Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Dang. I totally thought Green Lantern debuted in 1941, not 1940...
    Say what?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Jay Garrick = Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)

Alan Scott = All-American Comics #16 (July 1940)

Others you mentioned:
    Hawkman = Flash Comics #1
    (Also the first appearance of Johnny Thunder and his Thunderbolt)

the original Captain Marvel / now Shazam! = Whiz Comics #2 (February 1940) <from Fawcett Comics>

Robin (Dick Grayson) = Detective Comics #38 (April 1940)

Say what?
    Then explain this:

GREEN LANTERN #19 (Dec 1991): why is this billed on the cover as GL's 50th anniversary?

Why would DC wait 1.5 years to celebrate Alan Scott's milestone?

I've learned not to take Wikipedia's word as gospel.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Last year, we had Superman's big 8-0.

This year, we have Batman becoming an octogenarian.

Next year, we will have

- Shazam!

- The Flash

- Hawkman (& Hawkgirl)

- Robin

among others I'm currently forgetting.

None of them will have a 1000th issue to mark the occasion, but surely all of them will get something?

My question is, in 2020, which DC character is getting the biggest 80th anniversary celebration? And how do you think they will mark it?

Me: take the SITARI character over the MITURI characters.

The Flash, Hawkman/girl, and Robin are each a "Multiple Identity That Usually Replaces Itself" character, while only Shazam is a "Single Identity That Always Revamps Itself" character.

Shazam FTW here, IMHO.

Also, what other DC characters are celebrating their 80th anniversary in 2020?
    I wanna say Batman because that's just what DC does, but I haven't heard as much hype compared to his 75th anniversary. Although that's probably because I don't pay as much attention as I used to...

Didn't they let out a bat swarm in NYC or something as a celebration?

Then explain this:

GREEN LANTERN #19 (Dec 1991): why is this billed on the cover as GL's 50th anniversary?

Why would DC wait 1.5 years to celebrate Alan Scott's milestone?

I've learned not to take Wikipedia's word as gospel.
    Is it possible they were thinking of when Alan Scott got his own GL series? The very first issue of GL came out sometime in September 1941 (cover date was listed as Fall).
    Last edited by Lirica; 04-19-2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: a word

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I wanna say Batman because that's just what DC does, but I haven't heard as much hype compared to his 75th anniversary. Although that's probably because I don't pay as much attention as I used to...

Didn't they let out a bat swarm in NYC or something as a celebration?
    We got a big birthday video and a few animated movies so far at least...

Welp, forget it: none of these aforementioned folks will be the top 80th anniversary next year. The best any of them can hope for is the bronze medal.

Because the Top 2 celebrations of 8 decades from DC are these two:

Nobody's getting a bigger 80th anniversary celebration in 2020 than the Joker and Lex Luthor.

How do you think DC will celebrate the World's Vilest next year?

One would hope (even think) that Dick would be there, being the quintessential sidekick/legacy character.

But one look at what's been happening to him in his own series, as well as the other members of his generation, you get the distinct impression certain someones at the top would rather that group not even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    One would hope (even think) that Dick would be there, being the quintessential sidekick/legacy character.

But one look at what's been happening to him in his own series, as well as the other members of his generation, you get the distinct impression certain someones at the top would rather that group not even exist.
    Or else they may just observe the 80th anniversary of "Robin" the same way they observed the 75th anniversaries of "Flash" and "Green Lantern" back in 2015: focusing mostly on the current character with that identity.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

To be honest, I think they'll each get a month of the year where they'll be all over variant issues and that's about it. The Hawks, despite my love for them, are the least likely to get this treatment, but I hope at least some love is shown.

Or else they may just observe the 80th anniversary of "Robin" the same way they observed the 75th anniversaries of "Flash" and "Green Lantern" back in 2015: focusing mostly on the current character with that identity.

Major, I know you love the Golden Age iterations of these identities (I do too), but to be entirely fair, Jay and Alan are nowhere near as popular as their successors. Dick Grayson, however, very much is. I can see him having much more presence in a Robin anniversary than Jay/Alan because those covers would simply be more likely to move units due to character popularity.

Unlike how they were trying to bury Wally's existence during the Flash 75th, they're still publishing proper Nightwing variants even during this Ric phase. It won't be just Damian.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-12-2019 at 07:26 PM.

So, here are the latest predictions for 80th anniversary celebrations in 2020 for DC:

8. Hawkman/Hawkgirl
    7. Green Lantern (Alan/Hal/Guy/John/Kyle/Jessica)
    6. Catwoman
    5. Flash (Jay/Barry/Wally)
    4. Robin (Dick/Jason/Tim/Damian)
    3. Shazam
    2. Luthor
    1. Joker

That seem about right in terms of DC's priorities? It's fairly Bat-centric, but there's some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    . . . Major, I know you love the Golden Age iterations of these identities (I do too), but to be entirely fair, Jay and Alan are nowhere near as popular as their successors. Dick Grayson, however, very much is. I can see him having much more presence in a Robin anniversary than Jay/Alan because those covers would simply be more likely to move units due to character popularity.

Unlike how they were trying to bury Wally's existence during the Flash 75th, they're still publishing proper Nightwing variants even during this Ric phase. It won't be just Damian.
    Please note: what I said was:
    . . . they may just observe the 80th anniversary of "Robin" the same way they observed the 75th anniversaries of "Flash" and "Green Lantern" back in 2015: focusing mostly on the current character with that identity.
    DC seems to be observe anniversaries of a character's name, not as much as who was the first character that appeared with that name. I'm sure Dick will get some attention (or will he still be "Ric" at that point?), but at the moment,
    Damian = Robin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

DC seems to ignore most big anniversaries for most characters unless they are one of the big 3 these days. I don't know if they think it makes there character seem old or what, but for the last 15 or so years they just don't celebrate them like they did in the past. I mean the the Legion turned 60 a few years ago and didn't get any sort of celebration. Even when they turned 50 back in 2006 DC didn't do anything. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the only one they seem to celebrate anymore. I mean Aquaman turned 75 a few years ago and nothing was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    DC seems to ignore most big anniversaries for most characters unless they are one of the big 3 these days. I don't know if they think it makes there character seem old or what, but for the last 15 or so years they just don't celebrate them like they did in the past. I mean the the Legion turned 60 a few years ago and didn't get any sort of celebration. Even when they turned 50 back in 2006 DC didn't do anything. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the only one they seem to celebrate anymore. I mean Aquaman turned 75 a few years ago and nothing was mentioned.
    From a previous Aquaman Appreciation thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy
    Aquaman origin story (originally from More Fun Comics #73)
    as reprinted in Secret Origins #7 (October-November 1974):
    That issue of More Fun Comics was cover-dated November 1941, so the 75th anniversary would have been in 2016.

He didn't really have as much clout before his successful movie came out in late 2018.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

He didn't really have as much clout before his successful movie came out in late 2018.
    Clout has nothing to do with it. He turned 75 which is a huge anniversary for any character and they didn't do anything. Compare that to say 20 years ago and that would have been a big deal regardless. Didio hate anything that makes DC seem old.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    If we don't have a proper Wally and a proper Jay in 2020, I'd prefer that they ignore the Flash anniversary, honestly.
    Yep. It's sad what Dc has been doing to two biggest legacies listed, Robin and Flash. I am really between anxious and don't even care.