Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I think a large chunk of the Dark World can be removed and it wouldn't change much. All I remember is a few scenes I can count on one hand that feel barely important to the rest of the MCU continuity.

Spider-Man Homecoming is another movie that feels barely inconsequential for the most part. In Civil War he could take a bunch of supers on his own, and this one made him unable to defeat a bunch of normal people he chose to mock instead. And the revelations that the core of the Chitauri can explode by being exposed to x-ray.. how many times have these cores been exposed to different kinds of rays without such damage?
    In the most recent "From the beginning to the Endgame" trailer, Marvel used Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Infinity War as the key franchises. They did not use footage from TIH, TWS, AoU, SM:H, or GotGv2. So I would argue those are the skip-able movies. And when you break it down, they really are.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In the most recent "From the beginning to the Endgame" trailer, Marvel used Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Infinity War as the key franchises. They did not use footage from TIH, TWS, AoU, SM:H, or GotGv2. So I would argue those are the skip-able movies. And when you break it down, they really are.
    What you mean? They used footage from every movie except HC & TIH.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    What you mean? They used footage from every movie except HC & TIH.
    The one I saw had no footage from the ones I listed.

EDIT: Apparently there's a long ass version, I just saw the TV ad. :O You are correct.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hmm...why do you think the cube was not always intended to be the space stone?
    Besides them saying that what would make you think the tesseract or aether were suppose to be stones from the jump? GoTG and AoU introduced the idea of the stones being in containment devices. Cant prove it but I assume writing Ultron is when they started thinking like that. And that's just plain spelled it out in GOTG.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Besides them saying that what would make you think the tesseract or aether were suppose to be stones from the jump? GoTG and AoU introduced the idea of the stones being in containment devices. Cant prove it but I assume writing Ultron is when they started thinking like that. And that's just plain spelled it out in GOTG.
    The MCU has been executed so well, it's honestly hard to say sometimes when something was thought out well in advance and when it was improvised. The most obvious examples of things getting switched up later involve the Infinity Gauntlet, which was in Odin's trophy room in the first Thor film and which Thanos had in an after-credits scene that doesn't gel with the Infinity War timeline.

Initially, at least, they seem to have avoided making the Tesseract a cosmic cube because they were trying to tie magical elements of Thor's world into the science of Cap and Tony's. Also, the Cosmic Cube as originally conceived never made a lot of sense. It basically was magic and far more advanced than anything else AIM ever accomplished. It makes a lot more sense that Hydra found the ancient cosmic tech and harvested it.

BANNED

Well the cube because all it ever did was show windows to other places in space, or send people or objects to other places. It was never shown to do anything else, so I don't see anything inconsistent about it being the space stone. That is, I don't think there's anything shown that makes it "obvious" they changed their mind about it mid-steam.

As for the Aether, I'm still not sure what that does, except inexplicably not kill a human it possesses and therefore comes into contact with.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 04-18-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The MCU has been executed so well, it's honestly hard to say sometimes when something was thought out well in advance and when it was improvised. The most obvious examples of things getting switched up later involve the Infinity Gauntlet, which was in Odin's trophy room in the first Thor film and which Thanos had in an after-credits scene that doesn't gel with the Infinity War timeline.

Initially, at least, they seem to have avoided making the Tesseract a cosmic cube because they were trying to tie magical elements of Thor's world into the science of Cap and Tony's. Also, the Cosmic Cube as originally conceived never made a lot of sense. It basically was magic and far more advanced than anything else AIM ever accomplished. It makes a lot more sense that Hydra found the ancient cosmic tech and harvested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Well the cube because all it ever did was show windows to other places in space, or send people or objects to other places. It was never shown to do anything else, so I don't see anything inconsistent about it being the space stone. That is, I don't think there's anything shown that makes it "obvious" they changed their mind about it mid-steam.

As for the Aether, I'm still not sure what that does, except inexplicably not kill a human it possesses and therefore comes into contact with.
    The interview with the writers I posted earlier stated that the Tesseract was the Tesseract and left vague on purpose in case they changed their minds (which they did).

In later interviews, the same writers assumed it would turn into the Cosmic Cube and become a MacGuffin for Thanos to covet in Avengers 2. It wasn't turned into the Space Stone until Avengers plotting began and Marvel wanted to bring in Thanos. The writers of TFA found out about this later when the were writing TWS and began planning the outline for Infinity War when Joss told them he wanted to use Ultron and Abomination (whom was later cut from the movie) instead of Thanos.

The writers also stated very recently that after Endgame is out, they will be sharing exactly when and why all these changes happened. Apparently, revealing all of that planning info will spoil Endgame, which tells me they planted some major hints in previous movies.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-18-2019 at 08:56 AM.

I think the Aether was mentioned as being an Infinity Stone in Thor 2's post-credit where Sif and Volstagg are leaving it with the Collector, since it would be too close to the other Infinity Stone (The Tesseract/Cube) on Asgard.

....of course he later brings another there anyway in GOTG....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

One other dangling plot thread that has always bugged me is the end of Winter Soldier, when Fury is presumed dead and Black Widow gives Steve the dossier on Bucky. Steve and Sam are planning on taking a trip to Europe to investigate. Sounds like a great buddy movie! But we never saw any of that followed up on or ever mentioned again.

I think Ultron derailed whatever plans they had for that. And in Civil War they just ended up picking right up at the end of Winter Soldier basically, with the Steve and Bucky stuff. More proof that Ultron was a big mistake (to me anyhow).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    One other dangling plot thread that has always bugged me is the end of Winter Soldier, when Fury is presumed dead and Black Widow gives Steve the dossier on Bucky. Steve and Sam are planning on taking a trip to Europe to investigate. Sounds like a great buddy movie! But we never saw any of that followed up on or ever mentioned again.

I think Ultron derailed whatever plans they had for that. And in Civil War they just ended up picking right up at the end of Winter Soldier basically, with the Steve and Bucky stuff. More proof that Ultron was a big mistake (to me anyhow).
    Steve and Sam going to europe was probably the back up plan for Cap 3 if they couldn’t make Civil War happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

I agree that it sounds like a great movie.

There was rumor the 3rd Cap movie was going to be Sam/Steve finding Clint/Nat in Europe fighting an AIM/HYDRA-backed Serpent Society while searching for Bucky. The SS was going to be using Bucky as a weapon but the good guys were going to try to turn him. The movie was slated to be Evans last Cap film, so he was going to die and Bucky would take over. The also were tentatively planning for AIM to be bigger after IM3. But plans changed, Downey agreed to come back for more films after IM3, Evans reworked his deal, and we got Civil War instead. Marvel even made a logo and advertised the junket as Serpent Society to swerve everyone with Civil War. Marvel/Disney have recently said it was a ruse to not spoil Civil War. The Russos and the writers of TFS, TWS, IW, etc. said the Serpent Society was never even in treatment form.

Sam mentions following cold leads in the AoU party scene and that he was going to follow more. That was to cover for his absence during the events of the movie.

We'll know more in a couple months but it appears AoU was going to be building towards Infinity War, if at all, more directly until IM3 changed Downey's mind. It sounds like Marvel was considering a more "grounded" universe until Evans and RDJR agreed to do more films. The directional change appears to have happened around the time of GotG and Ulton.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Seems like SHIELD pretty much took over the Hydra storyline (and even tied it to their already existing Inhuman storyline). Even as of season 5 they were *still* fighting Hydra remnants (Hale, her daughter, Strucker and sort of brainwashed Talbot).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Seeing as how I think Karen is the worst addition to the Spider-Man mythos, I'd say the scene in Spider-Man Homecoming where he's trapped inside the warehouse and talking to Karen is a complete waste and takes away screentime from actual important supporting characters.

Also the attempts to make Darren Cross three dimensional by having him see Hank Pym as a father figure and want his approval didn't add much, but I can't think of a specific scene.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Thor is my favorite trilogy of MCU movies so far. Most even.
    I feel like the Iron Man Trilogy is the most even, and Thor is kind of all over the place. After two movies of having both Asgardian and human supporting cast, the third movie kills the Warriors Three quickly and leaves out Sif and the humans entirely. At least it goes back to Thor being ruler of Asgard, which is set up in the first movie, whereas the Captain America Trilogy resolves almost nothing in the end.

Niffleheim

I haven't watched Spider-Man and I don't think I have missed much in regards to the overarching story in the MCU so my answer is Homecoming.