Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Newsweek’s deep dive into Spider-Man lore

I have to say, I’m impressed. It’s rare you see a mainstream magazine like friggin’ ‘Newsweek’ do such a deep dive into the convoluted and obscure continuity of a comic character like Spidey. The author seems to have done more thorough research than many of the actual writers who take over long-running comics these days. I mean, he references robot parents, the mystery of baby May and even Peter talking about killing MJ with his radioactive “bodily fluids” in ‘Spider-Man: Reign.’

https://www.newsweek.com/avengers-en...y-suit-1403014
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 04-23-2019 at 05:11 AM.

BANNED

The comic somehow seemed to miss Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows, the Newspaper Strip which all showed Peter's future as fairly hunky-dory. Spider-Girl lasted longer than the Clone Saga and Reign you know, as did RYV and the newspaper strip.

The article obviously was trying to make Spider-Man into a Grim Dark thing and so took that approach in its selection of material. They also missed the memo...neither Clone Saga or Reign are considered good stories, nor OMD. There's no sense of judgment there. The reason you can buy that Batman has a dark and bleak future is that The Dark Knight Returns, and more recently Batman Beyond, happen to be excellent stories and achievements. The fact that "grim dark" stuff like Clone Saga, Reign, and OMD is crap is one among many reasons why such an approach just doesn't befit Spider-Man.

The article seems to be going for an angle. Trying to insist that the MCU make their Spider-Man dark and so on...

Astonishing Member

He said the clone saga was “loathed.” Not sure what more you want.

I don't mind being the Clone Saga's solitary fan.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I have mixed feelings about the Clone Saga - I love Ben Reilly and Kane as for what else happened not so much.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-23-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

The small stories were better than the overall myth arc.

BANNED

I'd rather read the Clone Saga than the last ten years, plus they're the back story for, in my opinion, Peter's definitive future (Spider-Girl)

Astonishing Member

I like it too. Revolutionary Jack seems to bring up how much he hates it a lot. Lad is a bit obsessed with it for someone who claims to hate it so much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    My post was talking about the overall point of the article, and I also said stuff against Reign too and not the Clone Saga so why focus on that. You did start this thread to have people discuss the article and overall points, right? That's what I've been doing. I don't think it is appropriate for you or others to bring up my past opinions in this current context and situation.

The article is basically talking about Spider-Man in Endgame and beyond. Not about the Clone Saga in particular. And the future direction of those stories and bringing up stuff in the continuity since the 90s and beyond about how Spider-Man's future seems to end badly. I pointed out that's not the case. Since you have long-running AU like Spider-Girl, RYV, the newspaper strip. Obviously the article is biased and looking for the stuff that supports its thesis and ignores everything. And judgment is important because if Spider-Man's future is bleak and dark, then stories that take that tack should be great but in the case of Reign they aren't, so that invalidates the idea.

I happen to be a big fan of the First Clone Saga by Gerry Conway FWIW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    My post was talking about the overall point of the article, and I also said stuff against Reign too and not the Clone Saga so why focus on that. You did start this thread to have people discuss the article and overall points, right? That's what I've been doing. I don't think it is appropriate for you or others to bring up my past opinions in this current context and situation.

The article is basically talking about Spider-Man in Endgame and beyond. Not about the Clone Saga in particular. And the future direction of those stories and bringing up stuff in the continuity since the 90s and beyond about how Spider-Man's future seems to end badly. I pointed out that's not the case. Since you have long-running AU like Spider-Girl, RYV, the newspaper strip. Obviously the article is biased and looking for the stuff that supports its thesis and ignores everything. And judgment is important because if Spider-Man's future is bleak and dark, then stories that take that tack should be great but in the case of Reign they aren't, so that invalidates the idea.

I happen to be a big fan of the First Clone Saga by Gerry Conway FWIW.
    Yeah, not what we’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The comic somehow seemed to miss Spider-Girl, Renew Your Vows, the Newspaper Strip which all showed Peter's future as fairly hunky-dory. Spider-Girl lasted longer than the Clone Saga and Reign you know, as did RYV and the newspaper strip.

The article obviously was trying to make Spider-Man into a Grim Dark thing and so took that approach in its selection of material. They also missed the memo...neither Clone Saga or Reign are considered good stories, nor OMD. There's no sense of judgment there. The reason you can buy that Batman has a dark and bleak future is that The Dark Knight Returns, and more recently Batman Beyond, happen to be excellent stories and achievements. The fact that "grim dark" stuff like Clone Saga, Reign, and OMD is crap is one among many reasons why such an approach just doesn't befit Spider-Man.

The article seems to be going for an angle. Trying to insist that the MCU make their Spider-Man dark and so on...
    Reign is on multiple best of lists, so by some metrics, it is objectively considered pretty good.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...ider-man-reign

https://www.cbr.com/50-greatest-spid...s-master-list/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Reign is on multiple best of lists, so by some metrics, it is objectively considered pretty good.

And that alone shows me why critics are never worth listening to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Here are the lists where it shows up in the worst Spider-Man stories:

http://www.heromachine.com/2016/09/1...an-storylines/
    https://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/11...esides_the.php
    https://screenrant.com/spider-man-co...e-moments-wtf/

And I don't see where "objectively considered pretty good" as anything to do with this. At best it reflects a fan consensus, an editorial consensus among a publication, or one or two writers expressing interest.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Spider-Man is one of those heroes whose future works best when it's balanced, not excessively bleak or happy.

Spider-Girl gets it right. Peter has his share of tragedy and triumph. He loses his leg and his heroic identity, but it's an opportunity for him to raise a family full-time and work for the police department. And his greatest accomplishment--raising a daughter with strong values--brings him joy and stress.

J.M. DeMatteis also had a really great take on Peter's future in ASM 700. He raised a family with MJ, eventually retired to be a better father and husband, then MJ passed away in their golden years. He helps his granddaughter raise his great-grandson after the father leaves the picture. So whatever happens, Peter will always have joy and sadness and challenges that he rises to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The small stories were better than the overall myth arc.
    It was kind of all over the place, but it was a fun ride for the times.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion