Amazing Member

Default Where is the best place to buy comics online?

Does any one have recommendations to a website to buy (in print, current) comics?

I've tried Ebay a few times with less than stellar results. Getting comics in the condition they're listed as never seems to happen. I've tried midtown but they take soooooooo long to process your order and send stuff.

Amazon just seems like the worst option all around.

Can some one let me into the loop as to where to buy comics? My "local" shop is an hour drive away so it's not always an option.

I was going to recommend Amazon, as I tend to buy only trades these days and it has worked out pretty well for me. However, it seems you had bad experiences.

Good luck.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Valcrist View Post
    . . . I've tried midtown but they take soooooooo long to process your order and send stuff . . .
    I don't buy comics online, I just have a store where I have a "hold" file until I get around to going in and buying them (which is maybe once-a-month or so).

But maybe a few questions to ask you so others can help make recommendations:
    * How many books / how much money would you tend to spend in an average week? An average month?
    * How long do you think is "too long" to have your order processed/shipped/delivered to you?
    * How much are you willing to spend on the shipping? (I thought some places charged more for weekly shipments vs. sending everything together once a month.)
    * Where do you live? (U.S.? Canada? Elsewhere?)

Amazing Member

How many books / how much money would you tend to spend in an average week? An average month?

I tend to place orders of about 4-6 books at once. Considering I'm buying current stuff and not crazy variants, they tend to run 25-30$ per order. I don't buy comics every week, but to answer the question between 100-120$ per month.

* How long do you think is "too long" to have your order processed/shipped/delivered to you?

For the processing anything beyond 4-5 days seems absurd to me. I think 2-3 days is reasonable. Companies taking 2 weeks to process and order and send some thing is not the way I prefer to do business. Please note I'm only counting the time it takes the company from placing an order until the point they ship it out. Not the actual time it takes to go through the mail.

How much are you willing to spend on the shipping? (I thought some places charged more for weekly shipments vs. sending everything together once a month.)
    * Where do you live? (U.S.? Canada? Elsewhere?)

Between 5-10$ is fair to me for first class shipping. I try to consolidate my orders to get the most for 1 flat rate shipping fee.

California USA
    Last edited by Valcrist; 04-14-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I was going to recommend Amazon, as I tend to buy only trades these days and it has worked out pretty well for me. However, it seems you had bad experiences.

Good luck.
    I use Amazon for everything and definitely had a few bad experiences but far more good than bad. I could see ordering trades from them, just not individual issues.

To elaborate, I consider them the worst option because of the limited selection, very little item specifics, and the inability to combine shipping.
    Last edited by Valcrist; 04-14-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valcrist View Post
    I use Amazon for everything and definitely had a few bad experiences but far more good than bad. I could see ordering trades from them, just not individual issues.

To elaborate, I consider them the worst option because of the limited selection, very little item specifics, and the inability to combine shipping.
    Ah, I see. Yeah...I honestly don't expect them to have much in the way of single issue selections. I look at them a lot like book stores. Yeah, you could go to a book store like Coles or Chapters, but they'll have mostly trades. Very unlikely that you'll find single issues.

I do have a couple of local comic book stores I could go to, but my reading preference is more of getting a bunch of issues in one sitting, rather than waiting a month in between. Binge mentality or what have you.

I bought a ton of trades like Empowered, Secret War, the Hickman F4 run on trades through Amazon and they are delivered so quickly.

Once again, I wish you luck in finding something better.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I've used G-Mart in the past. http://www.g-mart.com/

I currently get my comics through http://playthegamereadthestory.com/ They do a subscription service for me. When my order gets larger enough for free shipping, which I think is $30 or $35, they send me an invoice and I pay via Paypal. Get my comics a week later. Which the week is travel time, they ship within a day of me paying.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I've used G-Mart in the past. http://www.g-mart.com/

I currently get my comics through http://playthegamereadthestory.com/ They do a subscription service for me. When my order gets larger enough for free shipping, which I think is $30 or $35, they send me an invoice and I pay via Paypal. Get my comics a week later. Which the week is travel time, they ship within a day of me paying.
    checked them out briefly, going to have to go back and check them out some more, thanks.

any one have any other links? surely I'm not the only one who buys comics online?

Incredible Member

I use two:

Thing From Another Word (tfaw.com) for current stuff and My Comic Shop (mycomicshop.com) for current and back issues. I've had nothing but good experiences with both.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I use two:

Thing From Another Word (tfaw.com) for current stuff and My Comic Shop (mycomicshop.com) for current and back issues. I've had nothing but good experiences with both.
    cool I'll check it out.

I've used TFAW many years ago and was very happy with them.

mycomicshop.com blows everybody else away in selection and service.