Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Lightbulb Lucasfilm is clueless

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    What kind of crazy does it take to seriously make a book about Finn a black guy and the point of attention is supposed to be the fact he was Janitor!!! this has to be the most tone deaf release announcement I have ever heard. I wonder what type of energy would there be if Rey was a prostitute in her past and that is what's mentioned over jedi neophyte in her new book.
    dkrook, I thought you were joking!

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-age-of-re...e-shot-comics/
    "The Finn story takes place in his earlier days when he was a stormtrooper on Starkiller Base," Assistant Editor Tom Groneman explained. It will show the glimmer of morality that later enables the character to break free of the First Order.

"We also get to see Janitor Finn," Lucasfilm Story Group's Matt Martin added. "That's the main selling point."
    That is the main selling point?!
    I know the Janitor G.I. Joe was my favorite toy as a kid.
    Apparently it is not just the film division of Lucasfilm that is clueless.

Excelsior!

Daoud

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    dkrook, I thought you were joking!

That is the main selling point?!
    I know the Janitor G.I. Joe was my favorite toy as a kid.
    Apparently it is not just the film division of Lucasfilm that is clueless.

Excelsior!

Daoud
    Lol, and some folk on here don't even get how thick headed all this is and feebly try to flip the script as if I'm sensitive or crazy for pointing this slop out.

The Marvel Star Wars comics have mostly been terrible anyways I much preferred it when Dark Horse had the license. I agree, totally tone deaf.

Empty is thy hand!

You'd think they would try and bury or retcon this ****, but nope, the fact that the runaway slave who was named by his emancipator had just previously been a janitor is a feature, not a bug.

Where's the article this is all coming from? All I'm finding is Finn and Rey will be featured and nothing about Finn being a janitor. I don't doubt you but ... I can't find it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-more-1201887

Also, have any of you been in the military? Because America's enlisted members are primarily janitors. Their MOS comes in second. I once had to mop the RAIN. THE RAIN!

I still have dreams about mopping and sweeping ...

EDIT: Found a Finn the Janitor one. When you get KP or worse in service, you done fucked up good. Something tells me straight A student Finn was a bit of the rebel. You guys are so nitpicky ... if he got KP or kaibo duty or whatever ... Finn clearly didn't follow orders. He was top 1% for shooting and worked execution, no? Sounds like he failed to kill somebody, got punished, sanitized SKB's floors, and was sent to Jakku to kill some people to redeem himself. Failed again, had to give up his weapon for more punishment, and then went AWOL with Poe. Probably not going to be what happens, I know.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-19-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Where's the article this is all coming from? All I'm finding is Finn and Rey will be featured and nothing about Finn being a janitor. I don't doubt you but ... I can't find it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...y-more-1201887

Also, have any of you been in the military? Because America's enlisted members are primarily janitors. Their MOS comes in second. I once had to mop the RAIN. THE RAIN!

I still have dreams about mopping and sweeping ...

EDIT: Found a Finn the Janitor one. When you get KP or worse in service, you done fucked up good. Something tells me straight A student Finn was a bit of the rebel. You guys are so nitpicky ... if he got KP or kaibo duty or whatever ... Finn clearly didn't follow orders. He was top 1% for shooting and worked execution, no? Sounds like he failed to kill somebody, got punished, sanitized SKB's floors, and was sent to Jakku to kill some people to redeem himself. Failed again, had to give up his weapon for more punishment, and then went AWOL with Poe. Probably not going to be what happens, I know.

I understand that those duties are sometimes punishment.

I don't have to be in the military to know once upon a time being a janitor in the army was all blacks got to be during World War 1 & 2 until folks fought back.

What is insulting is the fact he is a janitor is the SELLING point made by an employee of the company.

Why couldn't it be enforced that this story sets the seeds for his encounter with Poe? Why is janitor being enforced?

With a guy who has barely been used outside of the movies.

I wonder what type of energy would there be if Rey was a prostitute in her past and that is what's mentioned over jedi neophyte in her new book.
    She could be that since we have seen a lot of other books and comics with her as a lead. You can spin the going from a hooker to scavenger to Jedi warrior path. You have gotten a someone developed character.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I understand that those duties are sometimes punishment.

I don't have to be in the military to know once upon a time being a janitor in the army was all blacks got to be during World War 1 & 2 until folks fought back.

What is insulting is the fact he is a janitor is the SELLING point made by an employee of the company.

Why couldn't it be enforced that this story sets the seeds for his encounter with Poe? Why is janitor being enforced?

With a guy who has barely been used outside of the movies.

She could be that since we have seen a lot of other books and comics with her as a lead. You can spin the going from a hooker to scavenger to Jedi warrior path. You have gotten a someone developed character.
    I don't think that's a selling point but okay.

Have to wait and see.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Lightbulb Lucasfilm thinks the best thing about Finn is being a Janitor.

BeastieRunner, see my quote and link.

A representative of the Lucasfilm Story Group itself literally said seeing Finn as a Janitor is the MAIN selling point of the story.

I repeat, what kid wants to see themselves as a janitor?

Apparently the writers of Star Wars don't see how this looks.
    Rey, Finn and Poe were the new Leia, Luke and Han however you permute those roles.
    Per the original trilogy, those characters were treated with respect and portrayed as central to the story.
    There were no breathless stories from the Expanded Universe of Luke as a moisture farmer, for instance, talking about how that is the main selling point.

I don't know what they are thinking.
    It's just ridiculous.

Excelsior!

Daoud
    Last edited by Daoud; 04-19-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added url

Oh, good grief. "Finn was a janitor" is one of those fan misconceptions that needs to die in a fire. The guy was assigned responsibilities during his cadet days on the base and it happened to be working with the sanitation systems. That's how real militaries work and he wasn't alone (Before the Awakening notes that one of his squadmates was a dishwasher during that time).

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Disney's antics with Finn don't even surprise me anymore. I remember something that said he also had one of the highest marks among Stormtroopers when it came to shooting, but I don't remember that being displayed in the films.
    "You are so right"; we only saw it when he was escaping in the TIE and the Falcon and on Takodana.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Oh, good grief. "Finn was a janitor" is one of those fan misconceptions that needs to die in a fire. The guy was assigned responsibilities during his cadet days on the base and it happened to be working with the sanitation systems. That's how real militaries work and he wasn't alone (Before the Awakening notes that one of his squadmates was a dishwasher during that time).

"You are so right"; we only saw it when he was escaping in the TIE and the Falcon and on Takodana.
    Truth it needs to be "killed" Let's start with the book's creators stop using it as the hook!!?? Try selling Captain America...as the skinny guy, or Spiderman...as the geeky nerd getting picked on, or Luke Cage as regular old convict with no power. Now before we get into protocol debate on space military let's remember that we trying to sell books here. Most fanboys rarely get into black male characters that somehow are a rarity in the whole cosmos, now we putting labels as Janitors. Is that what we doing now??? Lol, nobody is being sensitive this mess is just silly.

the janitor thing seems to be a thing

best something white jocks compared to your serving black person. and i alważs liked billy joel
    Last edited by abulafia; 04-24-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I don't think that's a selling point but okay.

Have to wait and see.
    It's just very tone deaf the way they present it, they actually say "this is the main selling point".

We also get to see Janitor Finn," Lucasfilm Story Group's Matt Martin added. "That's the main selling point."

I was in the military too so my first assumption was the same, that everybody gets to be janitors in the military...but this just comes off a bit different, like they are making a specific point out of Finn being a janitor in the FO.

damn, my supernatural sense were telling me there was somthing up with disney and billy joel.
    wrong franchise though

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

So just saw the new "filler" novel that's supposed to take place prior to Rise of Skywalker... needless to say I guess Poe is very important to the story. It's funny how I remember this whole thing was about Finn and Rey, heck the early script had Poe getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So just saw the new "filler" novel that's supposed to take place prior to Rise of Skywalker... needless to say I guess Poe is very important to the story. It's funny how I remember this whole thing was about Finn and Rey, heck the early script had Poe getting killed.
    The tie-ins have focused a lot on minor characters and Poe was upgraded to being a lead during filming.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)