Page 60 of 646 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast
Results 886 to 900 of 9686
  1. #886
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So in the past 72 hours, two hate crimes in California from domestic terrorists based on religious bigotry. A white Islamophobe drove into a crowd hoping to hit Muslims, and little anti-Semitic twit went to shoot up a synagogue.

    As much as Trump has been tweeting, he hasn't commented on either tragedy, because of course he wouldn't. He's busy spreading hate against both groups so these sorts of tragedies happen. (We all know his anti-Islamic history, but he resumed spreading George Soros conspiracies yesterday.)
    The moron literally sent a "thoughts and prayers" tweet. "Thoughts and prayers" literally just means "Fuck you, I'm glad you're dead" and has for a long time. Anyone tweeting that line needs to either educate themselves or be run out of office.

  2. #887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    It looks like the study you provided lists as alternate reasons to fetal anomaly or life endangerment:

    • Not knowing where to go for an abortion
    • Difficulty getting to the abortion facility
    • Raising money for procedure and related costs
    • Difficulty securing insurance coverage


    Basically all things that are results of GOP policy.

    Tell me again how your party is pro-life.
    Greater access to abortion wouldn't be pro-life, as there is the understanding for most Republicans that the fetus has value.

    You may have mixed up the section about the difficulties women have obtaining late-term abortions, and the section on the reasons, which notes that the three most common causes for delays are difficulty women had recognizing that they were pregnant (43% of respondents), trouble deciding about whether to get an abortion, and conflicts with the male partners.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.

  3. #888
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Greater access to abortion wouldn't be pro-life, as there is the understanding for most Republicans that the fetus has value.

    You may have mixed up the section about the difficulties women have obtaining late-term abortions, and the section on the reasons, which notes that the three most common causes for delays are difficulty women had recognizing that they were pregnant (43% of respondents), trouble deciding about whether to get an abortion, and conflicts with the male partners.
    So, basically. 'Make it harder for women to access an abortion when they need one, then blame women for not getting one earlier, and increasingly restrict their ability ot get it earlier'.

    Great policy, Mets.

    Your party sucks and is a misogynistic crapfest. It has never been further from being 'pro-life'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 04-28-2019 at 05:45 AM.

  4. #889
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,361

    Default

    YouTube recommended a Russian media site thousands of times for analysis of Mueller’s report, a watchdog group says

    When the report by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III came out last week, offering the most authoritative account yet of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, YouTube recommended one video source hundreds of thousands of times to viewers seeking information, a watchdog says: RT, the global media operation funded by the Russian government.

    AlgoTransparency, founded by former YouTube engineer Guillaume Chaslot, analyzed the recommendations made by the 1,000 YouTube channels it tracks daily. The group found that 236 of those collectively recommended RT’s “On Contact: Russiagate & Mueller Report w/ Aaron Mate” more than 400,000 times.

    “So YouTube’s algorithm massively recommends Russia’s take on the investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election,” Chaslot tweeted Thursday night.
    In Chaslot’s analysis, some Mueller-related videos got recommended more often overall. “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” was recommended more than 5 million times. Some other channels, such as Fox and PBS NewsHour, got hundreds of thousands of recommendations for their Mueller videos. But no other video tracked by AlgoTransparency received recommendations from as many different channels as the RT one did.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  5. #890
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Times cartoon is even worse when you consider the depiction of Trump as a Jewish blind man. So heís being led by dog Netanyahu.
    Damn, that hadnít occurred to me, but yeah, youíre right, that DOES make things worse.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    So, basically. 'Make it harder for women to access an abortion when they need one, then blame women for not getting one earlier, and increasingly restrict their ability ot get it earlier'.

    Great policy, Mets.

    Your party sucks and is a misogynistic crapfest. It has never been further from being 'pro-life'.
    You seem to be responding to some points I haven't made.

    Gary Lensman suggested the usual reason for third-term abortions is medical (conditions which cause the life of the mother to be at stake, and which would guarantee low life expectancy/ quality of life for the infant.)

    I looked at a study from a pro-choice organization that suggested reasons outside of medical concerns for women to seek later abortions, and noted the problem with focusing on medical issues is that the complaint would be resolved if there's a medical exception.

    PaulBullion made a claim about the main causes for later abortions based on the study and implied that making abortion easier to obtain is pro-life.

    I noted that the study listed three most common reasons for late-term abortions, and that these aren't based on Republican policies. I did also note why a pro-life party wouldn't like abortion.

    'Make it harder for women to access an abortion when they need one, then blame women for not getting one earlier, and increasingly restrict their ability to get it earlier'. wasn't anything I endorsed. My only comment on that line of thought is that Paul may have misunderstood what the article said if he thought it suggested the main reason women get abortions later is restrictions.

    Late term abortion came up in this thread due to comments the President made that were inaccurate. So to have the discussion on why what Trump said was false, we need to get the facts right.

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Joel says it was a legitimate commercial break, and that he was on after the break.

    https://twitter.com/JoelMartinRubin/...19617412730880

  7. #892
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Defeating the Iraqi army militarily is hardly some great accomplishment to hang our hats on given the massive disparity in quality of the forces and firepower involved, the hard part was always going to be how to rebuild the country afterwards. Realistically though, there weren't any good options to fill the power vacuum that Saddam's downfall would leave, his main opponents had always been the pro-Iranian fundamentalists and they were hardly steady hands to steer the ship of state. The idea that there was somehow this massive silent majority of pro-Western liberal thinkers yearning to be free of oppressive rule but who would gladly sign up to serve American corporate interests was a pipe dream, just like it was in every other country we've fought in.
    Exactly. We were always going to roll over the Iraq army. The difficult part was that after you start a war you have to finish it, and we have yet to finish it. If you have a strong enough army you can go in and kill anyone. We completely fucked the entire region, were never able to install a successful government in Saddam's absence, an insurgent faction rose up and caused more death and destruction in the reason, power vacuum's were created, more enemy's rose up, Iraqi and American's alike continue to die over there.

    It was a costly war that ultimately did nothing for us and we didn't make Iraq better for it. They were better off without US involvement.

  8. #893
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    So, basically. 'Make it harder for women to access an abortion when they need one, then blame women for not getting one earlier, and increasingly restrict their ability ot get it earlier'.

    Great policy, Mets.

    Your party sucks and is a misogynistic crapfest. It has never been further from being 'pro-life'.
    The thing is you are both right. If you take the Religious Right's point of view then Mets has a point, to them abortion is killing babies and then there really shouldn't be tolerance for it except in extreme situations where more than one life is at stake. If you take what I'm assuming is your point of view (and mine) that abortion is a very different thing than what Mets thinks it is, then limiting it the way Mets says becomes very problematic.

    The problem ultimately is that both sides have fundamentally different beliefs on what it actually is and you can't compromise on either. And because the right has stronger beliefs on it because of the severity of what they think it is.... they tend to vote on it more.

    I've never really seen the point in debating the abortion issue because it's such a clear and distinct difference of opinion that is the root of the debate that you either believe it or you don't and you aren't going to convince people

  9. #894
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Joel says it was a legitimate commercial break, and that he was on after the break.

    https://twitter.com/JoelMartinRubin/...19617412730880
    I don't know. I watched television a lot over the years. When there's a commercial break, there's usually a good breaking point to cut, like the anchor is saying they'll be right back, a movie fading to black after a scene, or such. This... this is just abrupt. It's like a bad YouTube ad that cuts in during the middle of something big in a video.

    Plus, I believe I heard that they only came back from a previous break a few minutes before this one. I feels very fishy to me, like they wanted to cut to something abruptly.

  10. #895
    Guardian Empress of Earth Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,361

    Default

    School curriculum provokes angry backlash

    Parts of a school curriculum that teach children about same-sex relationships, gender identity and sexual orientation have caused an uproar in Birmingham, England. CNN's Milena Veselinovic
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  11. #896
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    7,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Damn, that hadn’t occurred to me, but yeah, you’re right, that DOES make things worse.
    I realized it as soon as I noticed the sunglasses on Trump, who wouldn't even wear shades when he looked at a solar eclipse. However, I don't see how the cartoon is antisemitic. It's anti-Netanyahu. Yes, he's wearing a Star of David, but would you suggest that an anti-Franklin Graham cartoon is anti-Christian just because it depicts him wearing a cross?

  12. #897
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Exactly. We were always going to roll over the Iraq army. The difficult part was that after you start a war you have to finish it, and we have yet to finish it. If you have a strong enough army you can go in and kill anyone. We completely fucked the entire region, were never able to install a successful government in Saddam's absence, an insurgent faction rose up and caused more death and destruction in the reason, power vacuum's were created, more enemy's rose up, Iraqi and American's alike continue to die over there.

    It was a costly war that ultimately did nothing for us and we didn't make Iraq better for it. They were better off without US involvement.
    I seriously doubt anyone cared about what would happen after Saddam was removed, some might say that was never a consideration from jump street. Right or wrong, I’ve always been of the belief Dubya was hellbent on finding someone, ANYONE to punish for 9/11 or he’d never get a second term, and since he couldn’t find Osama bin Laden, he went after his daddy’s old sparring partner from the first Gulf War instead, complete with lies about WMD’s, and the rest was history. Taking into account the Middle East has been a clusterfuck since the Last Supper, overthrowing a dictator in that cauldron was a monumental mistake that, to date, has cost thousands upon thousands of lives, both Americans and Iraqis.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  13. #898
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I seriously doubt anyone cared about what would happen after Saddam was removed, some might say that was never a consideration from jump street. Right or wrong, I’ve always been of the belief Dubya was hellbent on finding someone, ANYONE to punish for 9/11 or he’d never get a second term, and since he couldn’t find Osama bin Laden, he went after his daddy’s old sparring partner from the first Gulf War instead, complete with lies about WMD’s, and the rest was history. Taking into account the Middle East has been a clusterfuck since the Last Supper, overthrowing a dictator in that cauldron was a monumental mistake that, to date, has cost thousands upon thousands of lives, both Americans and Iraqis.
    I don't even think it was that. I think W just wanted to finish Daddy's war and he had an excuse he could use to sell it and a hyper nationalistic sentiment in the country after 9/11 to get people on board. Either way, we had no business being there and despite us clearly being able to roll over the Iraq Army, it showed why it's a fools errand to insert yourself into these geopolitical shitstorms that have nothing to do with us.

  14. #899
    Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 JDogindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Former Indiana senator Richard Lugar has died. The man worked hard to help reduce our Cold War stockpiles and moderate between Republicans and Democrats, and honestly, made me proud to be a Hoosier when he was in office.
    Last edited by JDogindy; 04-28-2019 at 11:45 AM.

  15. #900
    Fantastic Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The thing is you are both right. If you take the Religious Right's point of view then Mets has a point, to them abortion is killing babies and then there really shouldn't be tolerance for it except in extreme situations where more than one life is at stake. If you take what I'm assuming is your point of view (and mine) that abortion is a very different thing than what Mets thinks it is, then limiting it the way Mets says becomes very problematic.

    The problem ultimately is that both sides have fundamentally different beliefs on what it actually is and you can't compromise on either. And because the right has stronger beliefs on it because of the severity of what they think it is.... they tend to vote on it more.

    I've never really seen the point in debating the abortion issue because it's such a clear and distinct difference of opinion that is the root of the debate that you either believe it or you don't and you aren't going to convince people
    Like you said there can never be agreement because of the fundamental difference in opinion on whether its a life or not. That said while I'm more pro life than pro choice (and I'm also an atheist so I'm not pro life for religious reasons) but I get highly frustrated with both sides about not finding some common sense agreements to reduce abortion.

    The pro life side should absolutely support free and widely available birth control to women to prevent pregnancy but they get unhinged at the concept. You can't trust that people will have a condom handy in the heat of the moment (and obviously not in cases of rape) so giving the women easy access to something that works month long is critical.

    Both sides should work together to make adoption a more viable option. My sister has adopted four children so I know first hand through her what the market is like - she adopted four black infants over 4 years before she would have ever risen to the top of the wait list for a white baby. White infants are in demand but there is a surplus of everyone else. To make women more likely to consider adoption over abortion you have to actually be able to convince the woman there are families out there who want the baby and that just isn't true unless your baby is white. Some combination of incentives and tax breaks if you adopt an older child or a minority one would help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •