Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I will give this title one more issue to see if Venditti can come up with a satisfying resolution for all this, but, unfortunately, he's fallen into the exact same rut that plagued his Green Lantern run. All giant spectacle, but with no heart or genuine character development to anchor it.

Eleven issues in and I still haven't been given a single good reason to care about Carter Hall or have any idea what kind of guy he is beyond a complicated backstory. He remains a cypher to me.

I'm glad old school Hawkman fans are getting something this epic and well-drawn, but I am pretty certain this comic will not be expanding the fanbase beyond the already small numbers the character has because readers need more than a cool visual design and a cool backstory to keep coming back again and again.

Also, keeping Hawkman and Hawkgirl seperated for this long was really dumb idea. The characters are so much more interesting together than apart.
    Hm, I find the book to be full of heart and character. It's why I've enjoyed it so much! You can feel the love for Hawkman.

I wish Hawkgirl was present but I'd bet that, that wasn't the fault of the HAWKMAN creative team. Feels more like Synder wanted her and wanted her to be specific in presentation.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Hm, I find the book to be full of heart and character. It's why I've enjoyed it so much! You can feel the love for Hawkman.

I wish Hawkgirl was present but I'd bet that, that wasn't the fault of the HAWKMAN creative team. Feels more like Synder wanted her and wanted her to be specific in presentation.
    I'm glad it's working for you. Were you a fan of Hawkman prior to this work or has it changed your mind about the character?

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

I've been pretty bored with the series for the past five issues or so. Started out intriguing, but now it's just plodding, with this issue being no exception. I also don't at all care for Hitch's art. I know a lot of people seem to think it's great, but I personally find it extremely static and dull to look at.

I'll finish this arc off next month, but I don't know if I'll bother beyond that (even though the recent Shadow-Thief solicit does intrigue me). I also doubt that this new status quo will last longer than a year after Venditti leaves the character, making this excruciatingly long opening arc that much more offensive.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I've been enjoying this run quite a bit! While I wish Kendra had a bit more of a role in the series, I have LOVED seeing all the past lives and Carter unearthing these new parts of his origins. I hope this doesn't all get ignored when the next writer takes over. I'd also liked to see Carter start to interact more with the rest of the DCU now that he's been reestablished with a solid history.

I'm still enjoying the series, I don't plan to drop it. But I agree with a lot of you that the pacing has dropped off lately. First 5 or so issues were very fun, we got an adventure into one of his past lives. Then we got an indepth look at his time as a deathbringer and his mission moving forward.

I answer an early question, I'm not sure how I feel about his power to "summon" any or all of his past lives. I'm hoping that is limited or not available moving forward.

But once this current challenge is done, where does the series go from here? Do we get more adventures or flashbacks from his past incarnations? Does it become a straight superhero/protector of Earth series?