word about anyone, never mind anything overtly terrible, like the type of thing, for example, you might hear from Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity. But I do know, much to my dismay, that she has watched them on TV a lot over the years. My mom and I have agreed to not talk about politics any more. The cognitive dissonance between this lovely woman finding something appealing in the most xenophobic pundits on TV is too hard for me to reconcile. I don’t want to think about it.

It turns out there are a lot of families across the country who have a similar arrangement, or worse, in which people have stopped talking altogether to relatives they feel have been stolen from them by Fox News.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Visa vi unfairly stripping people of their benefits --or at least those not so obvious that the media cant have a field day-- through manipulation of their internal scoring system and ignoring legitimate reasons for not turning up to meetings (Because funerals and hospitals are totally just casual things that can be rescheduled) leading to people dying in poverty or through excasperation of illness.

Anecdotally I know a gentleman who (on their 1/10 scoring system with 3 being the average for minimum benefits) scored an 8 due to his very serious mental health issues and having a permanently damaged spine. He was told he was fit to work. He spent nearly a year in anxiety and frustration trying to scrape enough money together to live in his one bedroom flat, all the while navigating the Benefits system, after two appeals it finally went to court where the Judge laughed in the Benefits guys face and said "This man clearly deserves his money" and had the whole thing solved in 5 minuites.

This has happened very often. The Benefits group essentially hopes that by using bureaucracy they can force people to not bother to fight for what they are owed.

Georgetown students vote in favor of reparations for enslaved people

Georgetown University students voted overwhelmingly for a proposal to create a fund to help descendants of the enslaved people sold in the 19th century at a time when the school struggled to pay off debts, results released Friday show.

Two-thirds of undergraduate students who voted in the student government referendum supported the measure, one that is not binding but still sends a message to university administrators and beyond.

[Georgetown students vote on reparations for the descendants of slaves]

The vote comes at a time when reparations have been an issue nationally, promoted by some Democratic presidential candidates, and as a growing number of universities are exploring the role of slavery at their institutions.

Student activists who came up with the idea and campaigned for it gathered early Friday, waiting for vote results to be announced on social media by student government leaders. They were holding their phones, and Karla Leyja, a senior who had pushed for the measure, suddenly saw everyone jumping up and down, cheering and hugging. She felt proud, she said. “We did succeed in our mission to get students to talk about this and care about it,” Leyja said. “It felt incredible.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

So Republicans aren't upset that their Republican Commander in Chief is telling people they can openly break the law and is threatening American citizens under a falsely declared National Emergency against brown and black immigrants just for the sake of pleasing his racist base?

More importantly, we all know this is just a distraction from Barr and the Mueller report, Mets -- maybe you should discuss Trump and the Republican party's authoritarian and xenophobic attacks on democracy and people of color instead of pretending "open borders" is the problem with our current immigration system.

"Democrats say we must have open borders and that illegal immigrants have a right to be in this country at all costs" -- Donald Trump

You and your party have aligned yourself with a liar and it shows in your every post.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-13-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

To follow up my previous comment:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-lying-bitch

This is a deeply embarrassing post for you.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    So Republicans aren't upset that their Republican Commander in Chief is telling people they can openly break the law and is threatening American citizens under a falsely declared National Emergency against brown and black immigrants just for the sake of pleasing his racist base?

More importantly, we all know this is just a distraction from Barr and the Mueller report, Mets -- maybe you should discuss Trump and the Republican party's authoritarian and xenophobic attacks on democracy and people of color instead of pretending "open borders" is the problem with our current immigration system.

"Democrats say we must have open borders and that illegal immigrants have a right to be in this country at all costs" -- Donald Trump

You and your party have aligned yourself with a liar and it shows in your every post.
    "We don't like hearing about how corrupt and stupid he is, and we prefer when the news reports that he's being terrible to people of color so it helps us forget all that stuff."- Average Republican in 2019.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Visa vi unfairly stripping people of their benefits --or at least those not so obvious that the media cant have a field day-- through manipulation of their internal scoring system and ignoring legitimate reasons for not turning up to meetings (Because funerals and hospitals are totally just casual things that can be rescheduled) leading to people dying in poverty or through excasperation of illness.

Anecdotally I know a gentleman who (on their 1/10 scoring system with 3 being the average for minimum benefits) scored an 8 due to his very serious mental health issues and having a permanently damaged spine. He was told he was fit to work. He spent nearly a year in anxiety and frustration trying to scrape enough money together to live in his one bedroom flat, all the while navigating the Benefits system, after two appeals it finally went to court where the Judge laughed in the Benefits guys face and said "This man clearly deserves his money" and had the whole thing solved in 5 minuites.

This has happened very often. The Benefits group essentially hopes that by using bureaucracy they can force people to not bother to fight for what they are owed.

My dad here in the USA had two artificial hips and an artificial shoulder and was scored 'fit to work' for his physically demanding job when he could barely walk and certainly could not get down easily on his hands and knees as was required for it.

He spent multiple years trying to get his disability and, exactly as in your case, it finally got in front of a judge who laughed in government's face and awarded him his disability.

These departments cultivate cultures of contempt for those they serve all too frequently and begin with the presumption of dishonesty. It is vile.

Extraordinary Member

Meanwhile, Sanders is still campaigning on the long debunked "economic anxiety" trope, showing he has no concept on why Trump really won, so how can he figure out how to beat him?

Again regardless of whatever you think the primary reason people voted for Trump was, Democrats have to come to a reckoning with the fact that yes for Trump to win the Presidency he needed to make a sizeable portion of Obama voters come out for him in some key states. That did happen.

Also you have to look at strategy. What states actually cost you the election. Mostly midwertern rust belt states. Those were the crucial states with the smallest margins of victory that the Democrats had the best chance to win and didn't that gave Trump his pathway.

What message from a Democratic canidate is going to play well with those people? That they are all racist and that's why Trump won? Or that they are in a desperate economic situation and were lied to by a con man". Because regardless of which one is more correct, I can tell you right now one of those lines is going to repel people and one of those lines has played well with those very same groups.

At some point you have to decide if you want to win or if you want to lose and be right. In 2016 the Democrats were right, and they lost. Hillary Clinton told all those people what was actually happening and that they needed to find ways to pivot, Trump lied and sold them a fantasy. There is no consolation prize for being the most correct loser.