Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellboy 2019

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Default Hellboy 2019

Hear this movie is a complete disaster.

If Rotten Tomatoes had a Certified Rotten it would make that list. Looks like it is bombing at the box office too.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Honestly, I'd probably have given it a watch this weekend if it was playing at the nearby theatre. But it isn't, and I'm not going to take a bus just to make my own conclusions on a film that didn't look great in the first place.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The facebook ads kept emphasizing how much gore is in it. That felt kinda...off to me, cause gore doesn't mean a movie is good per se. Ah gore and an R-rating, they kept driving that home.

BANNED

Is it weird that I didn't think the Del Toro movies were even a decade old?

I don't know what it was, but I just never really felt Harbour as Hellboy from all the trailers and stuff. He just felt off.

I guess it doens't help that I associate his look and voice so much with Ron Perlman, but Harbour's Hellboy just doesn't seem all that compelling.

The fact that it's still opening weekend and Hellboy fans have pretty much moved on from this movie and are far more concerned with the next issue of the comic book should tell you everything you need to know about the film!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

JJ and stuckmann have similar thoughts on it: harbour is good as hellboy but nowhere near as good as pearlman. CGI is at best passible and at worst, laughable. pacing issues all over the place. script is ok. editing.........someone needs to be fired. the gore was gore for gore.

It just sucks that pretty much unless you're DC or marvel your movie is not going to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It just sucks that pretty much unless you're DC or marvel your movie is not going to work out.
    Mostly because their writers/directors are stuck in the 90s.

Extraordinary Member

Eh I plan on seeing this but it's just not a good idea to try follow behind a master like Del Toro. Might as well of just let him finish the trilogy.

No. #3 at the Box Office, losing to Shazam (#1 second week in a row) and newcomer Little (#2). As of the time of this writing (1:20pm) its only showing the domestic gross not the worldwide gross, which might come later on today. But domestic as of right now is a bit over 12mil on a 50mil budget.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh I plan on seeing this but it's just not a good idea to try follow behind a master like Del Toro. Might as well of just let him finish the trilogy.
    Except that nobody wanted to give him the money to make the movie he wanted to make. He also happily worked on other projects for the ten years following The Golden Army, and any potential 3rd Hellboy sat among his many many abandoned projects.

People act like this **** was yanked out from underneath him, but it really wasn't. A decade later, you don't really have a stake to claim.

That's no defense of the quality of this reboot, because it sounds awful, but the two are hardly related.

Saw it as someone with no real interest in Hellboy (beyond going to see a movie, natch). I've never read the comics. I did enjoy the first Del Toro movie, but remember being disappointed with the sequel. Haven't seen either of them again since their first (and only) viewings.

And I thought this was OK. Nothing special, but not the worst movie I've seen this year. Some of the CGI is really bad, but aside from that, it's an entertaining enough film. I won't be rushing to buy it on blu-ray when it comes out. But if it eventually rocks up on Netflix or Prime and I'm at a loose end one day, I could watch it again.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I Saw the Movie the other Night and like with most movies now adays I go with with lowered expectations and I ignore most reviewers until I see it and Like with many other movies before I am glad I did with Hellboy 2019 like the others.

I enjoyed it for what it gave, I expected a wild ride that was not going to be the deep, well put together classic trip we are used to with the MCU, I got alittle most then what I expected. I enjoyed the unique journey, characters, Villains and the unique world Hellboy presents itself in and like the original 2 from the 2000s it makes me interested in reading the comics and learning more about this world, so for that and a few enjoyable laughs and some moments for what it was I enjoyed it to an above decent degree and I was glad I say it.

Yea not the best movie of the year so far but IMO not a in teens it is on RT with Critics, it is around mid 60% in fan reactions so it is doing maybe something right with groups of fans. But if it goes down it goes down.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!