Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who will have the biggest 80th anniversary in 2020?

Last year, we had Superman's big 8-0.

This year, we have Batman becoming an octogenarian.

Next year, we will have

- Shazam!

- The Flash

- Hawkman (& Hawkgirl)

- Robin

among others I'm currently forgetting.

None of them will have a 1000th issue to mark the occasion, but surely all of them will get something?

My question is, in 2020, which DC character is getting the biggest 80th anniversary celebration? And how do you think they will mark it?

Me: take the SITARI character over the MITURI characters.

The Flash, Hawkman/girl, and Robin are each a "Multiple Identity That Usually Replaces Itself" character, while only Shazam is a "Single Identity That Always Revamps Itself" character.

Shazam FTW here, IMHO.

Also, what other DC characters are celebrating their 80th anniversary in 2020?

Of all of them...I think Shazam might get something to follow up the movie hype/success, Flash is doing well so he might get something in either the comics or TV show (Williamson's run might reach a major climax or something), I don't see them doing a big anniversary for the Hawks, and I don't see them making a big deal about Robin's anniversary again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Of all of them...I think Shazam might get something to follow up the movie hype/success, Flash is doing well so he might get something in either the comics or TV show (Williamson's run might reach a major climax or something), I don't see them doing a big anniversary for the Hawks, and I don't see them making a big deal about Robin's anniversary again.
    But at this point, an "80th Anniversary" Flash celebration would most likely continue to focus on BARRY again, who'll only have been around for 64 years at that point.

Just look how much attention they focused on Jay back in 2015 (the 75th anniversary):

Just ONE variant cover!
    (Hell, Alan Scott got two variant covers for the GL 75th anniversary!)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd imagine THE FLASH!

I sure hope SHAZAM! gets some love too.

Maybe something for Shazam!, if only a reintroduction of a Whiz Comics title. But it's an 80th, big, sure, but not round enough to matter. The 1,000th issues of Action and Detective were huge, as they should be. I also expect something for Detective 1,026 (1,000 issues of Batman) coming out next year.

My best guess is something for Shazam! and Wonder Woman gets stuff in 2021.

Mighty Member

Williamson will reach issue 100 in his run next year. He's done some big important arc every 25 issues or so (Running Scared, Flash War, Flash: Year One) often drawn by Howard Porter, so I imagine he have something big up his sleeve this time around too. Whether this will tie into Flash's 80th remains to be seen, but he's got multiple speedsters he's hinted he has future plans for, a few big villains who've been working behind the scenes. It would be cool if he had a big arc leading up to issue 100 that celebrated The Flash's history and maybe reunited the family. It would be cool to see Barry, Wally, Bart, Wallace (and hopefully Jay, Irey, Jai, Jesse and Max) return to face off against Crisis and Hunter Zolomon.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But at this point, an "80th Anniversary" Flash celebration would most likely continue to focus on BARRY again, who'll only have been around for 64 years at that point.

Just look how much attention they focused on Jay back in 2015 (the 75th anniversary):

Just ONE variant cover!
    DC: all right, we'll release the JSA ongoing book!

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    . . . Next year, we will have

- Shazam!

- The Flash

- Hawkman (& Hawkgirl)

- Robin

among others I'm currently forgetting.

None of them will have a 1000th issue to mark the occasion, but surely all of them will get something?
    How many of them got a variant cover month or something to celebrate their 75th anniversary back in 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Just ONE variant cover!
    I think Barry will definitely be in a leading role, but I think if Williamson was ever to do a 80th anniversary Flash story, he would definitely acknowledge the other Flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Barry will definitely be in a leading role, but I think if Williamson was ever to do a 80th anniversary Flash story, he would definitely acknowledge the other Flashes.
    If TPTB let him do so with more than a part of a panel or something . . .

It would be a nice way to celebrate Hawkman and Hawkgirl's 80th if we finally see them reunited in 2020, but I guess that depends a lot on Venditti's willingness to write a female lead and Snder's willingness to end his J'onn/Kendra ship.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Maybe something for Shazam!, if only a reintroduction of a Whiz Comics title. But it's an 80th, big, sure, but not round enough to matter. The 1,000th issues of Action and Detective were huge, as they should be. I also expect something for Detective 1,026 (1,000 issues of Batman) coming out next year.

My best guess is something for Shazam! and Wonder Woman gets stuff in 2021.
    It'll be interesting to see what DC does around Detective #1026. Back in 1983 they celebrated Detective #526 as his 500th appearance. Now it's a little more complicated when you remember a zero issue, a 1,000,000 issue, and the fact that Batman hasn't actually appeared in every issue since then. My guess is that they'll sweep it under the rug and celebrate #1026.

Yeah, Detective was Batwoman's book at one point wasn't it? And a Bat family book at another earlier point in time?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Detective was Batwoman's book at one point wasn't it? And a Bat family book at another earlier point in time?
    When it was a "Bat family book" it still had Batman in it. (The original Batman Family title didn't always have Batman in it, but towards the very end it did when it went to $1.00 size, and then Batman's Detective Comics feature spot continued when the book was combined with Batman Family.)

Spectacular Member

Changed my mind: DC will probably celebrate Detective #1027, not #1026. They mistakenly celebrated #627 as Batman's 600th appearance, and then made a big deal about volume 2 #27. (Sorry to kind of hijack the thread.)