Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Most people expect Dick to someday become Batman because he's the only one of Bruce's protege who doesn't royally screw up in future timelines when the mantle is passed down.

Jason has never been depicted as taking up the mantle in the future.

When Tim takes over he goes full dictator and fascism.This happened twice.

Damian is implied to destroy Gotham and sell his soul to the devil for power or something.

Dick was a pretty good Batman the one time he took the mantle.
    Damian sells his soul to protect Gotham city from the apocalypse.

Leaving aside the fact that writers have the power to write any futuire they want. Jason, Tim and Damian can be written to be great Batmen and Dick can be written to retire happily. No one has to be a **** so that argument is pretty much nonsense. It's make believe. The writers make it up as the go along.
    In Batman beyond Rebirth we learn from Bruce that Damian grew up to become the greatest batman he has ever seen. better even than him in his prime before he put on the faulty batsuit that sent him crazy [the same batsuit nearly turned Terry into a killer]
    Something that's never been acknowledged for any other Robin.

Dick doesn't need to be batman. Dick isn't and is never going to be heir to the cowl because Terry Mcginnis is the only other Batman. everyone one else is just a temp. That is what makes the whole DC and Fans pitching Dick as the heir so sad.
    So like i said the writer makes it up.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I feel like it him constantly being attached to Batman is limiting to his character. Despite being Nightwing longer than he was Robin by now, he's still expected to succeed Bruce. It's worse when you realize that Batman has at least four other Robins that could fill the role.
    I feel annoyed because that false idea is very harmful to Dick.
    It pretty much means that Nightwing is a sidekick. A batman in waiting. A hero who has yet another level to reach.
    The expectation that Batman is Dick's final evolution not Nightwing.

It gives DC license to mess with Nightwing and treat him like a lesser hero as we saw the JL do to him and the Titans in the Rebirth Titans book. It is also a lie. DC knows Dick isn't going to succeed Bruce. We the fans also know this. Not in any meaningful or long term way.

Dick Grayson is never ever going to be anything other than a fill in batman.
    Dick, Damian they are only fake heirs. None of the Robins will ever fill that role.

Terry is the only other character that's going to be batman in any meaningful way. Bruce Wayne is far too popular to retire.

Terry is the real successor not Dick. The most Dick is going to have is a stint in the cowl then back to his real job. Nightwing.
    Bruce and Terry are the 2 Batmen.
    Dick is Nightwing. A top tier hero worthy of the JL with is own city to protect. He might be batman's most trusted ally and 1st son but that doesn't mean we should expect him to inherit the cowl.
    Dick is his own man and it's about time DC started treated him as such.
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.

BANNED

I'm not expecting nor do I want him to be batman I'm still waiting for Jason to become batman dick grayson can die for all I care(although I wouldn't kill him since his book sells pretty good and he has a large fan base you can make money from)

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I'm not expecting nor do I want him to be batman I'm still waiting for Jason to become batman dick grayson can die for all I care(although I wouldn't kill him since his book sells pretty good and he has a large fan base you can make money from)
    What about Ric?

Ya, being written by Lobdell has been a fate worse then death.

Anyway i think he's just the most acceptable. DC themselves seems to want to find ways to write him out of the picture every time Bruce goes on a vacation, like their latest Ric concoction.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-14-2019 at 04:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Except...he has. In fact, I think Jason Todd served as a stark reminder of the cost of Bruce's war on crime, at least before he was resurrected and even after that. Tim Drake is also just an amazing character so...yeah, those Robins are more than welcome.
    Honestly I could do better without Tim Drake and Jason Todd. Add Duke being the next Robin post Dick and before Damien, and then I can see where you're going with this.

Mighty Member

As a Terry fan, not at all. I already have my chosen post-Bruce future set.

So two things

1. Batman is going to never be anyone else other Bruce Wayne. Companies are lazy and risk avoidant so they will sliding time scale until they can't they will reboot. Nobody else is ever going to be Batman business wise it doesn't make sense.

2. Nightwing was the "heir" to Batman until Damian came along. Damian is now the most likely to like to take over after Batman.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I’m annoyed Dick is not Batman now

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Jason has never been depicted as taking up the mantle in the future.
    Countdown had one Earth were he was Batman.

To me it comes pretty much down to when Bruce retires. If he stretches his time as Batman out as long as he did for Example in Batman Beyond, Dick is at this point probably also already past his prime.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So two things

1. Batman is going to never be anyone else other Bruce Wayne. Companies are lazy and risk avoidant so they will sliding time scale until they can't they will reboot. Nobody else is ever going to be Batman business wise it doesn't make sense.
    This. As long as there is a Batman, Bruce will always be it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yes. Absolutely. Except for Terry, who is already established as THE future Batman.

And really, people, if you are not reading Batman Beyond, you are doing yourselves a disservice. It's refreshing!
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Terry is basically JPV with a cartoon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Dick isn't and is never going to be heir to the cowl because Terry Mcginnis is the only other Batman.
    But even Terry wll only ever be an Alternate Future character and never be part of the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But even Terry wll only ever be an Alternate Future character and never be part of the main continuity.
    That is true but that doesn't change the fact that he is the only other option for a long serving Batman DC will ever give us unless they gives some other long running out of continuity/alt future batman book.

DC is unlikely to ever retire Bruce Wayne and why would they? As much as I loved Dickbats but Dick is his own man. DC should put effort in promoting him as such not giving us contrasting info.