Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Why does there even need to be a heir to Batman, does he even want one? Who says the cowl is come mantle to be passed down, what if Bruce's intention is that the Batman dies with him and no one else takes up the the identity? I think Dick is content as Nightwing and the other Robins could/should find their own unique identity as well. Honestly I don't think Bruce wants anyone to be Batman after him and he would prefer they do their own thing. knowing him he probably has some protocol in place to seal up or destroy the Batcave after he's gone.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Why does there even need to be a heir to Batman, does he even want one? Who says the cowl is come mantle to be passed down, what if Bruce's intention is that the Batman dies with him and no one else takes up the the identity? I think Dick is content as Nightwing and the other Robins could/should find their own unique identity as well. Honestly I don't think Bruce wants anyone to be Batman after him and he would prefer they do their own thing. knowing him he probably has some protocol in place to seal up or destroy the Batcave after he's gone.
    I kind of agree with this. Dick is the only option for Batman II I'm interested in, but I think he can carry on Bruce's legacy as Nightwing. He's doing the work Bruce trained him for in his own way. Between him, the other Robins, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey and Batwoman, I think Gotham would be in safe hands in the unlikely event Bruce ever dies/retires. Batman's legend has already done the job of getting Gotham to be less corrupt/complacent (it's certainly weirder, but inspiring other heroes and the masses to fight back was his main purpose and he's done that several times over if DC would allow things to go to their logical optimistic conclusion).

Legacy mantles seldom have appeal for me outside of examples like Wally, Damian and the JSA-related characters. But a Gotham without Batman and being protected by his heirs, forging their own unique paths, would be awesome if it were ever allowed to happen. Dick would be better off in Gotham than Bludhaven in this stage, and it would have enough protection that he could also divide his attention and travel to other corners of the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    My thoughts too. There doesn't need to be a Batman after Batman. It's not like Batman is the family farm or the corner deli, where the son takes over for the dad after the dad retires.
    There are other heroes in Gotham that could step in after Batman hangs up the cape. Batwoman, for example.

Retired

It's only really an issue if you're stuck on thinking of the present continuity as the most important one--and on Dick's possible fate in that continuity. If you only see this continuity as one of many and maybe not the most important of them all, then it's just a possible fate of one iteration of the character.

In different continuities, Dick Grayson has had different fates and there have been different Batman II characters. On the original Earth-Two, Dick was always Robin and there was no replacement Batman (Robin and Huntress were his successors). In 1957's "The Grown Up Boy Wonder," Dick took the identity of Owlman. In Alfred's imaginary world of the early 1960s, Dick did become Batman II--while Betty became Batwoman II and Bruce Wayne Jr. became Robin II. In the Super Sons stories from the 1960s and 1970s, Bruce Wayne Jr. became Batman II (I don't think we ever learned what happened to Dick). In 1978's "The Last Batman Story," Dick stayed Robin when he grew up and the story concluded with both Bruce and Dick possibly ending their careers as the Dynamic Duo. In Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns," Bruce returned as the Batman (I don't think we ever learned what happened to Dick).

There have been many other stories that purported to set the future for Dick or that took place in no longer functioning timelines. Not to mention adaptations in other media. And I have no faith that whatever is in continuity now will be ten years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's only really an issue if you're stuck on thinking of the present continuity as the most important one--and on Dick's possible fate in that continuity. If you only see this continuity as one of many and maybe not the most important of them all, then it's just a possible fate of one iteration of the character.

In different continuities, Dick Grayson has had different fates and there have been different Batman II characters. On the original Earth-Two, Dick was always Robin and there was no replacement Batman (Robin and Huntress were his successors). In 1957's "The Grown Up Boy Wonder," Dick took the identity of Owlman. In Alfred's imaginary world of the early 1960s, Dick did become Batman II--while Betty became Batwoman II and Bruce Wayne Jr. became Robin II. In the Super Sons stories from the 1960s and 1970s, Bruce Wayne Jr. became Batman II (I don't think we ever learned what happened to Dick). In 1978's "The Last Batman Story," Dick stayed Robin when he grew up and the story concluded with both Bruce and Dick possibly ending their careers as the Dynamic Duo. In Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns," Bruce returned as the Batman (I don't think we ever learned what happened to Dick).

There have been many other stories that purported to set the future for Dick or that took place in no longer functioning timelines. Not to mention adaptations in other media. And I have no faith that whatever is in continuity now will be ten years from now.
    I am pretty sure that in the main continuity that Bruce Wayne will always be Batman. Bruce has been Batman for 80 years and shows no signs of aging. Even though in real time he is at least 100 years old.
    That is never going to change. Sure Dick could become Batman in some sort of elseworlds, speculative, or other Earth version. But that isn't going to be canon.

Somebody's got to fill in until Damian is allowed to grow up and take over.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Amazing Member

I agree with others who ask what the point is to replacing Bruce with Dick/Damian for Batman. If DickBats or DamianBats are going to be their own characters and not just cover bands as Robanker said, they're going to need their own rogues galleries, allies, and ways of doing things. I don't think we're willing to scrap everything we know about Batman and reinvent it for anything longer than a miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Anyone else feel annoyed that Dick is pretty much expected to become Batman?
    Expected by who?
    Serious question to you, who actually expects that?
    DC knows who their Batman is; Bruce Wayne.

Bruce Wayne Batman is their bread and butter, and has been (except for brief romps where others get to play too) since the late 1930s, and this incredible ongoing-sliding-time-scale allows them to keep it that way, while also moving the character forward for all new generations.
    That works, it has worked since the 30s, it's a system that is popular and proven.
    Sliding-time scale returning to Bruce Wayne as the definitive Batman is what has allowed Batman to remain one of the longest running popular franchises in history.
    (name one that ages and replaces their lead character, that's better, that's run longer, and is consistently more popular)

That a bunch of delusional fans think they need to "fix" that system by aging and replacing Bruce Wayne with Dick Grayson, or one of derivative Robins, is on them and their sad delusion. They rant and rave about it here, but nobody really takes them seriously.

I feel like it him constantly being attached to Batman is limiting to his character.
    That's on the character and his writers, if the most interesting thing they still find about him, is he was once Batman's Robin. Maybe that's the reality.

he's still expected to succeed Bruce.
    Only by some delusional fans. And if he's written that way it's to string them along with these narratives, cause that's the only interesting thing they find about him (or the other Robins) is to sugest they'll be Batman one day LOL!
    They can explore it for stints, in eslewolds, and alternate time lines and continuities), the great medium allows for it all.
    The actual continuity Batman will still be Bruce Wayne.

. It's worse when you realize that Batman has at least four other Robins that could fill the role.
    That's cause Batman has stuck with the ever working sliding-time-scale.
    That there is an excess of redundant and derivative Robins, is cause they keep ignoring that and aging the Robins, with the delusions they will grow up to be Batman (and they've never spun one off into anything more interesting that they've tried))
    If the most interesting thing about Robin(s), is being the young version.
    You know what Dick Grayson was designed to be, Grayson's Robin identity will always have the most cachet; (going back to the Golden age where he's the young, devilmaycare, daredevil, solo taking on Zucco (his parents killers) and the mob, somersaulting, slingshoting and kicking mobsters (even the Joker) off city skyscrapers to their death! So much that Batman has to intervene to save them, from Robin.
    This ^ will always be the definitive version, who Batman recognized in himself, had to real in, and take under his wing, so he wouldn't become that.

They know they lost that, DC has forever since been trying to retrieve that Robin, with all these derivative "re-imaginings" of the character, so they can have the young version back, and new readers can tell themselves look how edgy Robin is now, with mostly (creepy clones) trying to imitate the original. LOL!
    Which just keep outrageously and uselessly piling up).
    Instead of using the original and the best!

With sliding-time-scale being the lifeblood of comics, the only update Grayson needed was a costume; adding leggings, dark cape, and full boots.
    Which Neal Addam's pretty much came up with for Grayson anyway, and every "new" incarnation has shamelessly, with out credit been appropriating since.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-13-2019 at 06:05 PM.

In the context of the story it does make sense, batman would have to one day retire and stop being batman, so a successor for his mission would have to step up. As others pointed out Dick Grayson is the most qualified and deserving character for that role, now, whether he takes Bruce's place as Batman or as Nightwing it's another question. You can argue that Nightwing has become such an integral title for Grayson that he doesn't need to give it up for the Batman mantle. Bruce being the The Batman makes it harder for Grayson to establish his legacy with that shadow over him. In Morrison's run his time as Batman was well received and he was able to have his own aura as batman, Wally West was able to establish himself as phenomenal flash successor so the same could happen here. The nature of Super hero comics doesn't allow characters like Batman to have drastic lasting changes in the status quo especially if it involves full time progression, Bruce will never be past 40 and Damian will probably be 13 forever because there's no more space for aging up characters. With that said all predictions of who's going to be the heir to the title are meaningless because DC will never make it canon...

Unless they created a line of comics set in an established future that ran alongside the main continuity line. That way they could play with a DC universe set in the future, the stories would obviously be limited creatively as they would have to sync with the main present line but it could be done.

I don't really see a need for a successor in name.
    He's not The Phantom.

He was a normal human who took up a cape to fight crime.

Let Nightwing be Nightwing.
    He can still honor Bruce without having to be 'Batman'.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I don't really see a need for a successor in name.
    He's not The Phantom.

He was a normal human who took up a cape to fight crime.

Let Nightwing be Nightwing.
    He can still honor Bruce without having to be 'Batman'.
    Would he be forced to stay in Gotham or could he commute?

Would he be forced to stay in Gotham or could he commute?
    He wouldn't have to be in Gotham at all.
    There's heroes there already, and Gotham is only one city.
    Nothing really makes Gotham more important than any other city.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

By the way, has anybody brought up the fact that Terry McGinnis becomes Batman in the future?

Retired

In issue 256 of BATMAN (May-June 1974), “Letters to the Batman--Extra!” led off with a missive from Scott Weingarten, dated August 31, 1989. Weingarten praised the work of Dennis O’Neil over the last two decades and related some of the details of recent comics, where Bruce and Alfred had died, leaving Dick to become the new Batman. Meanwhile, Barry and Iris Allen had also passed on--killed by four of the Flash’s foes--with their teen-aged son, Bruce Allen, left to mourn them. Wally remained alive to carry on Barry’s legacy as the Flash. Young Bruce (who apparently had no speedster powers) swore to avenge the deaths of his parents and partnered with Dick. So they had become the “future look” team of Batman and Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, has anybody brought up the fact that Terry McGinnis becomes Batman in the future?
    (who was apparently his own clone LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In issue 256 of BATMAN (May-June 1974), “Letters to the Batman--Extra!” led off with a missive .... Alfred had died, leaving Dick to become the new Batman.

And in other not news once upon a time...

Meanwhile...

Well over 1,000 + stories (and more in other media) and this is still reinventing itself firmly in place for new generations;
    Bruce Wayne Batman, proven today as 80 years ago.
    This is clear to all!

So again I ask;

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Anyone else feel annoyed that Dick is pretty much expected to become Batman?
    Expected
    by who?
    Serious question to you, who actually expects that?
    DC knows who their Batman is; Bruce Wayne.
    Who actually expects that?
    And if that's the "fix" anyone think the comic needs ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    (name one that ages and [permanently] replaces their lead character, that's better, that's run longer, and is consistently more popular)
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-14-2019 at 06:19 AM.