Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default A tribute to Jean Frisano, great french cover artist.

This is the tale of how I fell as a young kid into comics. A cover.
    I grew up in the suburbs of Paris in France, and one day in a book shop I fell on this cover:
    special-strange-n-25-comics-marvel.jpg

This is what draw me to comics. American comics were published in french magazines with often 3 different titles in the same book. For exemple, in Spécial Strange you had every 2 months 2 episodes of uncanny X-Men, Spider-man team-up and The Thing Team-up.

Most of those covers were drawn by Jean Frisano, a great cover artist, who made covers until his death in 1987. Those painted covers (mostly gouache and oil) are iconic, vibrant and for me gorgeous.

I will share them with you on this thread.
    Last edited by mogwen; 04-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.

These are awesome. Thanks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    These are awesome. Thanks.
    Thank you for lo and it looking at them, that's a part of my love for comics and my childhood that I don't want to be forgotten!
    A few more:
    Storm's loss of powers:
    les-etranges-x-men-adieu-tornade.jpg

Fantastic Four against the Terrifics:
    UneaventuredesFantastiques38_10052002.jpg

Demon in a bottle:
    04.jpg

comickings

I think the first time I was made aware of Jean Frisano was from an article in Comic Book Marketplace in the late '90's. I was instantly drawn to the colors of the art that was shown in the article. It was also cool back then, to see a guy doing his interpretations of our covers that we got here in the United States. A couple years later I came across a hardcover book that showed all of the LUG (Marvel comics distributor in France) covers and issue info for all of their different Marvel reprints from the '60's to the '90's...there is where I saw all of the beautiful Frisano covers. Although they small images,I could still see how good these all were. After doing internet searches back then and seeing better images of some of these covers I was able to get in contact with a guy (Jerome) that was a friend of Jean's son (Thomas) who also did cover work for LUG. Firstly with his father on some pieces and then on his own. After building a relationship with Jerome and Thomas online I was able to but some original art and get commissions from Thomas. This was the early 2000's. For the next couple years I was getting commissions from Thomas every few months,and then as life happens,I was getting out of the original art market. I still have all of my commissions and a lot of the art I got from Thomas and from a few other dealers. I have a Google search flagged for Frisano and am always happy to see someone post some art or even a thread like this. Father and son,the Frisano's did some classic stuff back in the day,and I wish I got it's due here in the states! I wish I could share some images but I can't figure out how to do it. I have most of my stuff listed on Comic artfans.com......https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery....asp?GCat=3976

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by comickings View Post
    I think the first time I was made aware of Jean Frisano was from an article in Comic Book Marketplace in the late '90's. I was instantly drawn to the colors of the art that was shown in the article. It was also cool back then, to see a guy doing his interpretations of our covers that we got here in the United States. A couple years later I came across a hardcover book that showed all of the LUG (Marvel comics distributor in France) covers and issue info for all of their different Marvel reprints from the '60's to the '90's...there is where I saw all of the beautiful Frisano covers. Although they small images,I could still see how good these all were. After doing internet searches back then and seeing better images of some of these covers I was able to get in contact with a guy (Jerome) that was a friend of Jean's son (Thomas) who also did cover work for LUG. Firstly with his father on some pieces and then on his own. After building a relationship with Jerome and Thomas online I was able to but some original art and get commissions from Thomas. This was the early 2000's. For the next couple years I was getting commissions from Thomas every few months,and then as life happens,I was getting out of the original art market. I still have all of my commissions and a lot of the art I got from Thomas and from a few other dealers. I have a Google search flagged for Frisano and am always happy to see someone post some art or even a thread like this. Father and son,the Frisano's did some classic stuff back in the day,and I wish I got it's due here in the states! I wish I could share some images but I can't figure out how to do it. I have most of my stuff listed on Comic artfans.com......https://www.comicartfans.com/Gallery....asp?GCat=3976
    Thank you for all your informations! Glad I find another Frisano fan! Others don't seem really interested in this thread unfortunately. Lack of curiosity? Nevermind, I will keep on feeding this thread until Frisano gets the recognition he deserves!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

These are cool! I like seeing a different take on familiar covers ... and these look painted.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    These are cool! I like seeing a different take on familiar covers ... and these look painted.
    Yes, gouache and oil! Frisano was a great cover painter, waaay before Alex Ross!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Agreed. During my formative years, my family and I would travel to Europe quite a few times. I would always see these types of periodicals either at the hotel where we were staying or at the station while waiting for a train. These covers are as lovely as ever, and they truly bring back heartfelt memories.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. During my formative years, my family and I would travel to Europe quite a few times. I would always see these types of periodicals either at the hotel where we were staying or at the station while waiting for a train. These covers are as lovely as ever, and they truly bring back heartfelt memories.
    Thank you, I'm so happy to share them! AsI explained it already, it's a little like sharing my childhood and what brought me to comics (well, that and Claremont and Byrne's X-Men!). I will post as much covers as I can find. Some treasures are better shared.

Incredible Member

Today's launch!

Prisonners of the Submariner. I don't know why Hulk is on this cover and not Namor!!!)
    une-aventure-des-fantastiques-n-25-prisonnier-du-prince-des-mers-comics-marvel.jpg

And a cool Daredevil cover with the Jester!
    strange45.jpg

And a cool X-Men album cover Live free or die is the title!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mogwen; 04-22-2019 at 06:12 PM.