Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Star Wars: Age of Resistance books announced, Finn The Janitor!??

What kind of crazy does it take to seriously make a book about Finn a black guy and the point of attention is supposed to be the fact he was Janitor!!! this has to be the most tone deaf release announcement I have ever heard. I wonder what type of energy would there be if Rey was a prostitute in her past and that is what's mentioned over jedi neophyte in her new book.

iMan 42s

Well that's something of an overreaction unless I missed something on it being offensive for a black man to be a janitor.

Finn was long since established as a janitor when he was on Starkiller and for that matter he only first saw action on Jakku. If Jakku was his very first operation, what was he doing otherwise? When he was at Starkiller he was just the janitor.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Well that's something of an overreaction unless I missed something on it being offensive for a black man to be a janitor.

Finn was long since established as a janitor when he was on Starkiller and for that matter he only first saw action on Jakku. If Jakku was his very first operation, what was he doing otherwise? When he was at Starkiller he was just the janitor.
    The very fact that of all the possibilities of what he could be dude is a Janitor...??? To white folk that have seen black men put into lowly positions like this I'm sure plenty would clueless as to how this aesthetic trash on so many levels. I think it's a perfect backhand answer as to why they did a bait and switch on who was going to be the jedi that was awakened. The sensibilities of many would be conflicted if Finn was made the key to the next generation of jedi.

Disney's antics with Finn don't even surprise me anymore. I remember something that said he also had one of the highest marks among Stormtroopers when it came to shooting, but I don't remember that being displayed in the films.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

iMan 42s

That's a little late considering that's been a thing since TFA.

I can't attest to how things would've gone had Finn been the Jedi in the sequel trilogy.
    However as things went Finn was fairly green by the time we see him in TFA. Jakku was his first op and despite being top of his class, he hadn't gotten the call for much of really anything. And to that end, most FO Stormtroopers didn't. The conflict didn't really begin until the destruction of the Hosnian system so outside of the security details, small skirmishes, and wherever Kylo Ren went, Stormtroopers aren't and can't really do much. Outside of their own space they aren't really doing much of anything.

And to that end, what else is Finn doing? We know he didn't spend all of his time on Starkiller, just enough cleaning areas that he knew the layout. It's not unheard of even in the Empire to have menial jobs like secretary or even the Republic with clones performing maintenance on gear or just cleaning up.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Disney's antics with Finn don't even surprise me anymore. I remember something that said he also had one of the highest marks among Stormtroopers when it came to shooting, but I don't remember that being displayed in the films.
    EXACTLY!!! Funny how things work. This high aptitude stormtrooper is what we have but they push the narrative of him being a Janitor, again this is laughable and demeaning while telegraphing exactly how this trilogy's creators are just dense, but very predictable when certain folk are left to do all the world building. We get black Janitors that are high achieving fighters but get made to be stepnfetchit, bumbling cowards that get friendzoned by female opposite. It's a shame that Ryan Coogler could direct this movie see that we could see how Finn should have been done properly.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Honestly I am more interested in the Snoke issue so we can actually get some insight into who the guy was since right now it seems like TROS is just gonna forget he exists in favour of Palps...

I honestly thought it was in poor taste as well, but I can't really blame the book series, as it was first attributed to Finn in "The Force Awakens."

Although I could see Finn placed on janitorial services as punishment for not wanting to shoot unarmed combatants or disobeying some other order from his superiors that he found morally objectionable. As of right now though it is just used as a piece of comic relief.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I honestly thought it was in poor taste as well, but I can't really blame the book series, as it was first attributed to Finn in "The Force Awakens."

Although I could see Finn placed on janitorial services as punishment for not wanting to shoot unarmed combatants or disobeying some other order from his superiors that he found morally objectionable. As of right now though it is just used as a piece of comic relief.
    I could see that as well. I don't think Navy's have a permanent janitor and it's usually decided by the CO who has to do what job. I could be wrong on that though.

iMan 42s

Apparently in the First Order they are rotated around various jobs which makes sense considering the FO basically governs and maintains itself.

Finn was a janitor on Starkiller base, but he was officially a Stormtrooper. He was also at one point an Executioner due to them being rotated as well. We also know that while both Stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire and First Order are trained and seen on Naval ships, the First Order doesn't have a specific Naval unit. First Order Stormtroopers are both Army and Navy though they don't pilot, they can maintain and maneuver ships. We also know them to be Riot control and unlike the police (Patrol/riot trooper) of the Empire, the First Order pulls them from the Stormtroopers outright and it's just a change in armament.

So there is precedent for them being rotated around various tasks.

Apparently in the First Order they are rotated around various jobs which makes sense considering the FO basically governs and maintains itself.

Finn was a janitor on Starkiller base, but he was officially a Stormtrooper. He was also at one point an Executioner due to them being rotated as well. We also know that while both Stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire and First Order are trained and seen on Naval ships, the First Order doesn't have a specific Naval unit. First Order Stormtroopers are both Army and Navy though they don't pilot, they can maintain and maneuver ships. We also know them to be Riot control and unlike the police (Patrol/riot trooper) of the Empire, the First Order pulls them from the Stormtroopers outright and it's just a change in armament.

Thank for doing an amazing job of showing just how stupid it is to frontline the Janitor narrative at all! Talk about this former Stormtrooper, talk about the training he's had and elude to the potential badass he can be. Any of those things in any order. Why pick the least impressive picture to start a box that you want people to read. Btw, I'm serious with the accolades to what you posted. I get that the book isn't out yet, but again my thing is how they are starting things off. Hell at least do what the movie did and make me believe Finn was going to be a jedi before they lie.

Ultimate Member

But WHY would you state he's a janitor?

If that is how the FO does things-your solicitation should NOT mention he's a janitor.

IDW's Star Wars Adventures #3 with Finn said this

When Finn finds an adorable baby creature hiding in an Imperial ship, it’s up to him to find a home for the mischief maker before Captain Phasma kicks them both into space!

This marks the second (first Marvel proper) solo story of Finn. This is not how you are going to get folks to buy it. Folks who are already turned off by how badly Finn has been done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But WHY would you state he's a janitor?

If that is how the FO does things-your solicitation should NOT mention he's a janitor.

IDW's Star Wars Adventures #3 with Finn said this

When Finn finds an adorable baby creature hiding in an Imperial ship, it’s up to him to find a home for the mischief maker before Captain Phasma kicks them both into space!

This marks the second (first Marvel proper) solo story of Finn. This is not how you are going to get folks to buy it. Folks who are already turned off by how badly Finn has been done so far.
    Lol, sad to know that there are so many people that truly are oblivious to the shenanigans.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, sad to know that there are so many people that truly are oblivious to the shenanigans.
    No, I'm just not overreacting.

He was a janitor at one point in time. If he never did a mission before Jakku and he never had to kill anybody as an Executioner, what else was he doing besides drills? We are allowed to have smaller moments because not every moment in Star Wars has to be or can be the "destiny moment", Finn happened to have come from a simple background despite where he was raised. That simple, and the film established it.

This is also a one-shot of one moment in time and Finn is pretty much accounted for by the time we see him on film. You are more than free to ignore it, nobody besides the Star Wars fanbase is going to even remember this came to stands in a month or two anyways just like the last Age of Republic books. You are free to ignore, it's only 20 pages at least, and the films wont bother addressing it.

Honestly this is the exact kind of nerd rage people make fun of us for.

No, I'm just not overreacting.

He was a janitor at one point in time. If he never did a mission before Jakku and he never had to kill anybody as an Executioner, what else was he doing besides drills? We are allowed to have smaller moments because not every moment in Star Wars has to be or can be the "destiny moment", Finn happened to have come from a simple background despite where he was raised. That simple, and the film established it.

This is also a one-shot of one moment in time and Finn is pretty much accounted for by the time we see him on film. You are more than free to ignore it, nobody besides the Star Wars fanbase is going to even remember this came to stands in a month or two anyways just like the last Age of Republic books. You are free to ignore, it's only 20 pages at least, and the films wont bother addressing it.

Honestly this is the exact kind of nerd rage people make fun of us for.
    Lol, it's has nothing to do with rage per say, but unless you happen to be a black male that has awareness of the crappy dicpictations in different media formats you may just be blinded to there being an issue. Just because you don't perceive something doesn't mean its not present.