Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It actually is.
    My bad, I read an article when they were first announced that they were stories not steeped in continuity for kids. Guess I mistook not steeped in continuity as non-cannon.

I may want to catch up on them then.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 06-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    My bad, I read an article when they were first announced that they were stories not steeped in continuity for kids. Guess I mistook not steeped in continuity as non-cannon.

I may want to catch up on them then.
    You can get digest trades, which compile about two regular stories with the short backups from the issues. There also seems to be an omnibus format, which will start publishing in 2020. I myself may stop getting the trades in favor of waiting for those.

It's an anthology series, with stories from across the eras and no real framing for each (although most of the short backups are framed as a sequel to the Adventures in Wild Space series, with a grandson retelling stories he's heard. They also are pretty continuity-lite in terms of generally making sense if one has only seen the movies, but there are a few deep cuts. I don't think it's the very best of the very best, but it does have a great deal of charm to it and some of the stories are pretty funny.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I just think Finn is hot. And Ray Fisher was one of the people who auditioned for him! CYBORG!!
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I just think Finn is hot. And Ray Fisher was one of the people who auditioned for him! CYBORG!!
    I'm kinda thinking we lucked out, given how well John Boyega has done in the role.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

"Couldn't do that last night"
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

I'm kinda thinking we lucked out, given how well John Boyega has done in the role.
    He may be a very good actor, but the way he's been used leaves a lot to be desired. Finn could have been made into a hero with layers to his character. Instead we got a simp that isn't good enough to get the main girl, not competent enough to show the skills he is supposed to have as a trained soldier, and they whiffed on letting he be a jedi. I mean what kind of doofus rule says that Finn and Rey both could be Jedi. Its telling that even bad guys are getting better traction than what was supposed to be one of the main heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    He may be a very good actor, but the way he's been used leaves a lot to be desired. Finn could have been made into a hero with layers to his character.
    Like how he often acts with selfish motivation of self-preservation but still is decent enough to help specific people when he sees a need? Or that he has a story arc of learning to look beyond just his and his own but then needing to be shown to know when to stop fighting?

Instead we got a simp that isn't good enough to get the main girl...
    And yet we got this:

I could be wrong but, besides being the "everything's going to be okay moment of the final act, it's also the happiest we've seen Rey for the whole run time of that movie. We also saw the same in the previous film, not to mention them play out the sequel trilogy's take on ESB's Han and Leia in the Hoth corridor.

Also for your consideration:

- Rey doesn't seem to think about even trying to escape the dying Starkiller Base with Finn out of commission and possibly dead in TFA (until Chewie comes). The last thing we see her doing before leaving at the end is promising Finn that she's coming back.

- In TLJ, after realizing she'll be waiting on Luke for a while, when listing of stuff she and Chewie should do in the meantime, getting news on Finn is high on Rey's priority list. She also asks Chewie to give him a last message if she doesn't come back from her mission to recruit Kylo Ren to their side.

- Read the TFA novelization (adult and junior) and TLJ novelization (adult) sometime. They might surprise you. Heck, I've got some choice quotes on my hard drive I can cite on command.

...not competent enough to show the skills he is supposed to have as a trained soldier...
    And yet we see him be an expert with a blaster (all movies), pick up being a ship's gunner with no prior experience (TFA), beat Phasma at her own game (TLJ), use a lightsaber pretty well -- something non-Force users normally suck at (TFA), handle infiltrating enemy turf pretty well (all movies), and retain a great deal of practical knowledge about military technology that's beyond his training (all movies).

(Admittedly, Finn's level of training may have been somewhat in flux during filming of TFA; while most sources follow the "top of his class," the TFA adult novelization goes from the assumption that he was normal, unremarkable solider. Both backstories would fit with what we see in that first film, but the second clearly confirms the former.)

...and they whiffed on letting he be a jedi. I mean what kind of doofus rule says that Finn and Rey both could be Jedi.
    None, but there was no reason he had to be (and it would've raised the question why the First Order hadn't realized it and transferred him to the Knights of Ren or something). Besides, that was just an aspect of the mystery box marketing of the movie; in the film proper, there's never any suggestion that Finn was a Force-user and he uses the lightsaber after Rey is shown to be the new Jedi character. Heck, the reason he's given custody of if after she runs from it is because of the bond they have, not because he could be a replacement.

Its telling that even bad guys are getting better traction than what was supposed to be one of the main heroes.
    One villain is getting anything resembling better traction and it's common enough to have the main antagonist do their own story arc alongside the heroes. It's not really worth noting, except as good writing.

(To sum things up: "You're killing me, Smalls.")
    Last edited by WebLurker; 07-01-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

None, but there was no reason he had to be (and it would've raised the question why the First Order hadn't realized it and transferred him to the Knights of Ren or something). Besides, that was just an aspect of the mystery box marketing of the movie; in the film proper, there's never any suggestion that Finn was a Force-user and he uses the lightsaber after Rey is shown to be the new Jedi character. Heck, the reason he's given custody of if after she runs from it is because of the bond they have, not because he could be a replacement.
    Finn is the only character in the movies to fight with a light saber and not be a Force-user, the only other person in the movies to use one was Han when he cut a tauntaun open.

Instead we got a simp that isn't good enough to get the main girl.
    Why does the main girl have to be got? As for as I can tell no one has got her. Finn is the only one in the story so far to have a romantic interest.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 07-02-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Finn is the only character in the movies to fight with a light saber and not be a Force-user, the only other person in the movies to use one was Han when he cut a tauntaun open.
    You forgot General Grievous.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You forgot General Grievous.
    I was going to edit my reply, The prequel episodic villains didn't have much to them, Maul like Boba Fett looked cool so he stood out. Count Dooku's reveal on his connection to Obi Wan felt like Dark Helmet's from Space Balls.

Why does the main girl have to be got? As for as I can tell no one has got her. Finn is the only one in the story so far to have a romantic interest.

Plus there's the whole thing about Jedi and romantic stuff. Luke never really gets a romance in the original films (Leia really doesn't count), and of course Anakin's romance with Padme is one of the major factors in his downfall. It's unknown if Luke practiced the Jedi celibacy in the 30 year gap or let Rey know about it. There seems to be some slight romantic tension between Rey and Kylo, but that's about it.

Of course the original EU had Mara Jade of course (as well as other shorter romances, Lumiya for example) and Luke pretty much ditched the whole thing (That Jedi couldn't marry/love etc didn't really become canon until AOTC anyway, but the EU had already crossed that bridge and the explanation was just that Luke just wanted to run things differently) and the new EU had Luke with the Tula lady in one of the recent arcs.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-03-2019 at 06:25 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I was going to edit my reply, The prequel episodic villains didn't have much to them, Maul like Boba Fett looked cool so he stood out. Count Dooku's reveal on his connection to Obi Wan felt like Dark Helmet's from Space Balls.
    Okay. Not sure about the Dooku stuff, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Plus there's the whole thing about Jedi and romantic stuff. Luke never really gets a romance in the original films (Leia really doesn't count), and of course Anakin's romance with Padme is one of the major factors in his downfall. It's unknown if Luke practiced the Jedi celibacy in the 30 year gap or let Rey know about it.
    From the movie and the novelization, it never came up; of course, Luke's interest was in showing Rey why the Jedi needed to be over, so it's not like he would've been instructing her on how to resume it.

There seems to be some slight romantic tension between Rey and Kylo, but that's about it.
    If that.

Of course the original EU had Mara Jade of course (as well as other shorter romances, Lumiya for example) and Luke pretty much ditched the whole thing (That Jedi couldn't marry/love etc didn't really become canon until AOTC anyway, but the EU had already crossed that bridge and the explanation was just that Luke just wanted to run things differently) and the new EU had Luke with the Tula lady in one of the recent arcs.
    There was also that woman from the Heir to the Jedi novel.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Okay. Not sure about the Dooku stuff, but there it is.
    Dark Helmet: I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.
    Lone Star: So what does that make us?
    Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

Obi Wan :Qui-Gon Jinn would never join you.
    Count Dooku : Don't be so sure, my young Jedi. You forget that he was once my apprentice, just as you were once his.

The fact that Qui-Gon Jinn was trained by Count Dooku was in turn trained by Yoda really added nothing to the story (movie wise anyway) same with Dark Helmet's. It was like creating a link just to have one take it out and you would change absolutely nothing in the move.

There seems to be some slight romantic tension between Rey and Kylo, but that's about it.
    I didn't see it as romantic really. I don't think that Rey will have any romantic interest in the movies like Luke didn't
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 07-05-2019 at 02:49 PM.

The Dooku thing does sort of slightly explain why Qui Gon was slightly unorthodox.

Unfortunately although Qui-Gon was interesting, the OT pretty much implied that in his youth, Obi-Wan was reckless and a bit overconfident, and this perhaps had a role in Anakin's fall. ("So was I, if you remember; "I thought I could instruct him just as well as Yoda"). It was presumed by some fans that this is why Ewan Mcgregor was cast, as he did have a bit of a reputation as a "bad boy" actor at that point.

Qui-Gon actually was Obi-Wan in earlier scripts, but Lucas decided to split the character pretty much in two, and instead of reckless Obi-Wan we sort of wound up with a Jedi who was more by-the-book than his master....and Obi-Wan's training really didn't have any major role in Anakin's downfall when you think about it. If anything, Obi-Wan was pretty much separated from Anakin both times when stuff went bad.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-05-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth