Page 547 of 667 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551557597647 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 10005
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Not being able to control China is no excuse for not doing our own part, and frankly, bringing it up aligns you with some of the dumbest voices in denial movement who always deflect to 'what about China' as an excuse for doing nothing.

You can only control what you do, and 'doing nothing' because 'China' remains a pretty feckless handling of things.
    The truth shouldn't be this controversial. Thirty is merely stating that China is a far more reckless emitter and unlikely to be influenced in any meaningful way.

We should still do our part and more, but it's part of the calculus. A part that, unfortunately, might render anything we do obsolete. The path forward should at least consider that reality right?

But if we spent the capitol to develop inexpensive alternative energy, the Chinese would adopt it and lower their GH emissions. They already generate more solar than any country.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The truth shouldn't be this controversial. Thirty is merely stating that China is a far more reckless emitter and unlikely to be influenced in any meaningful way.

We should still do our part and more, but it's part of the calculus. A part that, unfortunately, might render anything we do obsolete. The path forward should at least consider that reality right?
    Absolutely, but that point is frequently raised as /an excuse for us to do nothing/. All the time. I don't much like parroting their reasoning in the context it was brought up in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Absolutely, but that point is frequently raised as /an excuse for us to do nothing/. All the time. I don't much like parroting their reasoning in the context it was brought up in.
    'Why should I clean up the litter in my garden when my neighbour wont"

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Honestly...would that distinction matter?
    Maybe not, but I'm still curious. I can better understand someone from the Southern U.S. States doing it than I can someone from Canada.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Maybe not, but I'm still curious. I can better understand someone from the Southern U.S. States doing it than I can someone from Canada.
    One was him in an "Arabian Nights" party as Aladdin. The other, from High School was a talent show where he was doing Harry Belefonte. He wasn't doing a Minstrel Show, like in the South.
    Not that it excuses anything, just the context of when he did this.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    My question is, did he understand what he as doing when he did it? Or was he ignorant of the implications?
    In the statement that I saw he said that he didn't realize it back then but now he knows that it's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    You could have just said "I don't want to answer" or what seems to be a "Yes" rather than that string of talking points that indicate nothing of actual substance. Nothing is preventing you from answering simply other than yourself.

BTW Mets there is no longer any penalty to failing to get insurance, I have none and have had to pay no fines or fees thanks to Trump. Anyone who cared that much about it would have dropped their insurance already.
    Democrats do still want a mandate so it's relevant to a policy question.

If you're unsure of my views on anything, ask me a non-loaded question and I'll do my best to answer. The way you phrased it assumed clear consequences that I'm not sure would happen
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Retired

You have to understand the implications of blackface are much more clear in the U.S., where it was all part of a social effort to keep black people down. In other parts of the world, this wasn't the historical case--thus people won't always understand the harm. Yet we in Canada consume American culture and should know that it's supposed to be bad. Just when each of us got that message might depend on our social set. For me, by the 1970s I understood this was bad--so I'm surprised the PM didn't pick up on that when he was younger.

He was in Vancouver at the time this happened and that kind of myopia doesn't accord with Vancouver's values. If he was in Quebec City, that would make more sense to me, because racism is still alive and well there. However, he's a very theatrical person--has done some acting--so maybe he was so enthusiastic to put on a show that he didn't understand the significance. I'm not sure. As THE BEAVERTON put it in one of their satirical headlines:

Shocking brownface photos indicate wealthy man raised in privilege might suck

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What surprises me is that this info about Trudeau didn't come out in the previous election. Or that Trudeau, knowing this could always come out, didn't release the info a few years ago himself, when he wasn't facing a re-election bid and he could have dealt with it then, so it would be old news by now.

This might actually play well for him in some parts of the country I have to admit--it's a difficult calculation to see which of the five parties will benefit in the final wash.
    Boy, I must have been out of the loop on this kind of thing. I thought people stopped doing the black face thing back in the Al Jolson days but he did this in 2001? Although I've never seen it, I do recall seeing how Lord Laurence Olivier played Othello on stage and in a filmed version of Othello with dark make up but that was the 1960s. I think so did Orson Welles.

Trudeau's apology also addresses that part of his ignorance was because of his privilege and now he understands it's racist and should have known better.

I want to note, that I've not heard any American who defends themselves or another politician in blackface make that connection yet.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Retired

It wasn't so long ago that SNL had non-black actors playing black characters. And then there's movies where white actors played characters that should have been people of colour.

In 2014, at Vienna's annual Life Ball, Kim Kardashian was shocked when she was greeted by a man in blackface. Blackface is still common in parts of Europe, especially around St. Nicholas Day, when St. Nicholas is accompanied by Black Peter, who is traditionally someone in blackface. There's also "The Magic Flute" by Mozart which features Monostatos, who was played by someone in blackface (but probably not anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Trudeau's apology also addresses that part of his ignorance was because of his privilege and now he understands it's racist and should have known better.

I want to note, that I've not heard any American who defends themselves or another politician in blackface make that connection yet.
    I said a long time ago people should just say this:

"I was trash when I did that. I'm sorry, I'm trying not to be such a garbage person any more."

90% of the time that type of apology sums up that you knew, or at least know in retrospect, that you 1) screwed up, 2) why you screwed up, and 3) that moving forward you'd be more cognizant of your choices.

That's typically good enough for me.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Apparently there's 2 more whistle blower complaints, involving Isreal and Turkey.

Add those to Ukraine and you start to see a pattern.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium