Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SydWalters View Post
    I guess that makes me sound old....

What i mean is, most movies are written to have some deep, purposeful "Message" behind them. Even today's Avenger stuff kinda go all friendy dramatic: love your coworkers etc... I suppose TRANSFORMERS skip the message serving part....

Anyway, I think back to Raiders of the lost Ark, maybe even Star Wars, where they did stuff that lead to other stuff, the ride was fun getting there, they kicked butt in the end, and it was over. Almost NO messaged pushed on you, just a fun, entertaining ride.

Have movie scripts gotten too serious for themselves to have fun in it?
    Maybe I'm over thinking this?
    I think Star Wars had its share of messages and themes to share for those to care to see it.

But ultimately now, like any era really has it's share of movies which are purely brainless pop corn flicks, as well as movies with a lot more substances. Or messages or whatever.

For what it's worth, I think movies are a lot of fun these days.

If Marvel movies have to much of message for you . I don't know what to say I mean you can't have Nazis in a movie it does have a some sort of message so that no for Raiders of the Lost Arc not having a message, And Star Wars is literally fighting an evil galactic empire and there is lots of message to be found in that.

The only difference between movies now and movies then is the internet,The internet sharing ideas people get see and learn more about theories about things. Captain Marvel didn't have any in your face messages yes women empowerment was a theme but it is not like bashed over your head, You can find a message about refugees as well but you have go looking for that analogy as well. It was just a fun movie for me only in deep breakdowns from reading did I see some of the messages. These movies aren't Get Out but to each their own I guess

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The best movies are fun AND have something meaningful to say. It's always been that way. Historically I don't think movies have gotten more preachy or self-important recently than in the past. Maybe less so. If you have a story with no message at all, you don't have a real movie... you have a Friedberg-Seltzer movie.

The BEST best movies are ones that are not only fun to watch, but fun to remember watching.

Deadpool is too serious?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 04-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

just saw "Bumblebee" and it was fun. it was easily the best Transformers movie ever made. (full disclosure: I walked away from the Transformers animated film after Megatron killed Prime and got transformed by Unicron... just didn't care about the rabble that was left behind)

I don't think films are really all that different now than they were in the past. the way we interact with films at a cultural level is different now - with the media, social media, word-of-mouth, and all that interacting with each other much faster and more intensely. in this way some movies that are just serviceable adventure films can now be invested with 'meaning' that was clearly never intended to be part of the film.

movies are still just as dumb/smart and fun/serious as they've always been.

Yea I feel like movies are as fun as ever. Dont see how a message makes it less fun anyway depending on the message. Unless it's a political thing. Like if your conservative and you watch a movie with a very Liberal message maybe that could be an issue iono I dont really even see that. I have a blast with movies now just as much as when I was a kid Except now u have my childhood idols brought to life by Marvel and DC. I mean I was smiling so hard during Ragnarok that my face literaly hurt by the time the move was out. I compare that to childhood movie that made me smile and it's like Batman 89. Which is hard for me to watch now cause how bad the fighting,Costumes, and FX aged. But that's all relative in the early 90s when I saw that as a kid it was the most amazing thing ever. Wasnt a fan of Batmans returns as a kid. Think it creeped me out

Imagine thinking that Raiders of the Lost Ark had no messages.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Imagine thinking that Raiders of the Lost Ark had no messages.
    The message was: when somebody opens the Ark, DON'T LOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I in this way some movies that are just serviceable adventure films can now be invested with 'meaning' that was clearly never intended to be part of the film.
    I mean your clearly wrong since even the most basic form of storytelling has a legitimate meaning in it even if its something simple but whatever.

Incredible Member

What i mean is, most movies are written to have some deep, purposeful "Message" behind them. Even today's Avenger stuff kinda go all friendy dramatic: love your coworkers etc... I suppose TRANSFORMERS skip the message serving part....

Anyway, I think back to Raiders of the lost Ark, maybe even Star Wars, where they did stuff that lead to other stuff, the ride was fun getting there, they kicked butt in the end, and it was over. Almost NO messaged pushed on you, just a fun, entertaining ride.

Bruh, just go watch Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Avengers has a “love your co-workers” message?
    Yeah, that's perplexing. Hawkeye would love to disagree there. Hulk and Thor showed how much they disagree with that message.

Maybe you weren't thinking enough? The old Superman serials had way more blatant messages than most superhero movies today. Adam West Batman satirized them. There's entire academia about the messages of Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, starting from when those movies were very first released.

Frankly, I'd be afraid of movies without a kind of message behind it, because those themes are what guide the story and the writer. It's the writer's take on reality. It always has been, from swashbuckling Zorro movies, from silent movies, from plays, from epic Greek poems of centuries ago.

Conversely, I'd be really afraid of anyone who could watch a Captain America serial from the 1940s and not get the idea that, y'know, Nazis should be punched. Like, how dense would one have to be to miss that? It's not rocket science. (It's the same kind of density that fails to see, or an obtuseness that willfully ignores, that Star Trek had always been a social justice show from its start in 1966).

You must not be watching the Mission: Impossible series. Those movies are great.