Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Which characters could do Classic Strange's job?

They gotta protect the realm by any and all means necessary. That means tech instead of magic, if they need to, since at a high enough level whats the differ3nce?

Well, Quasar DID do it, so there’s one...

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well, Quasar DID do it, so there’s one...
    Quasar was pretty powerful and resourceful, but I don't like his odds against Dormammu.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Quasar was pretty powerful and resourceful, but I don't like his odds against Dormammu.
    Well neither do I - I’m just saying he was Protector of the Universe, which is basically what the thread was asking.

Astonishing Member

If we can step outside of Marvel Urza could probably do it, but Earth would be a blasted wasteland afterwards.

Eternity, or possibly Loki posing as Eternity, told Hank Pym that he is Earth's Scientist Supreme. But the idea of Pym trying to defend earth from Dormammu seems really sad.

Eternity, or possibly Loki posing as Eternity, told Hank Pym that he is Earth's Scientist Supreme. But the idea of Pym trying to defend earth from Dormammu seems really sad.
    I dunno, I could totally buy Pym secretly encasing The Dorm in a pocket dimension which he keeps in his pocket that is a fake version of the real 616 universe, so Dormammu blissfully goes on his way conquering through 616a, besting Faux-din in mortal combat before moving up to beat Galactors and Eter-not-y.

He could always ask Eon or Epoch for help I guess.

Spectacular Member

Well by that logic does The Doctor count? Also, Sharp's wife needs mentioning here...

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I wanna ask are they just suddenly handed the cloak and slippers with a note saying "It's your problem now! -Dr. S" or do they get the same training that Stephen did?

Although in Stark's defense, I will point out that one thing he has over guys like say, Reed Richards, is that he's flexible enough to work with magic.
    Stark is going to need tons of training just to use magical artifacts. For actual sorcery, going by how magic has been presented in the past at Marvel, he's going to need not only tons of training, but actual aptitude and massive amounts of willpower to manage it. I mean, anyone with training can use SOME magic in the Marvel universe. But there's a difference between that and 'good enough to be Someone™', just like anyone can learn to play the piano, but only a select few are real geniuses. Mordo, as an example, being one of those 'real geniuses' when it comes to sorcery, Doom being another.

And then there's 'best all-around', which is Strange (noted by the Ancient One as possessing the greatest aptitude for sorcery that he'd ever seen, and having willpower through the ceiling).

Stark? Is not that. Even with the same magical training Stephen had, he shouldn't match Doom or Mordo for magical oomph, much less Stephen. And without that, he's not going to bootstrap himself up to those levels with tech.

Granted, Marvel could do one of its stupid 'we don't care how magic has been presented in the past, it's THIS way now!' and claim it's all about rote memorization of incantations and gang-signs, so Stark should be just fine. But really, he shouldn't be. Even with Tech+Sorcery, he's not Dr. Doom. And his issues aren't 'Class 100 enemies', or 'World-spanning stuff' or the like. His issues will be beings like 'Dormammu', who would find something like a weaponized Dyson sphere as 'clever, for a rodent'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    Well by that logic does The Doctor count? Also, Sharp's wife needs mentioning here...
    O_O

She wouldn't be interested in taking the job (too much trouble), but I'll let her know she has someone voting for her. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    They gotta protect the realm by any and all means necessary. That means tech instead of magic, if they need to, since at a high enough level whats the differ3nce?
    Aw, I was hoping to find out how good Classic Strange was as a surgeon before he became a wizard.

Astonishing Member

Iron Man did it in a 'What If?' I think.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

what about doom? he's a pretty good magic slinger.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Iron Man did it in a 'What If?' I think.
    I think this was "What if Dr Doom became sorcerer supreme?"

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Not many. Doom might get away with it due to having decent magic (and thus being CAPABLE of figuring out when there's a problem) and using his tech to back up the magic. But it's a full-time job, and he'd have to give up his villainy.

I'm having problems seeing Stark managing alone.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate