Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default How long has anyone been a fan?

Since i was 13 when they debuted and loved them as they have a unique mythology of horror, fantasy, action and Lovecraft themes.

I jumped on when the Conqueror Worm was being published, so not right from the start, but pretty close I guess. I've been obsessed, gotten every Hellboy related comic since.
    Last edited by KROENEN; 04-16-2019 at 04:28 AM.

Started reading and collecting in 1996

The Claw of Justice!

I started right around 5 years ago, around Hellboy Day 2014. I saw the cover of Lobster Johnson: Get The Lobster #5 in the Previews catalog and thought it looked really cool, and it had what remains the single best description of a comic book I've ever seen, which is forever burned into my memory: "The Lobster engages in a firefight with a madman in a biplane on top of a zeppelin!". So the next time I went to the comic shop I knew I was going to be picking up Lobster Johnson. They didn't have Get The Lobster #1, only 2 and 3, so I deliberated between getting The Iron Prometheus TPB or the two available issues of Get The Lobster. I ended up picking Get The Lobster, and to this day those two issues are some of my most treasured comics. From there I started reading the other Mignolaverse books, whatever collected editions I could get and subscribing to all of the ongoing books even though I didn't entirely know what was going on (I started Baltimore with Chapel of Bones, which is, uh, probably not the best place to start. I did think it was super cool though and it got me hooked on the rest of the series). Eventually I read it all and got caught up.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

I was a fan of the movies back in the day and started reading the omnibuses a year ago.

April of 2004.

Saw the movie, Saw the movie again the weekend after, picked up the first trade paperback the weekend after, and added all the Mignolaverse books to my pull-list at the local comic shop the week after that (okay, maybe that last bit wasn't exactly one week after - but close).

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I started right around 5 years ago, around Hellboy Day 2014.
    I was not alive then, but I think it is interesting to note that Amy Fisher was the big news story on the first ever Hellboy Day, but after Hellboy dropped not so much.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I was not alive then, but I think it is interesting to note that Amy Fisher was the big news story on the first ever Hellboy Day, but after Hellboy dropped not so much.
    Are you talking about in 1994? Didn't Fisher go to jail in '92?

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Started reading and collecting in 1996
    Do you have everything in your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    I've been obsessed, gotten every Hellboy related comic since.
    I am interested to hear what your recommended order is.

Seed of Destruction #1, 1994.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Heck, I remember the ads for the first Hellboy running in Dark Horse comics at the time. I was in middle school!

We all got hipped to Mike's work on those classic X-Men covers!

BANNED

2003, when they started to publish hellboy in the counrty which i live.

Jacobhaliz

Default Hi everyone!

To the OP, if y

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I am interested to hear what your recommended order is.
    There is a handy timeline put out there by Dark Horse to help guide you if you want to be chronologically correct in reading them in order.

https://www.newsarama.com/42959-hell...-revealed.html

It's hard for me to say personally because as the years went by the universe grew and expanded to other titles. I basically just read as they were published.