Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

I liked the teaser. Will we see a longer first full trailer attached to Endgame, or maybe on May 4th? Sand planet is definitely Tatooine. If this is truly bringing the Skywalker legacy full circle, then it would make sense to be back on Tatooine. Plus there are rumors of the Lars homestead being rebuilt for this film. I think there may be a bit of a misdirection with the Tie Interceptor - maybe some type of training session?

The Palaptine laugh at the end may be misdirection as well, and ties into the possible death star remains on Endor? Like another post said, maybe the soul or spirit of Palpatine resides in the remains?

Hopefully Abrams can pull it off, and remove some of the let down from TLJ. I don't "hate" TLJ. More disappointed that what was potential was there at the end of TFA, was completely ignored in the TLJ, along with a weak storyline about ships being low on fuel. LOL

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I know it's just a teaser..but it doesn't elicit any kind of emotional response from me at all. wake me up when the Mandalorian trailer drops, even just the few set pictures we've seen gave me more hope than this trailer.

I like the trailer a lot!

My guess is that Rey will take the name Skywalker in honor of Luke, but we’ll see. I liked Last Jedi a lot, and I liked the idea of Rey having no pre-existing connection to the mythos.

But I also have no problem with them revealing that there is a connection, as long as they have an interesting way to do that. The emperor laughing at the end as they look on the ruins of the Death Star makes it seem like he’s been behind all of it...and if that’s the case, then Rey having some kind of connection would make sense.

But we’ll see. I try not to go into these movies with strong expectations on the content because I think it’s pretty obvious that’s what ruins the fun for everyone.

Extraordinary Member

I only will watch this for the Emperor. I don't care about anything else. This story has no focus. The prequel trilogy was a long game plot by Palpatine to rule the Galaxy along with the indtroduction/rise/fall of Anakin Skywalker. The orginal Trilogy was the story of a resistance group finally taking a real shot at the empire, the empire quite literally striking back in retaliation, and then personal legacies colliding as the heroes get their second win to face down the Empire once and for all.

This trilogy? I don't understand a thing about it. The entire Luke thing was a massive red herring. Rey comes into us through mystery and joins the rebellion, leaves, accomplishes nothing, comes back and saves a few people. The second film was just giving us a red herring on anything left over from TFA and really was just this weird story about a failed attack on the First Order that left the Resistance in shambles. L

I'm hoping Palpatine has a decent role in this and is not some minor flashback or "vision" Rey witnesses. While I am not the biggest fan of the prequels I had to admit that when Palpatine was on screen he was always fascinating to watch.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hopefully they come up with a good explanation for Sheev's (apparent) return that doesn't crap on Luke's victory and Anakin's sacrifice. Also this kind of makes Snoke feel even more arbitrary and derivative now than he already was.

Seeing Lando again was nice, about freaking time LF.

Luke's little speech about "we've taught you everything we know" really doesn't work for me given what TLJ did with him and her.
    Yeah the speech feels really weird when you try to take it into context with TLJ. All things considered Luke really didn't teach her all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I'm hoping Palpatine has a decent role in this and is not some minor flashback or "vision" Rey witnesses. While I am not the biggest fan of the prequels I had to admit that when Palpatine was on screen he was always fascinating to watch.
    Honestly I think Palpatine's a red herring with laughter and the Tie scene taken out of context to build mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    There is a distinct lack of R2D2 in the promotional materials so far. This disturbs me.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Pair that with the poster of Threepio all decked out in weaponry, it makes me afraid he permanently shuts down or is destroyed.

I wouldn't be surprised if his role is kinda like Exar Kun's in The Jedi Academy trilogy. A spirit occupying a specific place, where he can still manipulate those he can come into contact with. However I feel an idea like this would have to include Anakin. His spirit would need to be that which is in direct conflict with Sidious's own moves, to make their battle on-going and not ruin what The Chosen One was for in the first place. Its just a fight that's still going on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-13-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

There is a distinct lack of R2D2 in the promotional materials so far. This disturbs me.

JJ does not like R2, he would rather push BB8 because he gets a cut from that merchandise.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

The Palpatine tease is by far the most interesting thing about this trailer. Luke having a Forve-Ghost presence only makes sense, all things considered.

Like many, I'm not sure where they could go with this, but I put more of the blame for that on Abrams than Johnson. Abrams was the one who built up mysteries without a plan of how to resolve them and failed to mkae the characters tied to those mysteries compelling enough to carry them, undid the end of Return of the Jedi, rehashed A New Hope beat for beat, and made Rey a Mary Sue who could master Force powers and defeat trained uber-powerful force users without any training and on the first time she ever held a light-saber. After seeing The Force Awakens I didn't think there was anywhere Episode 8 could go and was happy to be proven wrong. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised now too, but my post-ROTJ canon will always be the EU up to and ending with The Unifying Force.

Ultimate Member

Nah there was enough mystery there that Rian could have gone anywhere with it. It wasn't JJ's job to answer that, his was just to get the ball rolling.

That Rian chose the least interesting and most lame ways to go possible, and was more interested in making a 2 1/2 troll job than telling a good story, is on him not JJ.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He's the main villain. The Empire was R2 all along. It was his first step in the droid rebellion.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Nah there was enough mystery there that Rian could have gone anywhere with it. It wasn't JJ's job to answer that, his was just to get the ball rolling.

That Rian chose the least interesting and most lame ways to go possible, and was more interested in making a 2 1/2 troll job than telling a good story, is on him not JJ.
    I mostly agree with this, but also put blame on whoever was supposed to be in charge of everything overall. Rian answered to someone, and that someone should have said NO at some point.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Oh and wasn't the whole point of the last jedi to "destroy the past", "break free from the old stuff" or some crap like that?
    Well, at the end of TLJ, Luke did note that he wouldn't be the last Jedi, indicating that he thought and approved of Rey carrying the tradition forward. I think the point of the movie was less about forgetting all of the past, but rather learning the lessons from past mistakes (you own or other's) and using those to build a better future. So, if Rey developed a new Jedi organization that kept the good stuff of the past incarnations but fixed the problems those ones had, I don't see that as being bound by the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    So....the emperor?
    Could be a Force ghost (although the current lore seems to be that Sith, dark siders, and the like can't Force ghost or have an afterlife*), could just be the Force using his likeness for its own ends (like how Yoda's tests involved seeing an imaginary Darth Bane spirit in The Clone Wars or Kanan had a Force vision with the pre-fallen Grand Inquisitor being used as the vision's avatar), could just be impressions left over from his death. We don't really have that much to speculate on.
    *I've seen some other posters state otherwise. I thought that Sith force ghosts attaching themselves to relics to survive was Legends only. If someone could point out where that was carried over to canon, I'd appreciate it.

What if Palpatine (ghost or figment of the imagination) was acting like some devil on the shoulder for Kylo, maybe a bit like how Green Goblin and Norman Osborn interacted in the first Spider-Man movie? Probably won't happen, but the idea of Kylo hallucinating past dark siders or other people he knew in the past as the consequences of his choices continue to affect him could be an interesting story premise. (Heck, I really hope Force ghost Luke pays Kylo a visit!)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, at the end of TLJ, Luke did note that he wouldn't be the last Jedi, indicating that he thought and approved of Rey carrying the tradition forward. I think the point of the movie was less about forgetting all of the past, but rather learning the lessons from past mistakes (you own or other's) and using those to build a better future. So, if Rey developed a new Jedi organization that kept the good stuff of the past incarnations but fixed the problems those ones had, I don't see that as being bound by the past.

Could be a Force ghost (although the current lore seems to be that Sith, dark siders, and the like can't Force ghost or have an afterlife*), could just be the Force using his likeness for its own ends (like how Yoda's tests involved seeing an imaginary Darth Bane spirit in The Clone Wars or Kanan had a Force vision with the pre-fallen Grand Inquisitor being used as the vision's avatar), could just be impressions left over from his death. We don't really have that much to speculate on.
    *I've seen some other posters state otherwise. I thought that Sith force ghosts attaching themselves to relics to survive was Legends only. If someone could point out where that was carried over to canon, I'd appreciate it.

What if Palpatine (ghost or figment of the imagination) was acting like some devil on the shoulder for Kylo, maybe a bit like how Green Goblin and Norman Osborn interacted in the first Spider-Man movie? Probably won't happen, but the idea of Kylo hallucinating past dark siders or other people he knew in the past as the consequences of his choices continue to affect him could be an interesting story premise. (Heck, I really hope Force ghost Luke pays Kylo a visit!)
    In the most recent Darth Vader series we learn that Castle Vader was built under the guidance of an ancient Sith Lord who's mind was attached to his helmet, so it seems it's in the new continuity as well.

This new trilogy of Star Wars films is so shambolic in terms of direction, it's ridiculous. The Force Awakens was so derivative of A New Hope that it was hardly a film in its own right. The Last Jedi tried so hard to be different that it left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, and now with The Rise of Skywalker it seems like Disney is overcorrecting the previous film's mistakes. There is no sense of direction or theme here other than some vague notion of honoring "legacy." If "legacy" is the core theme of this trilogy, they would've done better just to adapt and tweak the Legacy of the Force series that focused on Jacen and Jaina Solo.

Instead, we get garbage like "Let the past die." (Immediately resurrects Emperor Palpatine for the next sequel.)
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci