Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default How long has anyone been a fan?

Since i was 13 when they debuted and loved them as they have a unique mythology of horror, fantasy, action and Lovecraft themes.

I jumped on when the Conqueror Worm was being published, so not right from the start, but pretty close I guess. I've been obsessed, gotten every Hellboy related comic since.
    Last edited by KROENEN; 04-16-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Started reading and collecting in 1996

The Claw of Justice!

I started right around 5 years ago, around Hellboy Day 2014. I saw the cover of Lobster Johnson: Get The Lobster #5 in the Previews catalog and thought it looked really cool, and it had what remains the single best description of a comic book I've ever seen, which is forever burned into my memory: "The Lobster engages in a firefight with a madman in a biplane on top of a zeppelin!". So the next time I went to the comic shop I knew I was going to be picking up Lobster Johnson. They didn't have Get The Lobster #1, only 2 and 3, so I deliberated between getting The Iron Prometheus TPB or the two available issues of Get The Lobster. I ended up picking Get The Lobster, and to this day those two issues are some of my most treasured comics. From there I started reading the other Mignolaverse books, whatever collected editions I could get and subscribing to all of the ongoing books even though I didn't entirely know what was going on (I started Baltimore with Chapel of Bones, which is, uh, probably not the best place to start. I did think it was super cool though and it got me hooked on the rest of the series). Eventually I read it all and got caught up.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

I was a fan of the movies back in the day and started reading the omnibuses a year ago.

April of 2004.

Saw the movie, Saw the movie again the weekend after, picked up the first trade paperback the weekend after, and added all the Mignolaverse books to my pull-list at the local comic shop the week after that (okay, maybe that last bit wasn't exactly one week after - but close).

I started picking up the trades after seeing the trailer for Hellboy II. I didn’t actually see the movies until a couple years later, but have read everything I can get my hands on

Back when the original Del Toro movie came out my favorite comic shop got free tickets to the premier and I was lucky enough to receive a pair just because they knew what a weirdo Hellboy fanboy I am. Be jelly.

Incredible Member

I also saw the movie in 2004 and got into the comics shortly thereafter (pretty much the first comics I had ever read at that point).

Looking back through my collection it looks like I was mistaken, the first Hellboy comic I pulled was the last entry of Wake the Devil in 1996. For some reason it didn't really take with me until later that's why I remember the Conqueror Work more, but there you have it.

On an unrelated note one of my first comic books ever was a Marvel Presents with the back cover drawn by Mignola. I didn't realize that until now, but I loved that cover, could be one of the main reasons I started down the funnybook route in the first place...

1993. Got in on the Death of Superman craze and got hooked.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Since 2003. It has been 15 years, wow... time flies by...

Just before the first HB movie came out, MM did a "show" in NYC where he showed up with some props from the movie & other nice accoutrements for display/sale etc. MM very graciously signed some books for me. Very pleasant fellow.

Overall It was a nice event & It looked like his family was there so I kept my distance when he sat down with them. I don't like being "that douchebag" that insists on riding some guys jock just because he's a celebrity. It's NYC, so y'know...don't be a dick.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 04-26-2019 at 12:00 PM.

I'm a brand new fan. Sure, I knew Hellboy with the Del Toro movies, and I also knew about the character before the movies because I had discovered how much I loved Mike Mignola's art style with the Dracula comic book adaptation. Mignola was always in my favorite artist even though I had never read an Hellboy comic... Anyway, when they announced the Omnibus version of the Hellboy comics, I decided to go all in and I bought ALL the series (minus Lobster Johnson - I'm still waiting for the eventual Omnibus for these as the trades are pretty hard to find in Canada). So, I've been reading the comics since last year, in story-wise chronological order, because it is how I prefer it. I'm now beginning the Hell on Earth/Abe Sapien/Hellboy in Hell story arcs.

I have liked the character for a while, but I just recently have developed a desire to learn more about him and start his story from the beginning.