Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Isn't it true that every book, especially the less popular ones, from time to time has a big character guest-appearing, being highlighted on the cover and all? Not only to leverage sales, but also because it's a connected universe. Isn't that enough? To me it's weird that the Outsiders must have Batman on the title and not only guest-appearing sometimes. In fact, to me it would seem to be more effective that way, so they can use many different characters and not just Batman to lure readers in. Besides, team books aren't easier to sell? I mean, an Outsiders book would attract fans of each of its members.
    It's true that the sales increases when a big character guess appear, but these sales tend to fall in the next issue.

Also, it depends of other editors to allow guest stars to appear, so Outsiders won't control its guess stars.

Team books aren't necessarilly easier to sale. Even if you combine all fans (and ignoring that there will be overlap between fans), as these are minor characters, the sales not necessarily will be high. That's why they need Batman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Besides, team books aren't easier to sell? I mean, an Outsiders book would attract fans of each of its members.
    The big problem is that the members of the Outsiders don't have that many fans, and most of these characters don't have that many appearances outside of team books to generate a fanbase seperate from the team.

And team books don't necessarily sell better, Batman's solo has for example higher sales the Justice League. And the sales of Titans are usually also only a bit higher than the sales of Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The big problem is that the members of the Outsiders don't have that many fans, and most of these characters don't have that many appearances outside of team books to generate a fanbase seperate from the team.

And team books don't necessarily sell better, Batman's solo has for example higher sales the Justice League. And the sales of Titans are usually also only a bit higher than the sales of Nightwing.
    I know people joked about it before, but when you put it like that, it does sound like this iteration of Titans is just "Nightwing plus some people" and that reminds me of that variant cover of Titans where Nightwing take up 90% of it front and center while the other members are posing in the gap between his legs and hands.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I know people joked about it before, but when you put it like that, it does sound like this iteration of Titans is just "Nightwing plus some people"
    Thats not sofar from the truth imo, and not only for this incarnation of the team.

Appart from Wally non of the other members are nearly as popular as him. And Wally is as meber just not as iconic. He was not that much around during Marv Wolfman's New Teen Titans run, and was not on the team in any of the TV shows.

And thats similar with most of DCS other long running team books. Teen Titans had Tim and now Damian as central character, Suicide Squad is centred around Harley Quinn, the outlaws arround Jason.
    Only big exception is the Justice League.
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-23-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thats not sofar from the truce imo, and not only for this incarnation of the team.

Appart from Wally non of the other members are nearly as popular as him. And Wally is as meber just not as iconic. He was not that much around during Marv Wolfman's New Teen Titans run, and was not on the team in any of the TV shows.
    True... he was in the League and his own book, which probably has a different audience, and which they refuse to put him in now.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Because there aren't enough jokes about him being Green Batman. ::eyeroll::
    There is that but it's never bothered me.

Green Arrow is a big enough name that The Outsiders could work if it was his team book and not Batman's.

Personally, I'd like Bats outta the League and make the Outsiders his only team with fellow core members:
    Batman
    Green Arrow
    Black Canary
    Black Lightning

You could mix in other charcaters but I think with a core of those 4 the book would succeed as well as the JL.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Green Arrow is a big enough name that The Outsiders could work if it was his team book and not Batman's.
    Green Arrow is sales wise at the low end of DCs bigger characters, he could probably carry an "Green Arrow and the Outsiders" book, if it is also his main book at the same time, but that he could support his own solo and an Outsiders Books seems less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well that's not necessarily true. Not that I'm advocating for it but the Outsiders with Nightwing was the longest lasting run.
    That volume was the longest but nightwing was not leading the team for that entire run. Eventually sales dipped and they needed to go back to Bruce and incorporate more classic outsiders members