Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Default Hawkman #11 by Venditti, Hitch et al.: Let's Talk About It

Greetings compeers,

We have 1 more issue of Venditti and Hitch's Hawkman, a top 4 title across the DC-Marvel landscape! Even though I don't like Hawkman being a genocidal despoiler in his 1st life, the rest of the story line has been outstanding. Do you think Hawkman's ability to summon an army of variant selves will be a permanent power? Which Hawkmen fascinate you the most?

BTW, who is the red and white variant of Hawkman? He looks like a good dude.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Where are my Hawkman fans? Where are you?
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Why is everyone so silent about 1 of the best Hawkman stories ever?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I've been slammed with work of late so my reading's slowed down, but so far it's been a fun ride. I'm curious if Hawkgirl is even going to be addressed. I thought that was being done with the lady in his flashbacks, but so far that has yet to be dealt with.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm a bit behind as well but I've been enjoying the title. It's not at the level of the Geoff Johns HAWKMAN, but it's a really fun adventure book. Spiritually it is a perfect ADVENTURE COMICS comic tbh.

I wish Hawkgirl had a presence, and that Ray Palmer was more involved in the story. His team up issues were fun.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-14-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Amazing Member

He's dragging it on and the book is bleeding readers now. I enjoyed the issue but a story arc should not take a year.

Thank you, friends! Yes, more Ray would have been great. On a side note, I'm imagining the red and white Hawkman is Falcon Hawk, his costume reminds me of Falcon's older red and white costume with a little Hank Hall Hawk thrown in.

It just occurred to me the Rannian Hawk is very indicative of the early, Alex Raymond influenced sci-fi (and the throwback Rocketeer, of course). Considering Hawkman's own origins as a visual shamelessly stolen from Flash Gordon, this is pretty clever.

Astonishing Member

Enjoyed the issue.

Ready for a new story arc...preferably shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    It just occurred to me the Rannian Hawk is very indicative of the early, Alex Raymond influenced sci-fi (and the throwback Rocketeer, of course). Considering Hawkman's own origins as a visual shamelessly stolen from Flash Gordon, this is pretty clever.
    You just sparked an idea in me, Jody! Maybe Venditti expanded Hawkman's origin to begin with a villainous (genocidal) persona because the Hawkman Prince in Flash Gordon also began as a villain. Eureka!?!

Mighty Member

I've been liking this book a lot! It's had pacing issues but it's been solidly enjoyable. Getting a look at all the alternate Hawkman was pretty darn fun. I'd like to see more of Nighthawk, Airwing, and Catar-Ol in particular.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I will agree that, while good, this arc has gone on far too long (much like Abnett's King Rath arc over in Aquaman).

They have the right tone for the book, certainly, but I'd like to see it move a bit quicker.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I will agree that, while good, this arc has gone on far too long (much like Abnett's King Rath arc over in Aquaman).

They have the right tone for the book, certainly, but I'd like to see it move a bit quicker.
    I agree.

Almost 12 issues of the same story. Could have easily been 6 issues.

I'll be a voice of dissent and say i'm not sure this particular arc could have been shortened. Had it just been Carter fighting the Deathbringers, I'd agree, but the structure where every few issues guests a past incarnation lent itself well to a longer arc.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I will give this title one more issue to see if Venditti can come up with a satisfying resolution for all this, but, unfortunately, he's fallen into the exact same rut that plagued his Green Lantern run. All giant spectacle, but with no heart or genuine character development to anchor it.

Eleven issues in and I still haven't been given a single good reason to care about Carter Hall or have any idea what kind of guy he is beyond a complicated backstory. He remains a cypher to me.

I'm glad old school Hawkman fans are getting something this epic and well-drawn, but I am pretty certain this comic will not be expanding the fanbase beyond the already small numbers the character has because readers need more than a cool visual design and a cool backstory to keep coming back again and again.

Also, keeping Hawkman and Hawkgirl seperated for this long was really dumb idea. The characters are so much more interesting together than apart.