Default Wonder Woman July 2019 Solicitations

DC solicitations for July 2019, related to Wonder Woman:

WONDER WOMAN: COME BACK TO ME #1
    written by AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
    art by CHAD HARDIN
    new cover by AMANDA CONNER
    Available to comics shops for the first time! When Steve Trevor is called in for a test flight of an experimental new aircraft, he winds up lost in the Bermuda Triangle—and it’s up to Wonder Woman and Etta Candy to follow his trail to a mysterious, savage island! These stories written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Chad Hardin were originally published in JUSTICE LEAGUE GIANT #3-4!

WONDER WOMAN #74
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art and cover by JESUS MERINO
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Wonder Woman’s journey through the broken realm has reached its end—but who waits for her there? And what exactly created this place between dimensions in the first place? The answer will shock Diana, and provide the missing piece of a puzzle that’s defined her entire life!

WONDER WOMAN #75
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by XERMANICO
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    At last, after years of exile: Wonder Woman returns to Themyscira! But in the wake of Ares’ escape from his prison, the island is no longer the paradise she remembers… and the Amazons are no longer a united people! Disaster has forced Hippolyta’s warriors to choose a deadly new ally, and Wonder Woman is powerless to convince them to turn back to the light! Who among the Amazons could possibly change the course of history? Only one: Diana’s long-lost aunt, Antiope! A major figure of the Wonder Woman mythos returns in this extra-sized anniversary issue!
    Plus, Lex Luthor visits fellow Legion of Doom member Cheetah. He comes bearing gifts: a mythical weapon, one rumored to be able to kill anything—even a god. Or, in Wonder Woman’s case, a demi-god.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #13
    written by JAMES TYNION IV
    art by MARK BUCKINGHAM and DANIEL SAMPERE
    cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    variant cover by DAN QUINTANA
    Their battle against Doctor Fate may have come to an end, but the Justice League Dark’s problems are just beginning when the helmet begins its search for a new host.
    Meanwhile, what can Lex Luthor offer a magic user like Circe? For one thing, Lex knows a thing or two about monsters. And where Circe can find them.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK ANNUAL #1
    written by JAMES TYNION IV and RAM V
    art by GUILLEM MARCH
    cover by RILEY ROSSMO
    Swamp Thing takes center stage in this one-of-a-kind story that will change the Green forever! After the fall of the Parliament of Trees, the Parliament of Flowers and its new guardian have risen. It’s now up to Alec Holland to convince him to become a benevolent protector of the world, but little does he know, a foe from his past, the Floronic Man, is trying to sway the guardian as well. Which path will the King of Petals choose? The fate of mankind depends on it!

Also new trades and a Rebirth Year One hardcover.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

My personal comments:

Conner/Palmiotti can always be counted upon to do wacky stories full of quirks and hijinks, though I had hoped they had done the art as well. But I don't have much experience with Hardin's art, so I might be pleasantly surprised.

Frison is on alternate covers (yay!), but the art situation seems to continue to be chaotic, with first Merino and then Xermanico. I mean, three artists for four issues? And none of them being the ostensible lead artist?

The story seems to one that has been walked before, of trying to reunite the Amazons and then find a way for them to integrate or co-exist with Man's World. But that's not necessarily a problem if the story is well told or manages to bring a new twist to the tale. But it seems rather clear that Wilson does have a long-term plan here that she was moving on from her very first issue, in addition to the themes she was exploring. But didn't Cheetah get a god-killing weapon from Lex Luthor in a relatively recent Justice League issue? (Not that I expect Wilson to necessarily know that, but the editor should definitely know.) Provided the solicitation text is accurate, that is.

Diana doesn't seem to be the focus of JLD this month, but I expect her to feature rather prominently in them in any case. Though having Lex Luthor as a consultant to Circe seems like an editorial mandate, given the powerup she received at the end of The Witching Hour, or her long experience of various monsters. Provided the solicitation text is accurate, that is.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Due to her prominence on the cover, I unfortunately think the deadly new ally mentioned in the solicits is Grail. I hope they surprise us and have it be somebody else, preferably an older face we haven't seen in a while.

Glad Antiope is coming back, and looks to resemble her movie design. Robin Wright has boosted her profile more than she's ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The story seems to one that has been walked before, of trying to reunite the Amazons and then find a way for them to integrate or co-exist with Man's World. But that's not necessarily a problem if the story is well told or manages to bring a new twist to the tale. But it seems rather clear that Wilson does have a long-term plan here that she was moving on from her very first issue, in addition to the themes she was exploring. But didn't Cheetah get a god-killing weapon from Lex Luthor in a relatively recent Justice League issue? (Not that I expect Wilson to necessarily know that, but the editor should definitely know.) Provided the solicitation text is accurate, that is.

Diana doesn't seem to be the focus of JLD this month, but I expect her to feature rather prominently in them in any case. Though having Lex Luthor as a consultant to Circe seems like an editorial mandate, given the powerup she received at the end of The Witching Hour, or her long experience of various monsters. Provided the solicitation text is accurate, that is.
    Maybe they realized the "Tears of Extinction" or whatever that Cheetah used to kill Poseidon was unimpressive, and they're giving her something else? Or it could be a flashback story told more from her perspective, but I believe Luthor pointed out where it was and she and Manta actually discovered it. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the current WW writer depicts her.

There really is no justifiable reason Lex should be able to impart knowledge for either Cheetah or Circe in their respective fields, but here we are.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Scott Snyder has completely NEUTERED Cheetah and now he’s coming for Circe too. Happy days.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Due to her prominence on the cover, I unfortunately think the deadly new ally mentioned in the solicits is Grail. I hope they surprise us and have it be somebody else, preferably an older face we haven't seen in a while.

Glad Antiope is coming back, and looks to resemble her movie design. Robin Wright has boosted her profile more than she's ever had.

Maybe they realized the "Tears of Extinction" or whatever that Cheetah used to kill Poseidon was unimpressive, and they're giving her something else? Or it could be a flashback story told more from her perspective, but I believe Luthor pointed out where it was and she and Manta actually discovered it. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the current WW writer depicts her.

There really is no justifiable reason Lex should be able to impart knowledge for either Cheetah or Circe in their respective fields, but here we are.

I totally agree about Lex and Cheetah/Circe. Cheetah is powered by a god. She shouldn't need a special weapon to kill Diana if it really comes down to it. I'm kind of bummed to see them using Circe in this storyline. She's powerful enough as is. It would have been nice to see Lex upgrade a Wonder-rogue we haven't seen in a while like Dr. Poison, Queen Clea, Dr. Psycho, Osira, Kung, or Minister Blizzard.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Scott Snyder has completely NEUTERED Cheetah and now he’s coming for Circe too. Happy days.
    What did he do? Not using her much or showing her power? Nothing new there. Many DC writers don't care about WW herself, let alone her villains.

Doubt Tynion has forgotten about the power up he gave Circe. If anything I think he’s about to make use of that power up. I’m honestly excited, it sounds like Circe is about to make a big play in the coming months. I’ve loved JLD so far and am looking forward to the inevitable showdown between Diana and Circe.

Happy Themyscaria is going to come back into play, and it looks like Wilson has a plan for how to use it. I’m hoping for a return to Themyscaria as a political power. Maybe Wilson can make me care about Grail.

BANNED

It's nice to see one DC character finally begin to catch up to where we left them in Doomsday Clock.

Man, that is a rare fail on the Dodson's part on the cover of Wonder Woman #75. Look at Diana's left knee, or rather the absence of one…

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTIvOTE4L29yaWdpbmFsL1dXMDc1X0NWUl9DT0wuanBl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Did I miss something? Snyder isn't mentioned in any of the solicits.

JLD continues to look good. Showdown with Circe seems to be coming.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did I miss something? Snyder isn't mentioned in any of the solicits.
    It seems to be a tie in to his events with Justice League. So if Wilson and Tynion are writing Lex interacting with Cheetah and Circe, I think it has to due with Snyder's plot. Though maybe they can execute the use of WW villains better.

I definitely hope this is an indication that Cheetah will have a bigger role in Wilson's run. Themyscira being accessible again should have a major impact on Barbara Ann's story considering her misplaced blame on the Amazons for her life going to crap.