Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 104
  1. #31
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Tony Stark blowing up his armored suits at the end of Iron Man 3. "But it's like, symbolic or something!"

    We all knew he was still slated to appear in several Avengers and Captain America movies. It had zero impact on the film series. He didn't quit being Iron Man for Pepper Potts, and the destruction of the armored suits wasn't a plot point that would bite him in the ass in later installments, etc. Heck, he was still suffering from PTSD in the end credits, so it wasn't even some kind of therapeutic relief of whatever. It's just meaningless spectacle.
    I miss the Hall of Armor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I don't disagree with you, and I did like that scene for levity, but it's interesting to note that James Gunn himself wrote almost the entire Guardians arc for the movie. I'm glad he's back for Vol. 3 and that he loves these characters, but maybe that love is kind of restraining his own sense of restrain, ironically.
    I think Gunn is a big reason people love the current Guardians but I also think he's gone a little more overboard in portraying them (especially Drax) the more he's written them.

  2. #32
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,597

    Default

    I would also argue that, after "Hulk" and "The Incredible Hulk" movie, they realized that a Bruce Banner that was a quiet introvert- you know, someone who was actually Bruce Banner- just wasn't popular- yeah because, generally, quiet introverts are not the popular lives of the party- so they switched him out for a funny, likeable wisecracking quiet introvert who is nothing like the Bruce Banner of the comics because even Bruce Banner must be constantly cracking jokes. And just to prove them right, people talk about how great this Banner is (the furthest from the comic character) and how horrible the "Hulk" version of Banner was (y'know, the one who, physique aside, was the closest to the comic book character).
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

  3. #33
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

    Also, airport fight and elevator fight? Really? By that logic, almost every single fight scene ever is useless. Come on!
    For me, it might be because I didn't like how the airport fight scene was depicted. I loved the final battle between Cap and Stark tho.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    For me, the key is whether the movie works without the scene. You remove all references to the dead boy from Ultron, and not one line of dialog, or one new scene, is necessary for the movie to still make as much sense as it already does. Tony keeps trying to do the right thing, and ultimately always does the wrong thing. That's the nature of the character.

    He doesn't need Alfre to make the choice he makes.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  5. #35
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,087

    Default

    I think you fundamentally miss the point of that scene. This is a linchpin point in the film for the audience that perfectly symbolizes the heart of the upcoming struggle and the overlying debate throughout that film. Additionally, by that vague standard, half the scenes in most MCU films could be removed for the movie to "work."
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,690

    Default

    Pretty much all the jokes in Ragnarok.

  7. #37
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    For me, the key is whether the movie works without the scene. You remove all references to the dead boy from Ultron, and not one line of dialog, or one new scene, is necessary for the movie to still make as much sense as it already does. Tony keeps trying to do the right thing, and ultimately always does the wrong thing. That's the nature of the character.

    He doesn't need Alfre to make the choice he makes.
    What Ultron? Wrong movie the scene is from Civil War.

  8. #38
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The elevator fight scene in Winter Soldier. Take it out, he still escapes on the run.

    But its an awesome fight scene. I'm glad its in there.
    The elevator isn't about Cap. It's about Rumlow. Not just that he's a traitor, but that he absolutely believes he can beat Steve Rogers in a fight.

    Brock Rumlow is not a bright man. Mean, skilled. But not bright.

  9. #39
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    What Ultron? Wrong movie the scene is from Civil War.
    He means the boy died in AoU and his mom yelled at stark IN civil war

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,446

    Default

    The scene in AOU where Rhodey tries to tell his superhero story and gets clowned by the team. Like what was the point of that just to make him look like a dweeb.

  11. #41
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Pretty much all the jokes in Ragnarok.
    The whole movie tbh.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think you fundamentally miss the point of that scene. This is a linchpin point in the film for the audience that perfectly symbolizes the heart of the upcoming struggle and the overlying debate throughout that film. Additionally, by that vague standard, half the scenes in most MCU films could be removed for the movie to "work."
    I get what they are going for, I just don't think it works well. I suspect there was more to this storyline that was edited out, leaving what remains pretty pointless. Like I said, if you remove all references to this from the movie, the whole thing works just as well. There's no head-scratching "huh? What did I miss" moment as a result.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  13. #43
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,051

    Default

    Crazy Selvig in TDW

    There were better, less time consuming ways, to show that Loki being in his brain messed him up a bit.

    But going with the "crazy naked man" just resulted in eating screen time that was better spent on fleshing out Malekith.

    Especially since it was all cured in 2 seconds.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Crazy Selvig in TDW

    There were better, less time consuming ways, to show that Loki being in his brain messed him up a bit.

    But going with the "crazy naked man" just resulted in eating screen time that was better spent on fleshing out Malekith.

    Especially since it was all cured in 2 seconds.
    Crazy Selvig was great. The scene where he looks as though he's teaching class but he's in the asylum is funny stuff.

    I don't think the film was particularly interested in Malekith's personality. He's more a relentless force of nature trying to revert creation back to its default state. I think they could have made him a bit more charismatic, but I'm okay with the direction they went. It's not really about him so much as the problems he creates. Loki makes up for his lack of personality.

    I just re-watched TDW recently and liked it better the second time around. I don't know, I think going in the first time I was too wrapped up in expectations based off Walt Simonson's work and the Casket of Winters story arc. But I just enjoyed it for what it was, and man, it's a fun film because of bits like Selvig's insanity (and the intern having an intern). Most of the jokes land. And the emotional bits are great, too, like Loki's relationship with Frigga.

  15. #45
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would also argue that, after "Hulk" and "The Incredible Hulk" movie, they realized that a Bruce Banner that was a quiet introvert- you know, someone who was actually Bruce Banner- just wasn't popular- yeah because, generally, quiet introverts are not the popular lives of the party- so they switched him out for a funny, likeable wisecracking quiet introvert who is nothing like the Bruce Banner of the comics because even Bruce Banner must be constantly cracking jokes. And just to prove them right, people talk about how great this Banner is (the furthest from the comic character) and how horrible the "Hulk" version of Banner was (y'know, the one who, physique aside, was the closest to the comic book character).
    Bruce Banner and Peter Parker are the biggest departures from their comic versions IMO. Both characters lost their intensity and anti-social tendencies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •