Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Default Is now the time for a "Spider-Team Up" book?

So back in the February Sales Ranking Thread one of the discussions that ended up popping up was Friendly Neighborhood's performance in comparison to how well Spectacular had done before it. Friendly Neighborhood's seemingly steep decline led to the question of what does a "Satellite Peter Parker Book" looks like now that Spencer is writing Amazing?

It occured to me last night that there's a lot of Spider-characters floating in limbo. Cindy, Anya, Jessica, Kaine, Ben, Miguel. And that doesn't even touch some of the associated heroes with the Spider-Family like Prowler and Cloak & Dagger. So maybe, instead of a second Back-to-Basics book for Peter Parker, instead the book can focus on him teaming up with other members of the Spider-Gamily. Like a smaller scale Marvel Team Up where the co-star rotates out each arc. It would at least give these other characters who are in limbo some needed focus.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

iMan 42s

It's something I'm not sure why isn't done because with rotating creative teams you can sell a trade's worth of materials with different focuses and maybe sell a product people otherwise wouldn't have picked up.

Maybe condense it to two or three parts per-team up, have try-outs for different creative teams, and have a variety of different stories in them ranging from the street of New York to the Cosmic worlds to keep things fresh.
    Alternatively, they could do something similar to spiderverse/geddon where instead of multiple issues we have a large book (maybe graphic novel format?) highlighting characters we don't normally see and using them to do the comic equivalent of a summer blockbuster.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

They are always trying out differing takes on Spider-man team up books...I'm sure they will continue to do so.

However, I would not base the need for one off of low sales of FNSM. FWIW, Spectacular really didn't sell that well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It occured to me last night that there's a lot of Spider-characters floating in limbo. Cindy, Anya, Jessica, Kaine, Ben, Miguel. And that doesn't even touch some of the associated heroes with the Spider-Family like Prowler and Cloak & Dagger. So maybe, instead of a second Back-to-Basics book for Peter Parker, instead the book can focus on him teaming up with other members of the Spider-Gamily. Like a smaller scale Marvel Team Up where the co-star rotates out each arc. It would at least give these other characters who are in limbo some needed focus.
    I DEFINITELY don't see that happening when Spider-Man/Deadpool can't even keep sales above the cancellation mark. Deadpool is the hottest character at Marvel and has been for quite a while now, so if a Spidey Team-Up book co-starring him can't sell decently, then what hope does one that pairs him up with C and D-List characters like Prowler and Anya have...?

Astonishing Member

Team-Up books aren’t as profitable now that team-ups have more or less become the norm when it comes to superhero stories. Might as just be a main book.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Team-Up books aren’t as profitable now that team-ups have more or less become the norm when it comes to superhero stories. Might as just be a main book.
    Great point. Team-Ups used to be a BIG selling point back in the day, but now we are in an era were practically every Marvel superhero has been an Avenger before or been on SOME team at some point. Basically, not many team-ups left to see, really.

Depends who he teams up with and what sort of story they star in is my answer.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't know if yet another Spider-Man team-up book or team book would do all that well in today's market, but if they did I'd make Miles the lead instead of Peter since he seems to gel with other Spider-Heroes better then Peter does.

Marvel nowadays is smart enough not to do another Peter team-up book. Because in August, they're launching Conan team-up instead!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Great point. Team-Ups used to be a BIG selling point back in the day, but now we are in an era were practically every Marvel superhero has been an Avenger before or been on SOME team at some point. Basically, not many team-ups left to see, really.
    Yeah, true. Even Kamala Khan's new Marvel Team-Up series hasn't done anything new yet. The first arc was with Peter, who she met before in his book not long after her debut, and the second arc involves Captain Marvel, who she's met several times.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, true. Even Kamala Khan's new Marvel Team-Up series hasn't done anything new yet. The first arc was with Peter, who she met before in his book not long after her debut, and the second arc involves Captain Marvel, who she's met several times.
    Although...I love how they did the flip book format to show the two different sides of their story and how they meet. I think that's so cool to do for a team-up book.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Marvel nowadays is smart enough not to do another Peter team-up book. Because in August, they're launching Conan team-up instead!
    Plus most Peter books end up being team-up books anyways .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Plus most Peter books end up being team-up books anyways .
    No, no they don't. Spencer disproves that, and only Slott really did that (much to my chagrin).

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    No, no they don't. Spencer disproves that, and only Slott really did that (much to my chagrin).
    Well, with "most" I was most referring to the Slott era but point made .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, with "most" I was most referring to the Slott era but point made .
    Well alrighty then! :P