Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Okay, so hey, we have a problem here. "Anti-social" isn't something that should be bandied casually about if we're aiming for accuracy here (especially if we're talking about how Peter was vs. his current portrayals). Those descriptions of Peter up there? Those are personality traits and normal emotions (and some as natural reactions from the plot) but those are not anti-social tendencies. A guarded personality is not a trait of being anti-social -- some of the most popular people in social circles have some of the most private of lives as well. It'd be like calling a grumpy person a hemophiliac colloquially when really the two traits are medically unrelated to each other.

It may sound like semantics but anti-social personality disorder is an actual, defined medical condition. It does not mean being a loner.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/c...ality-disorder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiso...ality_disorder
    I not sure I understand the leap from "anti-social tendencies" to "anti-social personality disorder."

If I had argued "Peter Parker has an obsessive sense of responsibility" this would not be the same as saying "Peter Parker has Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder."

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    TDW is also cited by the director and actors as the beginning of the "Marvel Way™" because Disney/Marvel/producers heavily edited and changed the film from the original cut.

“I’ve done two [blockbuster movies; the other being this week’s ‘Terminator Genisys‘] and I’ve learned that you don’t make a $170 million movie with someone else’s money and not have to collaborate a lot,” Taylor told Uproxx. “The Marvel experience was particularly wrenching because I was sort of given absolute freedom while we were shooting, and then in post it turned into a different movie. So, that is something I hope never to repeat and don’t wish upon anybody else. [‘Terminator Genisys’] was not like that. The story we started telling is essentially the story we finished and are bringing out into the world. But there was a lot of collaboration, as there is going to be on something this big.” -- Alan Taylor

I hope we get an OG cut someday ...
    Did they offer any further details as to what the original vision for the film was? I'd be interested in that.

At any rate, I find TDW an enjoyable movie.

Peter's jerkiness in the Ditko run was an effect born out of the contrast between him being a picked-on nerd versus a normal teenager. Normal teenagers come across as jerks much of the time. Post-bite Peter just dabbled in being as jerky as everyone else around him was being, because suddenly he had confidence.

I don't think being a jerk is a character quality of Peter. It was part of his heroic journey, a part that he turned his back on once his Uncle Ben died and he contemplated that all human actions have consequences. At that point Peter became more self-aware, and that is what leads to his quipping and general jokiness. He is the hero who sees the grand design behind things and doesn't just act on the spur of the moment. Its why he and Dr. Strange (another Ditko creation, btw) are such a good pairing. Both of them see "behind the curtain." A very Ditko-esque concept.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-16-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Weird that no one has mentioned what to me is the obvious choice of the Steve Rogers Sharon Carter kiss in Civil War. We're probably not going to see her in Endgame so there's no proper resolution to it and to anyone who hasn't read the comics its weird that Steve is making out to the niece of his dead girlfriend that has barely had any screen time before this.

Spectacular Member

The very last scene of Age of Ultron is also weirdly pointless, it introduces to us an Avengers team doesn't even last the first act of Civil War.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    The very last scene of Age of Ultron is also weirdly pointless, it introduces to us an Avengers team doesn't even last the first act of Civil War.
    How does that make it pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The whole movie tbh.
    Ragnarok did more to further Thor and Lokis Character arcs then any previous movie did. You might not like the humor but the movie defiently isnt pointless. Also we were finally given a Hulk who has been out long enough to grow a personality. Not to mention the ending leads right into Infinity war

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Tony Stark blowing up his armored suits at the end of Iron Man 3. "But it's like, symbolic or something!"

We all knew he was still slated to appear in several Avengers and Captain America movies. It had zero impact on the film series. He didn't quit being Iron Man for Pepper Potts, and the destruction of the armored suits wasn't a plot point that would bite him in the ass in later installments, etc. Heck, he was still suffering from PTSD in the end credits, so it wasn't even some kind of therapeutic relief of whatever. It's just meaningless spectacle.
    It would have made a powerful 'end' to the character, if Marvel had then kept Tony retired (perhaps focused on Rhodey as the Avenger's 'Iron Man').

But no. It was obviously a fake out, and worse, an ill-conceived one, because to 'Clean' the 'Slate' and blow up all of Tony's armors would have also blown up the one worn by Rhodey and carrying the President to safety at the time, which, *obviously* didn't happen (because the second he flew off screen, the writer forgot he existed and was wearing one of Tony's suits!)...

The Thor vision pool in Avengers: Age of Ultron is a close second though. Just an excuse for a shirtless Hemworth scene. (I honestly have absolutely no problem with sexy fan service in movies but "Age of Ultron" really needed more character development for both it's lead baddie and the 3 new Avengers they introduced. And this scene was just pointless filler that contributed nothing to the plot. Just have Thor's shirt ripped off during the final battle if you want that eye candy.)
    Yeah, that was gratuitous and felt pointless.

Still, this is the Thor that can be taken down by a taser, so I don't even care about MCU Thor at this point. He's one of my favorite Marvel characters in the comics, and one of my least favorite in the MCU, and that's partially on the writing and partially on the casting. At least they gave up on trying to get anything serious out of him and went the comedic route, since that seems to be the actor's strength.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    How does that make it pointless?
    It's the ending of Phrase 2 and the very last scene of the movie, yet has almost no impact on the wider story. Rather than establishing a new status quo we just have one scene with that team at the beginning of Civil War and then it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Did they offer any further details as to what the original vision for the film was? I'd be interested in that.

At any rate, I find TDW an enjoyable movie.
    - Jane was her own character and not helpless.
    - Jane ends up saving the world and Odin deems her worthy. Implied to date Thor but it's left at worthy.
    - Malekith gets WAY more time and a new subplot. Like 30 minutes was cut out.
    - Loki has more screen time.
    - Frigga's funeral is longer with more Loki.
    - Several "too violent" action scenes were cut.
    - Jane explorers more and figures out more of the Aether, she actually deduces Malekiths plan and that the Aether is an Infinity Stone, but Odin hides this from Thor. Odin takes credit for the info and Thor sees his father as a liar.
    - More Frigga talking with Loki on the sly.
    - The opening battle is longer and more desperate, with Sif being the only one holding people back until Thor arrives.

That's all we know.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-16-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Personally I like Dark World more than the other Thor movies. It felt very Norse to me, moreso than the first one and way moreso than the goofy (but still good) third one.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Personally I like Dark World more than the other Thor movies. It felt very Norse to me, moreso than the first one and way moreso than the goofy (but still good) third one.
    It felt more like a Thor movie then Ragnarok did, but maybe that's not a good thing ?

Thor is my favorite trilogy of MCU movies so far. Most even.

Guardians will probably win out in the end, though.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would also argue that, after "Hulk" and "The Incredible Hulk" movie, they realized that a Bruce Banner that was a quiet introvert- you know, someone who was actually Bruce Banner- just wasn't popular- yeah because, generally, quiet introverts are not the popular lives of the party- so they switched him out for a funny, likeable wisecracking quiet introvert who is nothing like the Bruce Banner of the comics because even Bruce Banner must be constantly cracking jokes. And just to prove them right, people talk about how great this Banner is (the furthest from the comic character) and how horrible the "Hulk" version of Banner was (y'know, the one who, physique aside, was the closest to the comic book character).

To be fair there might be some more Bixby influence there as well to Rufallo's Hulk. Rufallo even physically resembles Bixby more so than Bana and Norton. Bixby wasn't really much like the comics version of Banner either-not really as emotionally withdrawn. If I remember correctly, it was his intense frustration trying to figure out the anger=super strength thing in the pilot that caused him, in part, to overdose on the rays in the first place.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    It's the ending of Phrase 2 and the very last scene of the movie, yet has almost no impact on the wider story. Rather than establishing a new status quo we just have one scene with that team at the beginning of Civil War and then it's over.
    It did establish a new status quo: Hulk was missing, Thor left earth, Clint & Tony retired while introducing the new version of the team which was primarily made up of new additions (Wanda, Vision, Rhodey).

Without that new team forming in AoU, you can't do Civil War because there would be no team left to fall apart. So it did contribute to the overall story.