Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,708

    Default The key to Venomís success was playing its trailer in front of Infinity War

    This trailer was released on April 23rd a few days before Infinity War hit theaters.



    This means that the audience of a 2 billion movie had saw this trailer which also had the Marvel logo attached to it.

    I believe this is the reason why the film was able to overcome the reviews. There was way too many people interested in it to effect it that much. That and audience word of mouth helped it.

    Anybody else think this was the case?

  2. #2
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,215

    Default

    By that logic all movies with trailers on IW would have done well.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    By that logic all movies with trailers on IW would have done well.
    You’re overlooking the Marvel logo factor.

  4. #4
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    You’re overlooking the Marvel logo factor.
    I mean it's possible and having a trailer with IW didn't hurt but I really don't think that's the reason.

  5. #5
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    This trailer was released on April 23rd a few days before Infinity War hit theaters.



    This means that the audience of a 2 billion movie had saw this trailer which also had the Marvel logo attached to it.

    I believe this is the reason why the film was able to overcome the reviews. There was way too many people interested in it to effect it that much. That and audience word of mouth helped it.

    Anybody else think this was the case?
    That might give it a boost but, within a few days as word of mouth got out, it would sink or swim on it's own merits.
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

  6. #6
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    the actual key to Venom's success is China just like every Transformers movie after #3, recent Tom Cruise movies and:

    -Pacific Rim
    -TERMINATOR: GENYSIS
    -THE EXPENDABLES 3
    -GODS OF EGYPT
    -The Last Witch Hunter
    -The Great Wall
    -a few recent Vin Diesel Movies
    - A Dog's Purpose (this #*#%$@ got a sequel!)

    to name a few...............................to name a few.
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    the actual key to Venom's success is China just like every Transformers movie after #3, recent Tom Cruise movies and:

    -Pacific Rim
    -TERMINATOR: GENYSIS
    -THE EXPENDABLES 3
    -GODS OF EGYPT
    -The Last Witch Hunter
    -The Great Wall
    -a few recent Vin Diesel Movies
    - A Dog's Purpose (this #*#%$@ got a sequel!)

    to name a few...............................to name a few.
    It didn’t just do well in China though. Without China it still pulled over 200 million dollars domestically and 360 million in other countries.

  8. #8
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    It didn’t just do well in China though. Without China, it still pulled over 200 million dollars domestically and 360 million in other countries.
    Yeah but China is it's #1. Which is the most apparent fact about the film. It made $272,243,405 in China. Noticeably higher than its domestic total. Outside of China and the U.S., no other country even cracked $33 million at the box office. Thats not common. China is the reason this movie turned into such a surprise money maker. Ironically Sony didn't even expect this film to do well from what I've been told. I believe they didn't lift the review embargo till a day before. And I have to say they were smart because once I saw the film I knew it wasn't going to get a lot of awards or critical praise.

    Plus the movie had a lower than average budget for a superhero film compared to Disney and Warner superhero films. About $100 million I think, then throw in $60M to $100M for marketing and Sony is sitting on a pretty fat return. The total box office would be kind of average compared to bigger budget superhero films, but China boosted it up in a big way coupled with the lower than average budget.
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,840

    Default

    OR Venom is pretty popular in his own right

    Venomized 1 $4.99 04/04/18 Marvel 103,720

    Venom 1 $4.99 05/09/18 Marvel 225,782
    Venom 2 $3.99 06/13/18 Marvel 73,198
    Venom 3 $3.99 06/27/18 Marvel 57,527
    Venom 4 $3.99 07/25/18 Marvel 51,914
    Venom 5 $3.99 08/22/18 Marvel 64,264
    Venom 6 $3.99 09/19/18 Marvel 73,543
    Venom 7 $3.99 10/10/18 Marvel 87,198
    Venom 8 $3.99 11/14/18 Marvel 74,584
    Venom 9 $3.99 12/05/18 Marvel 64,049
    Venom 10 $3.99 01/16/19 Marvel 58,823
    Venom 11 $3.99 02/20/19 Marvel 84,904

    Web of Venom Unleashed 1 $4.99 01/09/19 Marvel 47,906
    Web of Venom Ve Nam 1 $4.99 08/29/18 Marvel 41,520
    Web of Venom Carnage Born 1 $4.99 11/21/18 Marvel 104,289
    Venom Annual 1 $4.99 10/17/18 Marvel 75,032

    I will keep simple with explanation the only character or groups who are doing better or in the same range are Batman,Wolverine, Avengers, Spiderman,Justice League, Superman,etc. When there is a decent creative team on Venom he is a top 20 character. Venom is pretty popular character there is no reason to try justify his success.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    OR Venom is pretty popular in his own right

    Venomized 1 $4.99 04/04/18 Marvel 103,720

    Venom 1 $4.99 05/09/18 Marvel 225,782
    Venom 2 $3.99 06/13/18 Marvel 73,198
    Venom 3 $3.99 06/27/18 Marvel 57,527
    Venom 4 $3.99 07/25/18 Marvel 51,914
    Venom 5 $3.99 08/22/18 Marvel 64,264
    Venom 6 $3.99 09/19/18 Marvel 73,543
    Venom 7 $3.99 10/10/18 Marvel 87,198
    Venom 8 $3.99 11/14/18 Marvel 74,584
    Venom 9 $3.99 12/05/18 Marvel 64,049
    Venom 10 $3.99 01/16/19 Marvel 58,823
    Venom 11 $3.99 02/20/19 Marvel 84,904

    Web of Venom Unleashed 1 $4.99 01/09/19 Marvel 47,906
    Web of Venom Ve Nam 1 $4.99 08/29/18 Marvel 41,520
    Web of Venom Carnage Born 1 $4.99 11/21/18 Marvel 104,289
    Venom Annual 1 $4.99 10/17/18 Marvel 75,032

    I will keep simple with explanation the only character or groups who are doing better or in the same range are Batman,Wolverine, Avengers, Spiderman,Justice League, Superman,etc. When there is a decent creative team on Venom he is a top 20 character. Venom is pretty popular character there is no reason to try justify his success.
    Venom’s domestic ticket sells alone dwarf those numbers though.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That might give it a boost but, within a few days as word of mouth got out, it would sink or swim on it's own merits.
    Yes, I even noted that was a factor.

  12. #12
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    comic sales aren't really a strong indicator for general movie going audience. The comic "buying" public is such a tiny portion of the general audience.

    Domestically Venom did okay at the box office. It wasn't record breaking by any stretch unless you count it as a horror movie. It probably broke even. Venom soared Internationally lead by the Chinese market, combined with a conservative budget to bring home a bigger pie.
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  13. #13
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,806

    Default

    Venom is one of Marvel's top selling IPs when it comes clothes, toys, etc. Like routinely top 5.

    For what it's worth.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  14. #14
    Incredible Member 5Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Venom's Success was word of mouth.. and one of the movies that pretty much debunked that Rotten Tomatoes Critic control the success\failure of a CBM movie..

  15. #15
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,179

    Default

    Adam Sandler's been debunking critical reception for years
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •