Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    First of all, let me just say that this is going to make a lot of money because it's Star Wars

Just watched the trailer again. Remember the phrase "jump the shark"? Well, this "jumped the tie fighter". I will tell you why, besides Rey jumping over a Tie fighter. This new trilogy feels like an adaptation of a series of YA novels. A plucky but boring heroine complete with unearned status and broody will they won't they relationship drama with Star Wars sprinkled on.

The Emperor's return just speaks to the fact that this trilogy couldn't create interesting villains. Speaking of villains why oh why did JJ even bother to go back to Rebels vs Empire? If JJ swears he had a plan but Rian didn't follow it. Whose fault is that? Disney isn't paying JJ all this money to be an absentee dad. Where was Kennedy in all this?
    Actually he doesn't say that at all. In fact he said just the opposite, that he had no plans of retconning or undoing anything that happened in the Last Jedi and stressed that the film wasn't a vast departure from the story planning sessions they had to start the sequels off. It makes sense really that he isn't panning the Last Jedi, he was a producer on the film so it's not as if he was in the dark about what was going on.

Apart from Clone Wars the series seemed to be largely swinging toward OT nostalgia before the Disney sale anyway, especially with stuff like the "Legacy" comic which went in a slightly similar direction to the new trilogy (Basically the Empire's back, the New Republic has become the Rebellion again, most of the old heroes are dead, and the Jedi Order is dead again). They kind of tried something new with New Jedi Order, but that series seemed to get a mixed reaction, while there seemed to be high demand for more OT-oriented stuff. Knights of the old Republic, for example, used a ton of OT tropes (Falcon-like ship, disfigured villain, a gang of mismatched heroes etc.) and was a pretty big success.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    Well, nobody can deny what the message of the video was since he said it about a hundred times in four minutes to the point that I started jumping forward a minute at a time to make sure he was still droning on repeating the same sentence over and over and over. Yet, on another level, there was no point.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

CBR's own Jason Cohen's take on all this.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

If Abrams wants to tie things all together like he said, I get the feeling one of the things is really hammering home a detailed explanation on what Balance truly means. I'm thinking the point this whole time has just been for a force to keep at bay the ultimate evil. An ultimate good to always be in conflict. That ultimate evil is Palpatine. On the other hand what the Chosen One represents is an opposite to give the Light a chacne in its own right., but whom of course fell and had to be saved by his son first. But its simply not a battle that was to be contained in the physical realm. It was never Anakin beats the Emperor in life and that's the balance. Its a chess match between the two entities representing the Light and the Dark on a higher concept metaphysical point of view, something ongoing well after physical death. And in the physical realm there will always be chosen champions on each side in each generation. Rey is just one manifestation of that for the light right now. Kylo is one representation of that for the dark. In this vein "Skywalker" as a name also defines the larger concept of Light now, becoming more of a title. This is how there will be justification of Rey becoming Rey Skywalker, while not being biologically related to them. I'm pretty convinced at this point Anakin will have some sort of representation in this film somehow on those grounds.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, nobody can deny what the message of the video was since he said it about a hundred times in four minutes to the point that I started jumping forward a minute at a time to make sure he was still droning on repeating the same sentence over and over and over. Yet, on another level, there was no point.
    i think it is some kind of therapeutic labour. just like that clip:

Last edited by abulafia; 04-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If Abrams wants to tie things all together like he said, I get the feeling one of the things is really hammering home a detailed explanation on what Balance truly means. I'm thinking the point this whole time has just been for a force to keep at bay the ultimate evil. An ultimate good to always be in conflict. That ultimate evil is Palpatine. On the other hand what the Chosen One represents is an opposite to give the Light a chacne in its own right., but whom of course fell and had to be saved by his son first. But its simply not a battle that was to be contained in the physical realm. It was never Anakin beats the Emperor in life and that's the balance. Its a chess match between the two entities representing the Light and the Dark on a higher concept metaphysical point of view, something ongoing well after physical death. And in the physical realm there will always be chosen champions on each side in each generation. Rey is just one manifestation of that for the light right now. Kylo is one representation of that for the dark. In this vein "Skywalker" as a name also defines the larger concept of Light now, becoming more of a title. This is how there will be justification of Rey becoming Rey Skywalker, while not being biologically related to them. I'm pretty convinced at this point Anakin will have some sort of representation in this film somehow on those grounds.
    There was a storyline actually like this in Clone Wars, the Mortis saga, which dealt with many of the same themes.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There was a storyline actually like this in Clone Wars, the Mortis saga, which dealt with many of the same themes.
    Seems like a wierd place to take inspiration from. Then again I didn't like the Mortis saga so what do I know? I just found it way too confusing for me.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 04-15-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

What's the point of the TIE Interceptor flying dangerously low and doing nothing?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Read the CBR article that parrots the line I'm seeing, "Does 'Rise of Skywalker' possibly retcon Rey's parentage".

Retcon--her parentage has never conclusively EVER been established.
    Ben saying they were no bodies that left her can't be taken at face value as truth. Man has his own motives and goals. Of which using Rey is one and if lying to her in order to manipulate her serves that purpose then so be it.

Personally I wanted her to be Ben's twin and Han/Leia's daughter but that didn't come about either.

If she is a Skywalker, then Ben would have double the reason to use her against Luke and turn her--his own revenge.

Not a retcon if in fact Rey is Rey Skywalker.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What's the point of the TIE Interceptor flying dangerously low and doing nothing?
    Hard to tell until we see it in film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Read the CBR article that parrots the line I'm seeing, "Does 'Rise of Skywalker' possibly retcon Rey's parentage".

Retcon--her parentage has never conclusively EVER been established.
    Ben saying they were no bodies that left her can't be taken at face value as truth. Man has his own motives and goals. Of which using Rey is one and if lying to her in order to manipulate her serves that purpose then so be it.

Personally I wanted her to be Ben's twin and Han/Leia's daughter but that didn't come about either.

If she is a Skywalker, then Ben would have double the reason to use her against Luke and turn her--his own revenge.

Not a retcon if in fact Rey is Rey Skywalker.
    Yeah, the retcon angle. Faux rage is en vogue again. It's not a retcon if nothing was changed and/or even revealed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    Wow. The Han Solo, Anakin, Palpatine and Alderaan parts were especially hilarious. I just had a thought, this is just the kind of thinking that JJ would use to justify redeeming Kylo and saving his life.

Everybody: He killed Han.

JJ: No one's ever really gone...
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Wow. The Han Solo, Anakin, Palpatine and Alderaan parts were especially hilarious. I just had a thought, this is just the kind of thinking that JJ would use to justify redeeming Kylo and saving his life.

Everybody: He killed Han.

JJ: No one's ever really gone...
    “Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose”

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its a chess match between the two entities representing the Light and the Dark on a higher concept metaphysical point of view, something ongoing well after physical death. And in the physical realm there will always be chosen champions on each side in each generation. Rey is just one manifestation of that for the light right now.
    The wisdom of all prior Jedi live within her as well. So Rey is The Avatar, The Force Bender. Hey, what is Nickelodeon's lawyers doing here? Don't like this idea at all. It means that everything leading up to JJ's shiny new toys were pointless IMO.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest